Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Christina

Encouragement & Tool For Those Struggling

Good Morning -

Recently in answer to the Lord, I've been 'set aside' to do some deep digging and rooting out of past ugliness (that I had thought was finished), that is impeding my relationship with my Lord and elsewhere in my life. From reading others' posts, there's a variety of struggles out there and I wanted to share a word that has been fascinating and helpful to me, in hopes that it is helpful and encouraging to others.

The tool is that we people have biological proof that the Lord created our brains for language - particularly spoken - to overrule our emotions, and can put emotions under subjection to our thoughts and what we say.

Maybe not a new revelation to many, but perhaps added proof to those with an already verbally active relationship in the Lord. But for those of us who've been raised prayerfully conservative and quiet, it adds spiritual credence to the human addage that we are what we think. God says so, too. And sometimes, when our walk recieves blow after blow from the enemy, it's easy to forget the power of Godly thinking and we think we don't have the strength to claim the Truth, when in reality, it's the Truth that will give us the strength!

June Hunt, (Christian), Host of the nationally syndicated broadcasts, Hope For The Heart and Hope In The Night writes in her book, How To Handle Your Emotions, "When a painful situation causes us to react with negative emotions, the thoughts that follow that reaction will determine if those emotions will rule us or if the truth will rule us.

"Why? There is actually a physical connection in all this, based on how God designed the human brain. When we feel emotional pain, if the language center of the brain is activated, the strength in the emotional center of the brain is automatically reduced. This means our thoughts have power over our emotions - even to the point of overriding our emotions and bringing them into subjection. (auth italics)

"Because the spoken word has more power than the unspoken word, it is important to speak words of truth - words of faith - in order that truth and faith may be strengthened within you. Ultimately, feelings follow thinking. (auth ital). Therefore, what you say to yourself about yourself, about your situation, about your future, and even about God will determine how you feel about yourself, your situation, your future, and God and His relationship with you. As you line up your thinking with God's thinking, your words will bring life, not death.

"The tongue has the power of life and death" (Proverbs 18:21)

She also gives good scripture response to asking 'What do you think about yourself?'

"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,' says the Lord, who has compassion on you" (Isaiah 54:10)

"What do you think about your situation?" (Unfair, intolerable, helpless...)

"You can say with the apostle Paul, "I can do anything through him who gives me strength" (Phil 4:13)

"If you are walking in darkness, then cherish these words from the Lord:"

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will giude them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them" (Isaiah 42:16)

Isn't that last one especially beautiful? God Bless you if you are struggling; we are all on our own different journeys with our Lord and Savior. I'm going to put this in ferverent practice and see what happens. This reading has blessed my journey and made it a little easier and sweeter with the Hope of The Lord, I pray it will help you, too.

thumbs :clap2: After reading this I am glad that you posted it cause it will speak volumes to many people especially me for I do understand the power of words yet there are times when we can really beat ourselves up when God doesn't see us the way we see or even think or talk about ourselves Blessings to you for posting this

I agree - sometimes the enemy's multiple lies out-shout the Lord's Truth - even the truths that we know well.
For me it's helpful to hear again from another perspective and I love it when science proves the bible! Ha!

Glad to know it was helpful - God Bless You - One day we'll be reflecting on our trials as we celebrate at the Lord's Bridal Feast - we can toast that we made it through all this once and for all!

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial (James 1:12)

This is not our true reality, Praise God, only the rocky path to it!

Happy Trails!