Can you accurately interpret another person's dream without knowing the life of the dreamer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can you accurately interpret another person's dream without knowing the life of the dreamer?

Post by Dream223 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:06 am

I have been in two settigns where I have had help with the interpreting of my dreams and the person helping me interpret the dream asked me questions about my life, something I asked the Lord or something (irl) that is going on in the life of the dreamer and other times what is going on in the life of the dreamer is not asked and a possible interpretation is given.

Dream223

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can you accurately interpret another person's dream without knowing the life of the dreamer?

Post by Dove-Solutions on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 am

I think you can. The interpretation is given by the Holy Spirit. We are but the vessel he uses to administer the interpretation. He knows all things. If we are truly hearing from the Lord for the interpretation then it is he that is doing the work. Hope this helps.

Love in Jesus,

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can you accurately interpret another person's dream without knowing the life of the dreamer?

Post by Dream223 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:13 am

Confirmation. While moping the floors I was thinking about my question and what came to me was to keep in mind that the Holy Spirit reveals all truth. God gave the dream and He holds the interpretation. I appreciate the confirmation and reminder. This understanding takes the frustration of trying to interpretthe dreams myself.

Thank you for what you have shared.

Dream223

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Yes, the full interpretation is always the Lord's. We as dreamers should be seeking the interpretation from the Lord directly even before we share our dreams with others for confirmation. He will be faithful to reveal the full meaning even if it is given part by part (Habakkuk 2:3). I have dreams that are 2-3 yrs old where I just recently understood what was being said and there are other members with dreams even older than that. So I think the key is to seek the Lord at all times, seek confirmation of what you've heard from the Lord from others, and then continue to pray and wait for the rest of the dream to unfold over time. Admittedly, this can be easier said than done....

I'm learning that it's a process that requires patience. Sometimes we'll get a dream whose interpretation is pretty straight forward, other times we'll get a dream that requires more time for the revelation to come and it's best not to hurry the process (over interpret). It's at that time that we can run into the danger of misinterpreting...

As it relates to your original question, I don't believe you need to know a person's background in order to interpret a dream because as you and Connie have stated, when a dream is prophetically interpreted, it is the Holy Spirit working through the individual to provide the interpretation. That's why for me, I indicate in my posts whether my comments are thoughts or an interpretation and ask the dreamer to pray about what I've said regardless. Also, if it's an interpretation, a scripture usually comes to my spirit immediately or as I'm researching through the Bible about the topic or a symbol and I'll share it with the dreamer.

But sometimes it can be helpful to have experienced dreamers share their thoughts. In these instances, they might ask you questions and through that process, you get a revelation from the Lord. I don't see that as inappropriate. Where I get concerned is when someone gives a thought based interpretation and gives it to the dreamer as an interpretation. I also get concerned when individuals who are new to interpreting dreams and/or are not really trained in interpreting dreams (e.g., just finished reading their first book on interpreting dreams... bandaid ) don't state that they're new to interpreting dreams (there should be no shame in doing this). The reason is because there are people who are seeking a Word from the Lord on a situation in their lives and believe that the dream they are sharing may provide some answers. When they receive an interpretation, they are assuming it is from the Lord and may act on what's been said, not knowing that the interpretation is in fact incorrect. They are also assuming that whoever is providing an interpretation is experienced and has a prophetic gifting and that, unfortunately, is not always the case.

Jeremiah 23:9-40 speaks to this issue of false prophets and among the issues is prophesying something that the Lord didn't say. We desire to operate in a way that is pleasing to the Lord which is why we ask that posters clearly indicate whether an interpretation is thought based or a Holy Spirit given interpretation. 1 John 4:1 also tells us to test the spirits because not every spirit is of God. When we're receiving an interpretation, it is important to do this as well....

Ok, I'm stepping down now... soapbox lol! ...hope this helps!

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dream223 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:28 pm

wow...did that help!!! THank you so much. I actually saw what you stated in operation where I had two different interpretations on whether I should leave where I am volunteering or stay. I understand that the Lord is not the author of confusion and decided to continue to pray and trust God to make His will clearer for me so that I make the right decision that He wants me to make.

I am also guilty of looking for someone else to help me with my dreams rather than first taking some time to seek the Lord and trust Him to confirm. I have repented and trust His timing to make His will known about the situation. I will not be anxious, but I will in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let my request be made known unto God and the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall guard my heart and mind through Christ Jesus according to Philippiams 4:6,7.

Dream223

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:03 pm

I have actually done a bible study on this today and this message was so timely! I will post it tonight. it's my belief that if we don't seek the Lord for an interpretation, the dreams meaning can get distorted with our own understanding. I can try to understand parts of my dreams if the Lord desnt reveal the full meaning and sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong. what I say might make sense but it's still not what God was saying. When I have a full interp from the Lord I announce it. but if I'm trying to help someone based on what I've learned from the symbols in my dream, I'm sometimes wrong.. that's why I say, these are just my thoughts. however I believe things on this site are getting a little out of hand when it comes to people giving there 2 cents. people have sent me messages wanting clarification to the meaning of their dreams because so many of the replies are contrary to the others. I'll post that bible study in this section.

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gissy2 on Sat May 29, 2010 7:04 am

This is a good topic. I am new to dream interpretation and when I am on this site I try not to interpret any dreams. I like to watch the interpreter and the dreamer's response because it helps me learn some skills in my own dreams (with the guidance of the Holy Spirit). One thing I had learn is that the interpretation is actually in the dreamer so sometimes I think asking questions helps the dreamer to pull out the interpretation. I think the right answer should click with the dreamer. However, I agree at certain times asking questions could hinder the real interpretation because if you "overthink" and not allow The Spirit to move freely I could see how that could be a problem. I know I have done that with my own dreams, I think and think and don't allow God in. I am so focus on a symbol or trying to figure out an object when I should relax knowing that God holds all the answers. And it's good to have people to help us find it.

Daph did you get a chance to post the bible study?

Gissy2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:47 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top