Christian Counselers?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Christian Counselers?

Post by jwhita on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:36 am

Hi all, There is something I've seen many times through the years that disturbs me greatly and i wanted to garner some opinions. A woman I know is going to counselors because of marriage problems. In particular her husband cheated, but it was a long time ago and he repented and changed his ways. Counselors tell her in effect "embrace your pain", it's ok to be angry and demanding. I've seen this approach before, and it doesn't look like forgiveness to me, and more often than not leads to divorce. What I see in scripture is dialogue and forgiveness. What I see in some counseling situations seems to me to be whatever makes the counselee feel better, (if you can call angry "better'); or it looks like taking sides. Any one else see this? Am I completely wrong?

jwhita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Christian Counselers?

Post by Dove-Solutions on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:12 am

I understand what you mean. I also understand the need to acknowledge how you feel but do not agree that one should embrace it. I believe when you forgive it should be forgotten as well. Otherwise to me it leaves a door open for demonic activity. Just my opinion. The Lord said that if we do not forgive than he cannot forgive us.

Love in Jesus,

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwhita on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:23 am

That's what I was thinking too. Not forgiving is like laying out a welcome mat for a spirit of bitterness.

jwhita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:52 am

Are you saying a Christian Counselor said this? If so, we must really be careful that these professionals aren't attaching the title "Christian" to what they do in order to get more clients. If one needs a Christian Counselor, they need to seek for one like they do a church...find out what they believe.

I agree with what has been said. It's not easy to forgive and forget, but if we see that our sins have been forgiven and that the mercy that God has for us, then we should be able to do it. I know it's easier said than done, especially in a marriage situation. My prayers are with them.

Do not fight FOR victory, but fight FROM THE PLACE of victory. Jesus has ALREADY won the battle!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:19 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top