Interpreting Dreams

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interpreting Dreams

Post by Timothy on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:00 am

Hi All

I have a question that has been in my heart for a long time. I feel that it is the right time to discharge this burden. Biblical characters who interpreted dreams did so without a hint of hesitation in their interpretation. They interpreted dreams as they were enable by the Lord. Joseph always said interpretation came from the Lord who gave the dream. Daniel also did the same thing. However, both of them never hesitated in giving the interpretations.

I have noticed that in the present age there is a lot of hesitation. Vague interpretations are given to dreams. What is the cause of this?We have a lot of anointed brothers and sisters in this forum who I believe are used mightily by God but I sense a hesitation in them to say what God has placed in their hearts.

If I am wrong in my assessment, please help me to understand.

Timothy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Interpreting Dreams

Post by Gissy2 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:01 am

Good observation! I never thought of that, mainly because I am not gifted in interpretating dreams. Now, that I think of it I know an older person, he said he was gifted and if you told him your dream before you finished your sentence, he was telling you what it meant!!! And he was right!!! I guess the decrease in hesitation comes with age???

Gissy2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwhita on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:14 am

Your observation isn't quite true. Daniel took time to pray over Nebacheadnezzer's dream. And you really don't know how long it took or if there was any prayer or meditation involved. Sometimes it looks like they were interpreted right away, and sometimes we don't know. It seems to me that Joseph had many years of expierience with dreams, and so did Daniel. Many of Daniel's encounters with God came after prayer with fasting, and none of them came apart from prayer, because he always prayed. If anything I'd say the hesitation comes from lack of practice and sometimes from inexpierience and a lack of deep prayer. I personally find any interpretation that was too quick suspect.

But anyhow, sometimes you get a flash of inspiration, and sometimes you just get a gentle prompt and follow with questions. (And sometimes you don't get anything.) And I think the Lord wants it that way so people will seek Him more. After all, He could easily just send you printed instructions on plates of gold if He wanted.

jwhita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timothy on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 am

Hi jwhita

Thank you for your insight. Joseph was only 30 years old when he interpreted Pharoah's dream (see Gen 41 v 46). We also know that he was seventeen(17) when he told his brothers of his dreams and they sold him into slavery. So he probably gained his experience over a period of 11 years because after he interpreted the chief baker and the chief cupbearer's dream, the chief cupbearer forgot about him for two years until Pharoah had a dream (Gen 41 v 1).

I fully agree with your views on Daniel. I must add though that he interpreted the king's second dream without hesitation.

Timothy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwhita on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Sometimes it's like that, you just know and there is a quickening that comes with the knowledge. But it's still good to seek the Lord for confirmation, both as an interpreter and a dreamer. Just look at some of the screwy things people throw out there when they talk off the top of their heads! And sometimes, even when you think you are right, you're wrong. And while we're on the subject, it's always better to lead someone to an interpretation than hand them one, unless you know they are just looking for confirmation.

jwhita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gissy2 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:57 am

Jwhita and Timothy I believe both of ya'll are right....you don't want to rush the interpretation but then again you don't want to spent too long on it. I could see how in both cases you can have the wrong interpretation but at the same time I see where it can be right, that's why I do believe in what jwhita said....the interpretation is within the dreamer. Afterall, it's their dream, God spoke to them and the meaning is there, it sometimes takes a bit of guidance. And He prompts our spirit when the true meaning is reveal whether it is a quick revelation or a slow one.

Gissy2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwhita on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 am

Hi Gissy. Also, sometimes the meaning is for later, and it clicks when the time is right. I had a dream where a dark-clad man who I felt I knew from my past was trying to get me to help him arrange a bunch of funerals. He seemed to expect I would help him but it didn't feel right. I also saw a bunch of sweets, like you see at a wedding or birth celebration, but cast out on the sidewalk like trash. It didn't make sense, but a month later a man who used to lead a large ministry I was in, came through town and tried to recruit me for some scheme he wouldn't tell me about on the phone. I remembered the dream and it "clicked". The scheme wasn't of the Lord and the man wasn't right with the Lord at the time. So even if you don't get an interpretation right away, it doesn't mean the dream has no relevence.

jwhita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Amen, jwhita!

I can only speak for myself regarding hesitation...

As I grow in this gifting, I've learned to really try to not add anything to what the Lord has given me - so sometimes my interpretations may be vague because that's what the Lord has given me...but what may seem vague to you and me may actually resonate quite loudly with the dreamer and even what resonates may actually take a while to, so I try to stay within His parameters. Also, I usually try to share a scripture that the Lord has placed on my heart. Usually, the scripture has an obvious connection to the dream but sometimes it doesn't - often in this case, it's a Word for the dreamer. There have been times when the scripture was one that the Lord had placed on the dreamer's heart and my sharing the scripture is confirmation for them that the Lord is speaking to them.

Personally, I would rather err on being vague than being too specific - again, I don't want to add inappropriate things as that would not please God(Jeremiah 14). I've heard stories and personally witnessed people who have received incorrect interpretations and acted on them with bad outcomes. I do not want to pass on something that the Lord didn't give me.

Another reason I sometimes hesitate is because I need to be sure that I've stated what I have to say in a way that it will be received by the dreamer; that what I've stated is received in the spirit with which I've sent it. I've found it may not be necessary to be specific, the dreamer will understand what I'm saying. Also, sometimes if the subject matter is sensitive, I'll send the dreamer my interpretation directly to avoid potentially embarassing them in the forum. I've had situations where the dreamer was feeling suicidal, had had an abortion, was dealing with homosexual struggles, jealousy issues, adultery, etc. but it wasn't obvious in the dream that all could see it. Rather than address it directly, I've intentionally been vague on the boards but follow up with them via a PM with a more specific interpretation.

Thanks for raising this question, it is a good topic! flower

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gissy2 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 pm

jwhita, I agree with you I have had dreams while it just "clicks" sometimes years after I dreamt them. I do believe God has a perfect timing for everything under the sun including dream interpretation, whether it's instant or not. And I do think this is a good topic (like lola said), I do wonder why some dreams are interpretated quickly and others are not but it all boils down to God's timing and His perfect plan.

Gissy2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top