Study on Christians and the Use of Numbers - Please read and submit a reply

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Study on Christians and the Use of Numbers - Please read and submit a reply

Post by daphanie02 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:12 pm

:clap:

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Mia

I'm a lousy example of a Christian but a PERFECT example of God's Grace.

http://www.heartsongministry.com

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

View user profile http://www.miasherwood.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:17 pm

OOOHH I love that, did you add it to your signature?

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sC0rCh3d on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:18 pm

yes, there definately is a difference in what Mia has wrote in her articles vs. some other Christian Dream sites.

not that the other sites were stupid or INTENTIONALLY misleading, but Mia has made things really clear and makes me want to ask questions.

sC0rCh3d

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Thank you SO much, Resolution! Hearing stuff like that makes all the hours of typing worthwhile! It means that it is helping!

:bighug:

Last edited by Mia on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:24 pm

yeah apparently you can upload pics by using the host link and then paste the URL into your signature

Last edited by Mia on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:08 pm

VERY cool! cool

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sC0rCh3d on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:04 pm

this Censored is NOT a Bible/God oriented site, but I found it interesting that what it has to say regarding numbers VERY MUCH resembles what i have seen on Biblical sites.

THIS particular site seems to indicate that numbers do have some type of SYMBOLLIC meaning.

numbers like 1 and 4 and 10 have certain feelings to them, it's hard to explain.

but one denotes SINGULARITY, INDIVIDUALITY...duh!

four...completeness...a SQUARE would not be complete without FOUR sides.

10...powers of 10...strength...cream of the crop...etc...

thanks.

sC0rCh3d

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:07 pm

The sites might be biblical and the site you referenced might be not biblical but either site has no evidence and examples of symbolic use of numbers, and their symbolic definitions, in the bible it's not biblical no matter which site posted it.

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by sC0rCh3d on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Well as I just explained...there DOES seem to be some symbollic gesture to dreams.

For example, do you REALLY think that Jacob had 12 sons for the heck of it?

Do you think that God created the world in 7 days for the heck of it? Why not just 6?

We are not God, we can't know everything, but He certainly has a purpose for ALL numbers.

sC0rCh3d

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:14 pm

There is some symbolism in dreams. Sometimes more than others but that does not automatically mean that God uses numbers in dreams symbolically.

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 pm

I think that while there is a biblical pattern related to the use of dreams, that's still different than the way in which numbers are used in dreams. Through this discussion, I think we successfully showed that in biblical dreams the use of numbers was still literal, not symbolic.

Even in our dreams, the numbers are typically literal. However, here's something to ponder...Is it possible that a form of subconscious dreaming could take place? For example, if I dream of meeting three men, the first thing that would come to mind is that the men might represent the Holy Trinity because there are three of them versus another number. The question is whether this is symbolic use of a number. If it is, is it God using the number symbolically or is it the dreamer?

I believe that the dreamer's psyche (e.g., life experience, belief system, fears, interests, training, etc.) may influence the way they receive certain symbols (Mia, I think you discussed this in another topic) as well as influence the way certain symbols manifest. If this is the case, then is it plausible that there could be instances where the number could be symbolic but the symbolism is a form of subconscious dreaming?

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:18 am

I do believe this is possible and if it does happen it would undependable. Usually whatever we contribute (subconsciously) to a dream (see my dream about prophetic dreams which are prophetic but don't mean much for an example) is as fallable as we are. While it may be accurate sometimes things that come from our conscious are not dependable and will fail us which is why I am very strict about not interpreting numbers in my own dreams, or when I speak with anyone else, with anything other than a literal interpretation.

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:43 am

Yes, agreed that they're not dependable....

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:45 am

That was a great point and a good inclusion into this topic, Lurdys.

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

biblical reasons to believe God uses #'s prophetically

Post by Jodi on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:10 pm

Mia,
My advice is to use Bible Gateway.com to search for numbers being used in Scriptures. Then examine thoses Scriptures to see if there are any instances in which the number of an item or occurrence was used in a symbolic way. If so, then God uses numbers symbolicly. If there are no instances of numbers being used symbolicly, then numbers must be intended to be understood literally.

From the things I've read, most say that numbers are symbolic. If they really are, then the best advice I've read is from an article by Andrew Harris. He says that you should find the first occurrance of the number in Scripture. Whatever the number symbolizes in that Scripture will hold true throughout Scriptures and can be trusted for interpreting our own dreams.

I look forward to reading your lesson when you post it. Thanks.

- Jodi

Jodi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Thanks for your reply. In dreams, biblical examples of numbers are always literal therefore I always take them literally and that is what I teach.

I know I am not perfect though so I ask for the experience of others, and for their biblical basis to support symbolism in numbers, to see if I am missing anything and so far the bible supports what I understand to be true and I have not seen anything that would cause me to use numbers symbolically.

Love,
Mia

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by hisbeauty4ashes on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:47 pm

Daph, thanks for steering me here, I do not know how I missed this site maybe it all started when I had surgery or something.

Mia, I posted on the dream site about always seeing 5 every where and waking up at 5AM for over a month now. I find nickles all around my house and I pick one up and put it in my purse then found another one in another area of my house and I am like what is up with that! what I am single and live alone so it is like am I know I just picked that nickle up. scratching chin Hey you found my my smiley guy thanks! hehe!

anyway, I looked on here and it is like wow this page is like a book!

:cmere:

hisbeauty4ashes

View user profile http://www.hisheartbeat4nations.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RnestseekR on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Mia - Is what your asking the same question that people ask whe studying the bible. For example, in Revelation when it talks about 144,000 (12 x 12 to the ?2nd/3rd degree) does that mean literally only 144,00 witnesses or does that mean "a lot" or "in relation to the number of Jews in the entire world, not that many". Or when Jesus says, forgive your offender 70 x 7. My friend and I got into that and I always took it to be figuratively in those situations. But when God gave the measurements for the Ark and the Tabernacle, I took those numbers literally. I used the argument that the ark and tabernacle come from historical books, not peotry writing or wisdom writing (as some have broken the different types of literature styles that appear in the bible into such groups). Sometimes, Jesus speaks figuratively. Sometimes literally. So, given that there are different types of writings in the bible and, it seems, different times when Jesus speaks both literally and figuratively, why could it not be that the numbers we are given in dreams could be either?
WHY would he do that? So that we always operate fullly dependent on him! In need of His knowledge, grace and wisdom. So we turn over his thoughts in our mind - chew on them, ASK Him what He means.
I have had numbers be exact in my dreams - like when I was about to be hit by 3 different trucks. That's what He meant - I would nearly be hit by 3 different trucks. Other times, the numbers are figurative.
Sometimes, when I speak to my children, even though they are very young, I speak directly to them. When I say, I need you to get 2 socks, or you can have 3 cookies - that's what I mean. Sometimes, I speak figuratively, especially in regards to time. Sometimes, I think my kiddos will understand that I didn't mean 1 toy, but however many they could hold without dropping them all. But they don't. They literally pick up 1 toy. Other times, they do get it.
Do you think God Fathers us much the same? Somtimes He knows we are not mature enough to understand an exact thing, so He gives us a figurative number so that we concentrate on the concept, not the details. Other times, it's the details that are VERY important. When we know our Father and understand the intonation on His voice SOMETIMES (certainly not always) it can be easier to interpret which He way he means those numbers to be interpreted.
As a parent, I love it when I have my children's attention. I imagine God is pleased when He has my attention and I am chewing over a dream - a number, a symbol, etc. - asking, "Father, what do you want me to know? What do you want me to do?" Sometimes, it isn't about the details, it's about the relationship with Him.

RnestseekR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andrea on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi Mia

I am glad for your statement about not worrying about wrong answers because normally I would not submit my experience with numbers because I have found that it is something that you have to be careful with and not allow it to run rampant with your direction in hearing from the Spirit. There have been times when I have sensed the Spirit was communicating with me in numbers that are connected to people I cover in prayer such as birthdates and home addresses and I will usually see these numbers more than once within a day before I pay attention to it. For example:

I had an aunt who was going thru spiritual warfare without my knowledge and I was driving along the road and a vehicle with her address on the license plate was in front of me. I noticed it was her address which brought her to my mind but I ignored it(its just a license plate number)Later in the day while driving again, I see another license plate with her address on it again and my thought was perhaps she needs prayer and I prayed. Later in the day I give her a call and I discover that she was experiencing some heavy duty situations. This happens very often with various types of things but I wait for the Spirit to show me a second time before I take any action and most of the time I find it is the Holy Spirit communicating.

Sometimes my husband may be trying to contact me by cell phone when I'm driving. If my cell phone is on silent, his birthdate may appear on the clock of my car and almost everytime I look at my cell phone, I will see that he has left me a message to remind me of something before I arrive to my destination.

Hope this helps and if anything else comes to mind, I will forward it.

andrea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluejeankid on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:26 am

Hi everyone. I believe that God uses numbers literally, but sometimes I think God uses numbers to convey a word or thought. I don't know to much about this as it just became a new way of thinking. So I'm searching God more. In the Hebrew language their letters have an number also.Their letters and numbers have meaning. So I thought God being who He is, why not? It just would take more digging on my part. A greater understanding of God on a personal level. Isn't possible that God could give you a dream with a certain number in it and you would know immediatley what God was saying? Maybe it all goes back to having our own personal dream language with God. Letters or numbers is there a differance or is it our understanding of them?

Is that too deep? nerd

bluejeankid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hisbeauty4ashes on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:43 am

Hey if you look up deep in the Dictionary you would see my picture right next to it. LOL laugh

I totally understand what you mean and he so does speak to us according to our own dream language.

You are precious and keep being deep I like it. Hey where are those smiley guys where their eye brows lift up and down? :book:

hisbeauty4ashes

View user profile http://www.hisheartbeat4nations.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bluejeankid on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:39 pm

:thankyou: his beauty4ashes. I'm soooo glad that you understood me. People around me think Im too deep Banned . Thanks for being on the same page and the kind words. :cmere:

bluejeankid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Beauty of Mathematics

Post by Paul RT on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 pm

There is an interesting PowerPoint presentation on the beauty of God's numbers at: http://homepage.ttu.edu.tw/blanca/doc/the-beauty-of-mathematics.pps.

Paul RT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vile on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:39 pm

My rule of thumb; Unless the Lord slaps you in the head with it in a dream or in real life, don't bury yourself looking for numbers.

Though I will say that knowing the symbolism of numbers makes things more appreciative of the Lord's handiwork in writing the Bible. Just don't put a lot of stock in it unless He beans you over the head with the Spiritual Tack Hammer (tm) to look at it.

Vile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top