Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
daphanie02

what are familiar spirits and generational curses?

I have heard of familiar spirits and generational curses beforeand understand them to a degree..but since I've found little to no scripture to support them I've kinda forgotten all about them. however they are mentioned in this forum quite a bit. can anyone tell me what they know and provide scripture for them? I'm especially sceptical about the familiar spirit.. I found generational curses in exodus.
just curious
thanks

Hi daphanie,

Interesting topic..Just passing on what I've found on familiar spirits in the bible I use (amplified)
Leviticus 19:31
Turn not to those [mediums] who have familiar spirits or to wizards; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God.
Leviticus 20:6
The person who turns to those who have familiar spirits and to wizards, [being unfaithful to Israel's Maker Who is her Husband, and thus] playing the harlot after them, I will set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people [that he may not be included in the atonement made for them].
Leviticus 20:27
A man or woman who is a medium and has a familiar spirit or is a wizard shall surely be put to death, be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.
So Saul disguised himself, put on other raiment, and he and two men with him went and came to the woman at night. He said to her, Perceive for me by the familiar spirit and bring up for me the dead person whom I shall name to you.
Isaiah 19:3
And the spirit of the Egyptians within them will become exhausted and emptied out and will fail, and I will destroy their counsel and confound their plans; and they will seek counsel from the idols and the sorcerers, and from those having familiar spirits (the mediums) and the wizards.
Isaiah 65:4
Who sit among the graves [trying to talk with the dead] and lodge among the secret places [or caves where familiar spirits were thought to dwell]; who eat swine's flesh, and the broth of abominable and loathsome things is in their vessels;

On generational curses I don't know much. Have to find out:) I found the following two verses, but in the first verse it says that God will visit these father's iniquities onto the children of those who hate Him, so if people don't hate him, that would mean there wouldn't be a curse whatsoever.. And then the example in Jeremiah pretty much says with His new covenant, something different applies.
Exodus 20:1-5
I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me. You shall not make for yourself a carved image, any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me.

But then on the other side is this verse:
Jeremiah 31:29-32
In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge.
But everyone shall die for his own iniquity [only]; every man who eats sour grapes--his [own] teeth shall be set on edge.
Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
Not according to the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was their Husband, says the Lord.

Mmm..don't know how biblical/unbiblical the concept of generational curses is... Hope someone else has:)
I'm definitely interested now:-)

The concern I have with focusing in on familiar spirits and generational curses is that it puts too much emphasis on the tactics of the enemy. We tend to focus on the influence that the spirits of darkness have MORE than the fact that we are new creatures in Christ.

The scriptures that were listed are definately in the Word of God however, when the Word of God says:

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. (2 Corthians 5:17)

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree” ), (Galatians 3:13)

In my opinion, if we focus MORE on the fact that we are new creations in Christ and the old things that USED to have influence on us are passed away...and if we focus on the fact that CHRIST has redeemed us from the curse of the law...then much of the "influence" that the spirit of darkness continues to have on those in the kingdom of God, won't exist.

As far as the generational curses? I refuse to believe that Christ took on all of the pain and the shame on the cross and I still have to struggle with the curses of generations before me. WE ARE NEW CREATIONS IN CHRIST!!!!! THE CURSE has been settled through the stripes of Jesus Christ.

Okay...this is my two cents. Great discussion though...I just felt the need to say this because I've noticed a lot of talk about spirits and curses here as well and wondered why no one ever talked about who we are and what we have through Christ Jesus.

Daphanie,

I just finished an article on this very subject that I was going to post on Member bible study and Teachings. You can imagine my amazement when I seen your post. Wow!

I think Cholette and Traveller posted, well. As far as G. Curses, In a nut shell, I agree with Cholette. We have been redeemed from the curse of the law. I think that we do need to declare the Word of God over our lives, and focus on the Good news of His Word, and who we are in Him. Not only because we need to hear it, but because the devil is a trespasser, and he operates illegally, and if we do not know where we stand, he will surely take advantage of that and work where he has no right to work.

I think we can get into bondage, if we are constantly probing around trying to figure out some deep seeded reason for this or that, when all we need to do is tell the devil, and generational curses- the buck stops here! I am in covenant! I am a new creature! Christ in me the Hope of Glory. Alcohol will not have this generation. Suicide will not have this generation. Premature death, and addictions, will not have this generation. I will not inherit osteoporosis, or altimeters disease. He sent His WORD, and healed me, and delivered me from destruction!

Why stumble around in the basement rummaging through old suitcases for an answer, when we can stand on the roof top, and proclaim HIs Word over are lives, and to the next generation? It just seems to be a better way. Believe me, I have witnessed the rummaging, no sooner do you get rid of one thing, than your after another. We can sweep the basement clean, addressing these things by name, but if we do not fill it up with the LIGHT of Gods word, (according to scripture) the unclean spirits will come back to the house they came out of with seven more stronger then them.

2 Corinthians 5:16-18 (New King James Version)

Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,

Isaiah 43:18 (New King James Version)
“ Do not remember the former things, Nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness. And rivers in the desert. (He replaces our wilderness and desert with the RIVER!)

Isaiah 65:17 "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind.

"Romans 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

In Chist -dee Newine

Amen, amen, and AMEN!!!!! wow that was powerful! I totally agree with what you said NeWine and Cholette! thank you for the bible scriptures traveler. that helps alot. I do have a problem with Christians giving the devil too much credit... I'm tired of hearing he's powerful and scary and smart and we shouldn't underestimate him. God is sooo much bigger and the only thing that terrifies me is the thought of facing hell and a life without Jesus Christ. He is on my side and NO weapon formed against me shall prosper. thank God I don't have to fight my battles alone! God is good! thanks for the feedback guys, that was good stuff!
love,

I do believe that spirits and all of what you mentioned exists, but what I'm saying is that we are NEW Creatures and we no longer are controlled by them any longer. We have been given the keys to the kingdom and the gates of hell shall NOT prevail against us.

And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:17-19)

The Bibles says that we will NOT prevail against it...the Rock, which is Jesus...the Son of God. When we understand what Jesus' sacrifice has done for us as children of God, all of these demons that we focus so much on CANNOT or WILL NOT stand. The authority that we have been given allows all of heaven to back us up here on earth.

I believe we are tormented by these spirits because due to our lack of knowledge. We believe that these spirits are bigger and stronger than us...and they are not! What we believe is what we accept. The Bible clearly says:

31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (John 8:30-32)

Butterfly,

in that you quoted from my post about rummaging in suitcases in the basement, I suppose you must be including me with the christians that do not believe that we have to deal with generational curses.

I certainly do believe in generational curses, absolutely. Like I stated in the post the enemy is illegal, he is a trespasser. If we let him he will pass through generational lines. He will pass through them even if we are born again, because we have to assert our rights as believers. We must take possession of the promises of God full throttle, as the children of Israel had to take possession of Canaan.

It is the way we deal with the enemy, and generational curses, that i was addressing. I too have been involved in deliverance for many years. I too have seen generational and hereditarial illnesses and sins destroy peoples lives. Many of those things leaving their carnage in the jails, prisons and streets, where I have gone to minister. When you bring a deliverance ministry in those places, their is more manifestation because the devil knows Jesus is coming to cast him out. I have seen the foaming of the mouth, and gargling on the floor ... I have heard the demons scream, I watched a (90lbs) 80 year old woman climb half way up the drapes of her room when we walked into the door. (She called my husbands name with out knowing him, or knowing that we just walked though the entrance of the building.) She encountered deliverance that day though the name of Jesus Christ. We seen her a year later, looking 10 years younger and in her right mind. I have seen the generational curse of suicide, alcoholism, rage and premature death eradicated from my life by breaking generational curses. How? As quoted in my post:

Proclaiming the word of God against them.:Alcohol will not have this generation. Suicide will not have this generation. Premature death, and addictions, will not have this generation. I will not inherit osteoporosis, or altimeters disease. He sent His WORD, and healed me, and delivered me from destruction!

My children are the first of many generations free from alcoholism.

The image of one digging through old suitcases in the basement is a pitiful scene. We are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus, we can deal with these things on the front line in power and grace; fearless resolve. We are not on opposite ends here. I simply want people to know that it doesn't have to be hard. Healing is the children's bread. Jesus said, "take this my body, eat it, as you do remember me". They say we become what we eat. Christ in us the hope of Glory! The living Word. I am a new creature in Christ old things are past away all things become new! So when that liar stands at the door and knocks with all his lies about who we are, we just keep telling him who WE are in CHRIST.

1 Corinthian 10:3-7
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ ...

My reference to rummaging though suitcases in the basement is in regard to people that have taken this generational curse thing out of balance. I spent hours upon hours in counseling sessions with individuals who go on and on about needing to be free from this generational curse, and that generational curse, having all this knowledge about it, but never getting free. They ignored my counsel and continued to dwell on the curses, instead of dwelling on the CROSS of Christ where ordinances written against us were nailed! If only they would stand and point to the Lamb, and say. "Satan, Christ bore my curse".

We have got to get ourselves full of God and his word, this is LIGHT that displaces darkness. Text book knowledge and deep studies are not going to do it. We will overcome them by the blood of the Lamb and by the WORD of our testimony, (profession). I would much rather tell people how to stand in their freedom in Christ, and how by the Sword of the Word you can sever generational bondages, calling them by name, and telling them they cannot have you. Rather then the alternative, which to me has been reduced to nothing more than sessions upon sessions of psychological witch hunts. Inner healing ministry gone viral. Balance is the key here. Word based and Spirit led. Some of you that have been around awhile will know what I am referring to. I've been there, and truly have discovered a better, more hopeful, and liberating way.

-In Christ set free healed and delivered. dee Newine

generational curses are those that are passed on from parent to child such as alcohol addition (children learn by example and the parent is the most effective teacher)...this can include christian families who have allowed certain lifestyles to creep in under the radar...in order for the cycle to be broken one must acknowledge that it is real and happening now...it can only be broken permanently in the name of Jesus...there is no other power strong enough to give someone the strength to reisist the temptations and the trials that will follow...satan does not miss a trick at all....

familiar spirits are demonic spirits who use the memories we carry of someone special to attempt to make contact and get a door open into our lives...the Bible is very clear about spirit contact and discourages it...i believe that this is because there is so much danger for the living to dabble in spirit realm...we do not know what we are contacting or what will show up in our life...i have learned the hard way that there are some really bad things out there just waiting for you to give them an opportunity to have you for lunch...christians are not immune if you deliberately cross the line and dabble in the spirit world, against God's instruction...i have heard many preachers tell people that christians cannot be possessed...that is not true....if you willingly step forward into the spirit world, in spite of God's warning, God is not obligated to protect you...satan knows this and will tell you "surely you will not die Eve".....

randomhit10

Cholette wrote:
The concern I have with focusing in on familiar spirits and generational curses is that it puts too much emphasis on the tactics of the enemy. We tend to focus on the influence that the spirits of darkness have MORE than the fact that we are new creatures in Christ.

The scriptures that were listed are definately in the Word of God however, when the Word of God says:

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. (2 Corthians 5:17)

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree” ), (Galatians 3:13)

In my opinion, if we focus MORE on the fact that we are new creations in Christ and the old things that USED to have influence on us are passed away...and if we focus on the fact that CHRIST has redeemed us from the curse of the law...then much of the "influence" that the spirit of darkness continues to have on those in the kingdom of God, won't exist.

As far as the generational curses? I refuse to believe that Christ took on all of the pain and the shame on the cross and I still have to struggle with the curses of generations before me. WE ARE NEW CREATIONS IN CHRIST!!!!! THE CURSE has been settled through the stripes of Jesus Christ.

Okay...this is my two cents. Great discussion though...I just felt the need to say this because I've noticed a lot of talk about spirits and curses here as well and wondered why no one ever talked about who we are and what we have through Christ Jesus.

PRAISE GOD

NeWine wrote:
Butterfly,

in that you quoted from my post about rummaging in suitcases in the basement, I suppose you must be including me with the christians that do not believe that we have to deal with generational curses.

I certainly do believe in generational curses, absolutely. Like I stated in the post the enemy is illegal, he is a trespasser. If we let him he will pass through generational lines. He will pass through them even if we are born again, because we have to assert our rights as believers. We must take possession of the promises of God full throttle, as the children of Israel had to take possession of Canaan.

It is the way we deal with the enemy, and generational curses, that i was addressing. I too have been involved in deliverance for many years. I too have seen generational and hereditarial illnesses and sins destroy peoples lives. Many of those things leaving their carnage in the jails, prisons and streets, where I have gone to minister. When you bring a deliverance ministry in those places, their is more manifestation because the devil knows Jesus is coming to cast him out. I have seen the foaming of the mouth, and gargling on the floor ... I have heard the demons scream, I watched a (90lbs) 80 year old woman climb half way up the drapes of her room when we walked into the door. (She called my husbands name with out knowing him, or knowing that we just walked though the entrance of the building.) She encountered deliverance that day though the name of Jesus Christ. We seen her a year later, looking 10 years younger and in her right mind. I have seen the generational curse of suicide, alcoholism, rage and premature death eradicated from my life by breaking generational curses. How? As quoted in my post:

Proclaiming the word of God against them.:Alcohol will not have this generation. Suicide will not have this generation. Premature death, and addictions, will not have this generation. I will not inherit osteoporosis, or altimeters disease. He sent His WORD, and healed me, and delivered me from destruction!

My children are the first of many generations free from alcoholism.

The image of one digging through old suitcases in the basement is a pitiful scene. We are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus, we can deal with these things on the front line in power and grace; fearless resolve. We are not on opposite ends here. I simply want people to know that it doesn't have to be hard. Healing is the children's bread. Jesus said, "take this my body, eat it, as you do remember me". They say we become what we eat. Christ in us the hope of Glory! The living Word. I am a new creature in Christ old things are past away all things become new! So when that liar stands at the door and knocks with all his lies about who we are, we just keep telling him who WE are in CHRIST.

1 Corinthian 10:3-7
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ ...

My reference to rummaging though suitcases in the basement is in regard to people that have taken this generational curse thing out of balance. I spent hours upon hours in counseling sessions with individuals who go on and on about needing to be free from this generational curse, and that generational curse, having all this knowledge about it, but never getting free. They ignored my counsel and continued to dwell on the curses, instead of dwelling on the CROSS of Christ where ordinances written against us were nailed! If only they would stand and point to the Lamb, and say. "Satan, Christ bore my curse".

We have got to get ourselves full of God and his word, this is LIGHT that displaces darkness. Text book knowledge and deep studies are not going to do it. We will overcome them by the blood of the Lamb and by the WORD of our testimony, (profession). I would much rather tell people how to stand in their freedom in Christ, and how by the Sword of the Word you can sever generational bondages, calling them by name, and telling them they cannot have you. Rather then the alternative, which to me has been reduced to nothing more than sessions upon sessions of psychological witch hunts. Inner healing ministry gone viral. Balance is the key here. Word based and Spirit led. Some of you that have been around awhile will know what I am referring to. I've been there, and truly have discovered a better, more hopeful, and liberating way.

-In Christ set free healed and delivered. dee Newine

randomhit10 wrote: that "familiar spirits are demonic spirits" and this I agree with completely. You also said something interesting in that you wrote: "I have learned the hard way that there are some really bad things out there just waiting for you to give them an opportunity to have you for lunch...christians are not immune if you deliberately cross the line and dabble in the spirit world, against God's instruction..."

My question is this: Would God ever instruct a Christian (or anyone for that matter) to ever dabble in the spirit world? There's a man who calls himself the paranormal pastor because he hunts for "ghosts" and claims this is his spiritual gift. But would God ever give us a gift to be used in the spiritual realm even if we use it to bring the wayward to God, as this pastor claims he does?

Also, I'm not so sure I agree that a truly born-again, Bible believing Christian who places his faith and trust in Christ alone, can be demon possessed. We can be oppressed by satan but that's something entirely different. Jesus does indeed protect our souls if we are born again from the enemy who seeks to steal and destroy it.

Also, I'm not so sure I agree that a truly born-again, Bible believing Christian who places his faith and trust in Christ alone, can be demon possessed. We can be oppressed by satan but that's something entirely different. Jesus does indeed protect our souls if we are born again from the enemy who seeks to steal and destroy it.

I 150% agree with your statement above. However, I don't think that randomhit10 was referring to the general case; I think she was referring to people who intentionally/willfully cross the line to explore and/or participate in the spiritual world knowing that this is disobedience - e.g., witchcraft, attempting to contact the dead, psychics, etc.

What happens to them?

lola21st wrote:

I 150% agree with your statement above. However, I don't think that randomhit10 was referring to the general case; I think she was referring to people who intentionally/willfully cross the line to explore and/or participate in the spiritual world knowing that this is disobedience - e.g., witchcraft, attempting to contact the dead, psychics, etc.

What happens to them?

Does this mean that "ghost hunting" is prohibited by God? I have asked that question on other websites and never got an answer. I know of some Christians who are part of an investigative team and they say they're not doing anything wrong? Have they crossed the line?

lola21st wrote:

What happens to them?

I can tell you from personal experience that you CAN be a born again Christian and be attacked in your body and mind by demons. I believe that many illnesses are the result of demonic power and I personally have been attacked by spirits while praying for people. Think about it, when we pray for people to be healed, Christian, or no, I've heard many Christians pray and take authority over spirits of sickness and disease, even when praying for Christians. That the person has a spirit of infirmity means a spirit was infecting a Christian.

I'm not saying Christians can be completely controlled/possessed by demons but people certainly do have demonic attacks in their minds and their bodies, even when Spirit filled. Thank the LORD that He left us with the authority to kick those spirits out, but there are still battles with them on the battlefield.

GHOST HUNTING?

I think the question is, is it a sin to go hunting for ghosts? (Which basically are spirits.) My opinion is this; God doesn't want us seeking spirits of dead people in place of him. The issue with contacting the dead in the bible was that people contacted them to get answers from them (supernatural answers) instead of waiting on and/or seeking God.

Is it a good idea to go messing around in the spirit realm when we basically have no idea what we are doing? NO!

My personal opinion is that it might not be a sin to ghost hunt but instead of asking people, who basically are usually only barely hitting the surface of any true knowledge of the spiritual realm, my advice is to ask God for the low down. He is the ONLY One that I would trust to answer that question because I'd be afraid for my safety mucking around in that kind of territory.

Love,
mia

Hi Mia,

Yes, I agree a Christian can be attacked by satan while praying for someone or doing the Lord's work. This is because Christians are a threat. But this isn't the same as being possessed. What happened to you sounds more like oppression. You were being bothered by demons but they did not take over your body and speak through you. Satan possesses those whose souls he seeks to destroy and Scriptures tell us that the soul of the born again believer who trusts in Jesus Christ alone for their eternal salvation can never be snatched from the hand of the Lord. We do have that protection.

I have a friend who would always get inflicted with an illness that would last for months every time she tried to start a prayer group, bible study or any other ministry for the Lord. But she was never demon possessed. When she realized her authority as a born again believer in Jesus Christ, and that Christ defeated satan at Calvary and thus demons have no right to mess in her life, she would use the word of God and rebuke these demons and they did flee.

I'm not saying Christians can be completely controlled/possessed by demons but people certainly do have demonic attacks in their minds and their bodies, even when Spirit filled. Thank the LORD that He left us with the authority to kick those spirits out, but there are still battles with them on the battlefield.

Yep. I agree.

I have experienced what Mia is talking about as well. I truly believe that because God had instructed me and given me the authority to pray against those spirits, I was not “possessed” by them. And that goes back to what Cholette and NeWine were saying. If we don’t have the wisdom, revelation, knowledge and understanding of what these two ladies speak about, we can and will be overtaken. From my experience, I am tried in every area of prayer I pray. For example, God led me to pray against the spirit of adultery…the spirit of adultery tried to attach itself to me by having me lusting after this married man (And I know this is not me. I have NEVER desired, much less made advances towards, a married man – so I’m like, WHAT?! ). The more I prayed against the spirit the more it attacked me. But thanks and glory be to God - I stayed in His face and stood against that spirit. IT DID NOT “possess” me. Attack me? Yes. Possess me? NO! But it could have if I hadn’t stood in the authority that God had given me (and of course walking in what Cholette and NeWine spoke about). Even now, I’m on an assignment against another spirit and I see that spirit trying to operate in my life but the devil is a lie! Oh, I see it, recognize it, and I ain’t having it! Keep it moving devil, cause I ain’t got no room or no vacancy for you! I have the authority to PRAY AGAINST IT and the strength to STAND AGAINST IT. Now play wit it!

Satan tries to possess the souls of the people of God…Christians…Us. He’s out to destroy God’s people! No, Satan can’t just simply snatch us from the hand of the Lord because as long as we’re in His hand, we are protected. But if we decide to get out there on the devils territory, we are a free agent and the devil will have a field day with us. There is no soul like the soul of a child of God. The devil is NOT going to sit back and watch your friend, you, me or anybody else who is walking in the will of God in ministry without doing something to abort/prolong his defeat. He’s going to throw out opposition on every hand. But WE have to know the authority God has given us and work it. But like Mia has stated, we can use the authority to kick them out, but there is still a battlefield full of them waiting to attack AND possess us if we let them.

It IS a sin to go ghost hunting. This is witchcraft, occults, mediums, familiar spirits, wizards, dead people, ghost - and it is in the Word of God that we are not to have anything to do with them. The scriptures given by traveler clearly back this up. It defiles and pollutes the souls of those who seek them. No way can familiar spirits tell you anything about the spiritual realm because they are not operating in the spirit of God. Peddling around in that foolish puts us in the devils territory where anything goes. Ask it of God and WAIT for HIM to answer. Mia hit it right on the head and that’s where the problem lies…
people contacted them to get answers from them (supernatural answers) instead of waiting on and/or seeking God.

I agree with what virtuous wrote. I was very troubled when I stumbled upon a website by a evangelical pastor who delves heavily in the paranormal. When I wrote him an email to express my concerns, he got angry and accusatory. He claims its a spiritual gift and that he has helped many wayward people find God. Yet I see very little, if anything, about Jesus Christ on his site. I asked him what does the light have in common with the darkness (which God's word also asks) and I asked him if he was born again. He refused to answer and that refusal I believe speaks volumes. As born again Christians we absolutely must use discernment, and if we haven't already, then we need to ask God to help us be discerning.

swords99 wrote:
randomhit10 wrote: that "familiar spirits are demonic spirits" and this I agree with completely. You also said something interesting in that you wrote: "I have learned the hard way that there are some really bad things out there just waiting for you to give them an opportunity to have you for lunch...christians are not immune if you deliberately cross the line and dabble in the spirit world, against God's instruction..."

My question is this: Would God ever instruct a Christian (or anyone for that matter) to ever dabble in the spirit world? There's a man who calls himself the paranormal pastor because he hunts for "ghosts" and claims this is his spiritual gift. But would God ever give us a gift to be used in the spiritual realm even if we use it to bring the wayward to God, as this pastor claims he does?

you have raised some very interesting questions....

i have been guilty of this in the past myself so i know where you are coming from with you first question....what i failed to take into consideration was the basic nature of God adn that was that God would never ask or allow any of us to do anythng that goes against this nature....God is sin free and can not allow sin in His presence....God went to great lengths to tell us to avoid any activity that involves contact with the sipirt world outside of Heavenly boundaries....like in the case of adam and eve....God told the to partake of all the blessings that had been created for them but of the tree in the midst of the garden....so there would be no way that God could tell them that it would be ok to take a smalll bite anyway...that would go against what God had been trying to teach them....God would never place us in a state of sin for any reason...i hope i am saying this right and you can understand the meaning of what i am saying....

i am not saying that the pastor does not have a calling from God or that his intentions be pure of heart...i would encourage the pastor to re-examine exactly what God is telling him to do and maybe change the wording of the description of how he tries to convey his calling to others....God may very well use a spiritual gift to reach others but (imo) God would never be a party to breaking His own rules to do so....bring the wayward to Christ is all of our jobs and i hope your pastor is able to bring them in by the hundreds....but i am not sure if you meant that he was ministering to the spirit world also....

and i agree....if you completely and sincerely belong to Jesus then you can not be possessed by satan but you will always be a moving target to attacks....there is nothing satan likes more than tearing down a believer......

randomhit10

Ok as I read this I just want to say this. First off as Christians we are moving targets for attack from the enemy......but having said that I also say this......we can prevent that.....he cant get to us if we are faithful to Christ. Stay in the Word.....Stay in communication with your Heavenly Father. When we become complacesent then we are open to attack. If we are faithful to the Father than he is there as our defense. It does not mean we will never be attacked but it does mean we will be ready to give a counter measure to the enemy and we will be victorious because Christ was victorious. Am I making any sence here.

As for familiar spirits.....yes they are in existance and people use them all the time. Tarot card readers and fortune tellers is like opening a door to the enemy and saying come on in and destroy a part or all of my life. We are literally inviting him in when we do that. That is called a gateway or a door that we leave open. There is so much more on this subject but time will not permit me to give more info. I will be on tonight and give you the scriptures that discuss all of this.

love in Jesus,

Connie

My wife and I are born again Christians. Although we know better, we sometimes watch the TV show "Ghost Hunters". My wife was watching it last night. Shortly after it was over she felt unsettled and a little paranoid. She told me she believed satan was bothering her. I told her not to watch the show and to rebuke the devil with Scripture. About 2 hours later, after I had already gone to bed and she was still up, she heard a man's voice say: "boo boo". Now this is my nickname for her and I call her that a lot. She thought I had called out to her but, I was asleep.

Makes one wonder about the power of the wrong TV shows and how satan will use them. Or was it just a coincidence?

swords99 wrote:
My wife and I are born again Christians. Although we know better, we sometimes watch the TV show "Ghost Hunters". My wife was watching it last night. Shortly after it was over she felt unsettled and a little paranoid. She told me she believed satan was bothering her. I told her not to watch the show and to rebuke the devil with Scripture. About 2 hours later, after I had already gone to bed and she was still up, she heard a man's voice say: "boo boo". Now this is my nickname for her and I call her that a lot. She thought I had called out to her but, I was asleep.

Makes one wonder about the power of the wrong TV shows and how satan will use them. Or was it just a coincidence?

I have experienced the same thing. I TOTALLY believe that watching things that are demonic gives them access to harass.

Dove-Solutions wrote:
Ok as I read this I just want to say this. First off as Christians we are moving targets for attack from the enemy......but having said that I also say this......we can prevent that.....he cant get to us if we are faithful to Christ. Stay in the Word.....Stay in communication with your Heavenly Father. When we become complacesent then we are open to attack. If we are faithful to the Father than he is there as our defense. It does not mean we will never be attacked but it does mean we will be ready to give a counter measure to the enemy and we will be victorious because Christ was victorious. Am I making any sence here.

As for familiar spirits.....yes they are in existance and people use them all the time. Tarot card readers and fortune tellers is like opening a door to the enemy and saying come on in and destroy a part or all of my life. We are literally inviting him in when we do that. That is called a gateway or a door that we leave open. There is so much more on this subject but time will not permit me to give more info. I will be on tonight and give you the scriptures that discuss all of this.

love in Jesus,

Connie

I want to add that even when we are in communication with Him there will be attacks but like Connie said, we will win!

I have been attacked when I could not have been any closer to God. I borrowed a Christian book by Watchman Nee from some person who was supposed to be a Christian and after trying to read it I was SERIOUSLY attacked by some demon in my head. Thankfully, we have authority over them because I went to my pastor had him pray and that was the end of that. BUT I lived such a sanctified life that I was AMAZED that I could be attacked like that, and honestly, I get attacked more when I'm devoted to the kingdom than when I was not.

Watching things on TV is DEFIANTELY an open door. I was watching a comedy movie on Showtime one night. I fell asleep while watching it and I remember feeling something crawling on me and I felt this "yucky" feeling in my spirit man. When I woke up, some scarey movie was on and I jumped up in my bed and grabbed the remote and turned it off. It is real people!! The TV is a door for the enemy.

Mia Sherwood wrote:
lola21st wrote:

What happens to them?

I can tell you from personal experience that you CAN be a born again Christian and be attacked in your body and mind by demons. I believe that many illnesses are the result of demonic power and I personally have been attacked by spirits while praying for people. Think about it, when we pray for people to be healed, Christian, or no, I've heard many Christians pray and take authority over spirits of sickness and disease, even when praying for Christians. That the person has a spirit of infirmity means a spirit was infecting a Christian.

GHOST HUNTING?

I think the question is, is it a sin to go hunting for ghosts? (Which basically are spirits.) My opinion is this; God doesn't want us seeking spirits of dead people in place of him. The issue with contacting the dead in the bible was that people contacted them to get answers from them (supernatural answers) instead of waiting on and/or seeking God.

Is it a good idea to go messing around in the spirit realm when we basically have no idea what we are doing? NO!

My personal opinion is that it might not be a sin to ghost hunt but instead of asking people, who basically are usually only barely hitting the surface of any true knowledge of the spiritual realm, my advice is to ask God for the low down. He is the ONLY One that I would trust to answer that question because I'd be afraid for my safety mucking around in that kind of territory.

Love,
mia

excellent answer....and i agree 100%.....but look at it this way also....why would God tell us not to involve ourselves with the spirit world (paranormal) if we were not in grave danger....maybe would could contact a deceased relative but how do you if they are really who they say they are?...the spirit world is where satan and his demonic forces hide and do their work from....by trying to make contact you open yourself up to what ever is out there....and there are some things out there who want to eat you alive....even watching this on tv can open your mind to attack....satan has had thousands of years to learn his craft and he will not miss a chance to come after you....and what can the dead tell you about your life that you would need to know that God can't tell you?....is your life with Christ worth the risk of losing it?....is your life so boring that you need this activity for excitement?....if it is then you better get ready....you will change your life beyond your wildest dreams, in a very bad way.....spend that time fellowshipping with Jesus or go donate your time to a homeless shelter....you will feel a lot better....

randomhit10

Cholette wrote:
Watching things on TV is DEFIANTELY an open door. I was watching a comedy movie on Showtime one night. I fell asleep while watching it and I remember feeling something crawling on me and I felt this "yucky" feeling in my spirit man. When I woke up, some scarey movie was on and I jumped up in my bed and grabbed the remote and turned it off. It is real people!! The TV is a door for the enemy.

randomhit10 wrote:
Mia Sherwood wrote:
lola21st wrote:

What happens to them?

GHOST HUNTING?

Love,
mia

excellent answer....and i agree 100%.....but look at it this way also....why would God tell us not to involve ourselves with the spirit world (paranormal) if we were not in grave danger....maybe would could contact a deceased relative but how do you if they are really who they say they are?...the spirit world is where satan and his demonic forces hide and do their work from....by trying to make contact you open yourself up to what ever is out there....and there are some things out there who want to eat you alive....even watching this on tv can open your mind to attack....satan has had thousands of years to learn his craft and he will not miss a chance to come after you....and what can the dead tell you about your life that you would need to know that God can't tell you?....is your life with Christ worth the risk of losing it?....is your life so boring that you need this activity for excitement?....if it is then you better get ready....you will change your life beyond your wildest dreams, in a very bad way.....spend that time fellowshipping with Jesus or go donate your time to a homeless shelter....you will feel a lot better....

randomhit10

I 100% agree and want to make very clear for the record that IT IS A SIN to get advice from dead people. I also agree 100% that the law was made because it is like all of God's other laws: It is for our safety and well being. Spirits are not to be played with. Doesn't the bible say that angels know what they are messing with and they don't mess with it lightly.

My comments on ghost hunting were all from the perspective of just witnessing the presence of ghosts. To me, ghost hunting is not interacting with them or doing anything other than they do on t.v. - basically, looking for evidence of the paranormal and NOT having a seance (sp?) with them.

Who, in their right mind, is interested in the dead? I just don't get it. When you are filled with life, you don't want to be around death. I've heard of some Christians who study this type of stuff and it baffles me. There is enough to learn in the light...why go to the dark???

Cholette wrote:
Who, in their right mind, is interested in the dead? I just don't get it. When you are filled with life, you don't want to be around death. I've heard of some Christians who study this type of stuff and it baffles me. There is enough to learn in the light...why go to the dark???

I absolutely stay as far away from it as I can. I don't need to make myself a target for any more issues than necessary. I have enough battles on my plate.

When we become spiritually born again into the family of God, the Holy Spirit gives us spiritual gifts. My gift is one of discernment. It never ceases to amaze me when I read a book or other piece of literature that claims to be christian how I can tell from just a paragraph or a few pages whether its true or not. My spirit will get deeply troubled if the writing is not of God. I am not leaning on my own understanding, but the Holy Spirit reveals these things and we all need to pray for discernment.

One time my wife and I decided to visit a new church that was just around the corner from us. I do not remember the name of it. Everyone appeared very friendly. Then I picked up the Bible that was in the pew and before I even opened it I knew God did not want me joining this church. On the cover of this Bible it said BIBLE. That's all it said and it was a red flag for me. Why? Because it was missing the word: HOLY. My spirit became very troubled and we never went back.

There is so much on this subject. You guys have done an awesome job of explaining it. ya know we don't have all the answers but we do know this....God is the answer. He sent Jesus as the answer. When Jesus was on the cross and the first drop of blood fell the battle was won. We are covered by the blood of the lamb. Stand on that.....Nothing can cross the blood line. Ask Jesus to paint the blood of Jesus over you each day....before you get out of bed and when you lay down to sleep. Plead the blood over your comings and goings, your family, yourself, your finances, your property, your home, your friends, your vehicles and all motes of transportation, your finances, your pets and animals and even your dreams. You know it is so amazing that when you trust him with your whole life that he will be there bringing the calm to to all situations. The thing is it will seem so calm to you that you won't realize how calm you are until after the situation. When the tornado hit out apartment building a few years ago it was as though I were watching it all happen and everything just got done. I knew it was God but it was the most calm I had ever been in my life. Don't forget that we are joint heirs with Jesus so we have what he has. We have his blood in our veins and nothing can cross the blood line of Jesus because he has won the battle. Remember that the attack is only to divert our attention......but if we stand on the victory......the enemy has no power. That why it says in the word that if we stand strong against the enemy he will flee.....because he has not power because he is a big fat looser. Oh here I go rambling again. I am not saying anything different than you guys, just reiterating it I guess.

Love in Jesus,

Connie huggins

Mia Sherwood wrote:
Cholette wrote:

I absolutely stay as far away from it as I can. I don't need to make myself a target for any more issues than necessary. I have enough battles on my plate.

i know exactly what you mean....i can get into enough trouble without looking for
new ways....

randomhit10

Dove-Solutions wrote:
There is so much on this subject. You guys have done an awesome job of explaining it. ya know we don't have all the answers but we do know this....God is the answer. He sent Jesus as the answer. When Jesus was on the cross and the first drop of blood fell the battle was won. We are covered by the blood of the lamb. Stand on that.....Nothing can cross the blood line. Ask Jesus to paint the blood of Jesus over you each day....before you get out of bed and when you lay down to sleep. Plead the blood over your comings and goings, your family, yourself, your finances, your property, your home, your friends, your vehicles and all motes of transportation, your finances, your pets and animals and even your dreams. You know it is so amazing that when you trust him with your whole life that he will be there bringing the calm to to all situations. The thing is it will seem so calm to you that you won't realize how calm you are until after the situation. When the tornado hit out apartment building a few years ago it was as though I were watching it all happen and everything just got done. I knew it was God but it was the most calm I had ever been in my life. Don't forget that we are joint heirs with Jesus so we have what he has. We have his blood in our veins and nothing can cross the blood line of Jesus because he has won the battle. Remember that the attack is only to divert our attention......but if we stand on the victory......the enemy has no power. That why it says in the word that if we stand strong against the enemy he will flee.....because he has not power because he is a big fat looser. Oh here I go rambling again. I am not saying anything different than you guys, just reiterating it I guess.

Love in Jesus,

Connie huggins

lol that's why we love u connie

randomhit10 wrote:
Mia Sherwood wrote:
Cholette wrote:

i know exactly what you mean....i can get into enough trouble without looking for
new ways....

randomhit10

lol!

I have a question here - are familiar spirits the same as seducing spirits?

No.

familiar spirit, Hebrew word: 'owb

A soothsayer who evokes the dead by the power of incantations and magical songs, in order to give answers to the future or doubtful things; Specially, it denotes a python or a soothsaying demon of which these men were believed to be possessed. OLev. 20:27 A MAN OR WOMAN WHEN A PYTHON IS IN THEM. 1 SAM 28:8 divine to me by the familiar spirit whence such a sorceress is called "a woman in whom is a so0thsaying demon". Gesenius's Lexicon

seducing spirit, Greek word: plä'-nos

1) wandering, roving

2) misleading, leading into error

a) a vagabond, "tramp", imposter

b) corrupter, deceiver

Oh thanks Mia, this is a wonderful explanation, I just thought I have read somewhere that they were the same but now I see that they are not.

flower thumbs

Thank you all for posting more on this, esp. the parts about tv!!
I've been wondering for a while if tv is as real as real life when it comes to the demonic, even if they are just acting or doing real stuff...

My son and I watched a movie tonight that I felt that we shouldn't be watching... I feel that God has been putting tv on my heart lately, the stuff I like watching... I had questions on my heart and He answered them through ya'll.

Thank you friends!!! Thank you Father!!!

Oh, by the way, if anyone has a problem with their unsaved spouse renting horror movies, like I do... I discovered that God is faithful in answering your prayer when you pray that they don't rent an evil movie, when you know they are going out to rent a movie... When I haven't prayed, he always came home with some kind of evil movie, never failed.

I haven't read every comment here, but wasn't the spirit Paul rebuked in the woman who was complimenting Him a familiar spirit? I have heard it was a divination spirit but thing is it was claiming to have discernment that Paul was a man of power....and yet He rebuked her for her nice words? I have always found that once set free of a demonic spirit that I can see the familiar spirit in someone - the spirit is familiar to me in that I have once had it. But more than this I think it is referring to how satan is a counterfieter and replicates every spirit of God with His own.

Sorry I have no scriptures here, just wanted to share here.

I know this was posted years ago but I really had to apply to this. Please note this revelation is no in any way intended for us to live in fear because Christ lives in us and we have the 'mind of Christ' :) 1 Corinthians 2:16. And another note before I go into explanation this is in no way to make anyone PARANOID about this discussion, God is everything and He is ALL in ALL!! We are victorious because of HIM. Thank you Jesus

Okay so reading over the past post this is my response and I wish I had responded two years ago but I only joined the forum last year

I believe in generational cruses. Even though the bible does not say generational cruses specifically it does talk about them. I ask ed the Holy Spirit to give me revelation in the scriptures and this is whose name popped up , King Solomon. I am sure there is more.

When he was King reigining after his father's death-King David a Man after God's owns HEART, he gave Solomon specific instructions for him to be successful: All scriptures from AMP bible

1 Kings 2:3 Keep the charge of the Lord your God, walk in His ways, keep HIs statues, His commandments, His precepts and His testimonies as it is written in the Law of Moses, that you may do wisely and prosper in all that you do and wherever you turn.

So Solomon did until he married many foreign women which was a no, no to God because of the women's background. This is a long one

1 King 11 vs a 1-11

But King Solomon loved many foreign women-the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammorrites, Edomites, Sidonians, and Hittites.

( remember these ites whom the children of Israel fought to get to the promise land Canaan)

vs 2 They were of the very nations of whom the Lord said to the Israelites, YOu shall not mingle with, neither shall they mingle with you, for surely they will turn away your HEARTS after their gods. Yet Solomon clung to these in love
vs 3 He had 700 wives, princesses, and 300 concubines, and his wives turned away his heart from God.
Vs 4. For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods, and his heart after other gods, and his heart was not perfect with the Lord his God as was the heart of David his father.
Vs 5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and after Milcom the abominable idol of the Ammonites .
Vs 6 Solomon, did evil in the sight of the Lord, and went not fully after the Lord as David his father did.
Vs 7 Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the abominable idol of Moab, on the hill opposite Jerusalem and for Molech the abominable idol of the Ammonites.
Vs 8 And h did so for all of his foreign wives, who burned incense and sacrificed to their gods
Vs 9 And the Lord was angry with Solomon because his heart heart was turned from the Lord, the God of Israel, Who had appeared to him twice,
Vs 10 And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods, but he did not do what the Lord commanded.
Vs 11 Therefore the Lord said to Solomon, Because you are doing this and have not kept My covenant and My statues, which I have commanded you, I will surely rend the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant!
This is where the generational curses came in vs 12 However, in your days I will not do it for David your father’s sake. But I will rend it out of the hand of your son!

1) Because all power and might is in God’s right hand (Psalms 89:13 and more scriptures referring to Power and might in His right hand) He is the One who can either allow the enemy to stir up trouble with us, but this is some of the time not ALL of the time, remember Job- whether we know what our ancestors did anything or not.And people who have cast out spirits the enemy flees at the Name of Jesus during deliverance sessions.

However, because God Is a loving God and Loves us oh so ever much, he will lead us and guide us to the TRUTH and it is up to us to change, confession etc for generational curses etc even the ones we didn’t commit and Jesus is the Healer and Deliver the Name above All names who will make us WHOLE!!!! PRAISE the LORD!!!!
That’s why in school I remember we would have a family tree, dating back who are grandfather, grandmother mother etc is, even though we don’t know all that happened in the past etc.

Now I am not saying go back to all your family members ask them what they did etc, some of them may have passed away, but do ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you anything that is in your life that is preventing you from entering into God’s Perfect Will for your Life, and that starts by having a personal relationship with Him worshipping Him staying in His Word , His Truth, and in Prayer.

2) How do the gods that Solomon was worshipping refer to us today?? Is there anything in our life, my life included, that I put first before god, tv, celebrities etc.

Please note this is my personal revelation and is no way to offend or hurt others. God is ALL in ALL a God of balance. I am learning to love and worship Christ more and more!!!

God bless you with love

Aemilk