what are familiar spirits and generational curses?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

what are familiar spirits and generational curses?

Post by daphanie02 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:41 am

I have heard of familiar spirits and generational curses beforeand understand them to a degree..but since I've found little to no scripture to support them I've kinda forgotten all about them. however they are mentioned in this forum quite a bit. can anyone tell me what they know and provide scripture for them? I'm especially sceptical about the familiar spirit.. I found generational curses in exodus.
just curious
thanks

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: what are familiar spirits and generational curses?

Post by traveller on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:35 am

Hi daphanie,

Interesting topic..Just passing on what I've found on familiar spirits in the bible I use (amplified)
Leviticus 19:31
Turn not to those [mediums] who have familiar spirits or to wizards; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God.
Leviticus 20:6
The person who turns to those who have familiar spirits and to wizards, [being unfaithful to Israel's Maker Who is her Husband, and thus] playing the harlot after them, I will set My face against that person and will cut him off from among his people [that he may not be included in the atonement made for them].
Leviticus 20:27
A man or woman who is a medium and has a familiar spirit or is a wizard shall surely be put to death, be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.
So Saul disguised himself, put on other raiment, and he and two men with him went and came to the woman at night. He said to her, Perceive for me by the familiar spirit and bring up for me the dead person whom I shall name to you.
Isaiah 19:3
And the spirit of the Egyptians within them will become exhausted and emptied out and will fail, and I will destroy their counsel and confound their plans; and they will seek counsel from the idols and the sorcerers, and from those having familiar spirits (the mediums) and the wizards.
Isaiah 65:4
Who sit among the graves [trying to talk with the dead] and lodge among the secret places [or caves where familiar spirits were thought to dwell]; who eat swine's flesh, and the broth of abominable and loathsome things is in their vessels;

On generational curses I don't know much. Have to find out:) I found the following two verses, but in the first verse it says that God will visit these father's iniquities onto the children of those who hate Him, so if people don't hate him, that would mean there wouldn't be a curse whatsoever.. And then the example in Jeremiah pretty much says with His new covenant, something different applies.
Exodus 20:1-5
I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me. You shall not make for yourself a carved image, any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me.

But then on the other side is this verse:
Jeremiah 31:29-32
In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge.
But everyone shall die for his own iniquity [only]; every man who eats sour grapes--his [own] teeth shall be set on edge.
Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
Not according to the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was their Husband, says the Lord.

Mmm..don't know how biblical/unbiblical the concept of generational curses is... Hope someone else has:)
I'm definitely interested now:-)

Last edited by traveller on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:18 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add lines)

traveller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:47 pm

The concern I have with focusing in on familiar spirits and generational curses is that it puts too much emphasis on the tactics of the enemy. We tend to focus on the influence that the spirits of darkness have MORE than the fact that we are new creatures in Christ.

The scriptures that were listed are definately in the Word of God however, when the Word of God says:

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. (2 Corthians 5:17)

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree” ), (Galatians 3:13)

In my opinion, if we focus MORE on the fact that we are new creations in Christ and the old things that USED to have influence on us are passed away...and if we focus on the fact that CHRIST has redeemed us from the curse of the law...then much of the "influence" that the spirit of darkness continues to have on those in the kingdom of God, won't exist.

As far as the generational curses? I refuse to believe that Christ took on all of the pain and the shame on the cross and I still have to struggle with the curses of generations before me. WE ARE NEW CREATIONS IN CHRIST!!!!! THE CURSE has been settled through the stripes of Jesus Christ.

Okay...this is my two cents. Great discussion though...I just felt the need to say this because I've noticed a lot of talk about spirits and curses here as well and wondered why no one ever talked about who we are and what we have through Christ Jesus.

Do not fight FOR victory, but fight FROM THE PLACE of victory. Jesus has ALREADY won the battle!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NeWine on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Daphanie,

I just finished an article on this very subject that I was going to post on Member bible study and Teachings. You can imagine my amazement when I seen your post. Wow!

I think Cholette and Traveller posted, well. As far as G. Curses, In a nut shell, I agree with Cholette. We have been redeemed from the curse of the law. I think that we do need to declare the Word of God over our lives, and focus on the Good news of His Word, and who we are in Him. Not only because we need to hear it, but because the devil is a trespasser, and he operates illegally, and if we do not know where we stand, he will surely take advantage of that and work where he has no right to work.

I think we can get into bondage, if we are constantly probing around trying to figure out some deep seeded reason for this or that, when all we need to do is tell the devil, and generational curses- the buck stops here! I am in covenant! I am a new creature! Christ in me the Hope of Glory. Alcohol will not have this generation. Suicide will not have this generation. Premature death, and addictions, will not have this generation. I will not inherit osteoporosis, or altimeters disease. He sent His WORD, and healed me, and delivered me from destruction!

Why stumble around in the basement rummaging through old suitcases for an answer, when we can stand on the roof top, and proclaim HIs Word over are lives, and to the next generation? It just seems to be a better way. Believe me, I have witnessed the rummaging, no sooner do you get rid of one thing, than your after another. We can sweep the basement clean, addressing these things by name, but if we do not fill it up with the LIGHT of Gods word, (according to scripture) the unclean spirits will come back to the house they came out of with seven more stronger then them.

2 Corinthians 5:16-18 (New King James Version)

Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,

Isaiah 43:18 (New King James Version)
“ Do not remember the former things, Nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness. And rivers in the desert. (He replaces our wilderness and desert with the RIVER!)

Isaiah 65:17 "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind.

"Romans 6:4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

In Chist -dee Newine

NeWine

View user profile http://newinepouring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about...

Do not fight FOR victory, but fight FROM THE PLACE of victory. Jesus has ALREADY won the battle!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:22 am

Amen, amen, and AMEN!!!!! wow that was powerful! I totally agree with what you said NeWine and Cholette! thank you for the bible scriptures traveler. that helps alot. I do have a problem with Christians giving the devil too much credit... I'm tired of hearing he's powerful and scary and smart and we shouldn't underestimate him. God is sooo much bigger and the only thing that terrifies me is the thought of facing hell and a life without Jesus Christ. He is on my side and NO weapon formed against me shall prosper. thank God I don't have to fight my battles alone! God is good! thanks for the feedback guys, that was good stuff!
love,

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:21 pm

-----

Last edited by butterfly on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

butterfly
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:49 pm

I do believe that spirits and all of what you mentioned exists, but what I'm saying is that we are NEW Creatures and we no longer are controlled by them any longer. We have been given the keys to the kingdom and the gates of hell shall NOT prevail against us.

And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:17-19)

The Bibles says that we will NOT prevail against it...the Rock, which is Jesus...the Son of God. When we understand what Jesus' sacrifice has done for us as children of God, all of these demons that we focus so much on CANNOT or WILL NOT stand. The authority that we have been given allows all of heaven to back us up here on earth.

I believe we are tormented by these spirits because due to our lack of knowledge. We believe that these spirits are bigger and stronger than us...and they are not! What we believe is what we accept. The Bible clearly says:

31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (John 8:30-32)

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NeWine on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Butterfly,

in that you quoted from my post about rummaging in suitcases in the basement, I suppose you must be including me with the christians that do not believe that we have to deal with generational curses.

I certainly do believe in generational curses, absolutely. Like I stated in the post the enemy is illegal, he is a trespasser. If we let him he will pass through generational lines. He will pass through them even if we are born again, because we have to assert our rights as believers. We must take possession of the promises of God full throttle, as the children of Israel had to take possession of Canaan.

It is the way we deal with the enemy, and generational curses, that i was addressing. I too have been involved in deliverance for many years. I too have seen generational and hereditarial illnesses and sins destroy peoples lives. Many of those things leaving their carnage in the jails, prisons and streets, where I have gone to minister. When you bring a deliverance ministry in those places, their is more manifestation because the devil knows Jesus is coming to cast him out. I have seen the foaming of the mouth, and gargling on the floor ... I have heard the demons scream, I watched a (90lbs) 80 year old woman climb half way up the drapes of her room when we walked into the door. (She called my husbands name with out knowing him, or knowing that we just walked though the entrance of the building.) She encountered deliverance that day though the name of Jesus Christ. We seen her a year later, looking 10 years younger and in her right mind. I have seen the generational curse of suicide, alcoholism, rage and premature death eradicated from my life by breaking generational curses. How? As quoted in my post:

Proclaiming the word of God against them.:Alcohol will not have this generation. Suicide will not have this generation. Premature death, and addictions, will not have this generation. I will not inherit osteoporosis, or altimeters disease. He sent His WORD, and healed me, and delivered me from destruction!

My children are the first of many generations free from alcoholism.

The image of one digging through old suitcases in the basement is a pitiful scene. We are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus, we can deal with these things on the front line in power and grace; fearless resolve. We are not on opposite ends here. I simply want people to know that it doesn't have to be hard. Healing is the children's bread. Jesus said, "take this my body, eat it, as you do remember me". They say we become what we eat. Christ in us the hope of Glory! The living Word. I am a new creature in Christ old things are past away all things become new! So when that liar stands at the door and knocks with all his lies about who we are, we just keep telling him who WE are in CHRIST.

1 Corinthian 10:3-7
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ ...

My reference to rummaging though suitcases in the basement is in regard to people that have taken this generational curse thing out of balance. I spent hours upon hours in counseling sessions with individuals who go on and on about needing to be free from this generational curse, and that generational curse, having all this knowledge about it, but never getting free. They ignored my counsel and continued to dwell on the curses, instead of dwelling on the CROSS of Christ where ordinances written against us were nailed! If only they would stand and point to the Lamb, and say. "Satan, Christ bore my curse".

We have got to get ourselves full of God and his word, this is LIGHT that displaces darkness. Text book knowledge and deep studies are not going to do it. We will overcome them by the blood of the Lamb and by the WORD of our testimony, (profession). I would much rather tell people how to stand in their freedom in Christ, and how by the Sword of the Word you can sever generational bondages, calling them by name, and telling them they cannot have you. Rather then the alternative, which to me has been reduced to nothing more than sessions upon sessions of psychological witch hunts. Inner healing ministry gone viral. Balance is the key here. Word based and Spirit led. Some of you that have been around awhile will know what I am referring to. I've been there, and truly have discovered a better, more hopeful, and liberating way.

-In Christ set free healed and delivered. dee Newine

Last edited by NeWine on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

NeWine

View user profile http://newinepouring.com

Back to top Go down

Post by randomhit10 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 pm

generational curses are those that are passed on from parent to child such as alcohol addition (children learn by example and the parent is the most effective teacher)...this can include christian families who have allowed certain lifestyles to creep in under the radar...in order for the cycle to be broken one must acknowledge that it is real and happening now...it can only be broken permanently in the name of Jesus...there is no other power strong enough to give someone the strength to reisist the temptations and the trials that will follow...satan does not miss a trick at all....

familiar spirits are demonic spirits who use the memories we carry of someone special to attempt to make contact and get a door open into our lives...the Bible is very clear about spirit contact and discourages it...i believe that this is because there is so much danger for the living to dabble in spirit realm...we do not know what we are contacting or what will show up in our life...i have learned the hard way that there are some really bad things out there just waiting for you to give them an opportunity to have you for lunch...christians are not immune if you deliberately cross the line and dabble in the spirit world, against God's instruction...i have heard many preachers tell people that christians cannot be possessed...that is not true....if you willingly step forward into the spirit world, in spite of God's warning, God is not obligated to protect you...satan knows this and will tell you "surely you will not die Eve".....

randomhit10

randomhit10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:16 pm

Cholette wrote:The concern I have with focusing in on familiar spirits and generational curses is that it puts too much emphasis on the tactics of the enemy. We tend to focus on the influence that the spirits of darkness have MORE than the fact that we are new creatures in Christ.

The scriptures that were listed are definately in the Word of God however, when the Word of God says:

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. (2 Corthians 5:17)

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree” ), (Galatians 3:13)

In my opinion, if we focus MORE on the fact that we are new creations in Christ and the old things that USED to have influence on us are passed away...and if we focus on the fact that CHRIST has redeemed us from the curse of the law...then much of the "influence" that the spirit of darkness continues to have on those in the kingdom of God, won't exist.

As far as the generational curses? I refuse to believe that Christ took on all of the pain and the shame on the cross and I still have to struggle with the curses of generations before me. WE ARE NEW CREATIONS IN CHRIST!!!!! THE CURSE has been settled through the stripes of Jesus Christ.

Okay...this is my two cents. Great discussion though...I just felt the need to say this because I've noticed a lot of talk about spirits and curses here as well and wondered why no one ever talked about who we are and what we have through Christ Jesus.

PRAISE GOD

Mia

I'm a lousy example of a Christian but a PERFECT example of God's Grace.

http://www.heartsongministry.com

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

View user profile http://www.miasherwood.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:23 pm

NeWine wrote:Butterfly,

in that you quoted from my post about rummaging in suitcases in the basement, I suppose you must be including me with the christians that do not believe that we have to deal with generational curses.

I certainly do believe in generational curses, absolutely. Like I stated in the post the enemy is illegal, he is a trespasser. If we let him he will pass through generational lines. He will pass through them even if we are born again, because we have to assert our rights as believers. We must take possession of the promises of God full throttle, as the children of Israel had to take possession of Canaan.

It is the way we deal with the enemy, and generational curses, that i was addressing. I too have been involved in deliverance for many years. I too have seen generational and hereditarial illnesses and sins destroy peoples lives. Many of those things leaving their carnage in the jails, prisons and streets, where I have gone to minister. When you bring a deliverance ministry in those places, their is more manifestation because the devil knows Jesus is coming to cast him out. I have seen the foaming of the mouth, and gargling on the floor ... I have heard the demons scream, I watched a (90lbs) 80 year old woman climb half way up the drapes of her room when we walked into the door. (She called my husbands name with out knowing him, or knowing that we just walked though the entrance of the building.) She encountered deliverance that day though the name of Jesus Christ. We seen her a year later, looking 10 years younger and in her right mind. I have seen the generational curse of suicide, alcoholism, rage and premature death eradicated from my life by breaking generational curses. How? As quoted in my post:

Proclaiming the word of God against them.:Alcohol will not have this generation. Suicide will not have this generation. Premature death, and addictions, will not have this generation. I will not inherit osteoporosis, or altimeters disease. He sent His WORD, and healed me, and delivered me from destruction!

My children are the first of many generations free from alcoholism.

The image of one digging through old suitcases in the basement is a pitiful scene. We are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus, we can deal with these things on the front line in power and grace; fearless resolve. We are not on opposite ends here. I simply want people to know that it doesn't have to be hard. Healing is the children's bread. Jesus said, "take this my body, eat it, as you do remember me". They say we become what we eat. Christ in us the hope of Glory! The living Word. I am a new creature in Christ old things are past away all things become new! So when that liar stands at the door and knocks with all his lies about who we are, we just keep telling him who WE are in CHRIST.

1 Corinthian 10:3-7
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ ...

My reference to rummaging though suitcases in the basement is in regard to people that have taken this generational curse thing out of balance. I spent hours upon hours in counseling sessions with individuals who go on and on about needing to be free from this generational curse, and that generational curse, having all this knowledge about it, but never getting free. They ignored my counsel and continued to dwell on the curses, instead of dwelling on the CROSS of Christ where ordinances written against us were nailed! If only they would stand and point to the Lamb, and say. "Satan, Christ bore my curse".

We have got to get ourselves full of God and his word, this is LIGHT that displaces darkness. Text book knowledge and deep studies are not going to do it. We will overcome them by the blood of the Lamb and by the WORD of our testimony, (profession). I would much rather tell people how to stand in their freedom in Christ, and how by the Sword of the Word you can sever generational bondages, calling them by name, and telling them they cannot have you. Rather then the alternative, which to me has been reduced to nothing more than sessions upon sessions of psychological witch hunts. Inner healing ministry gone viral. Balance is the key here. Word based and Spirit led. Some of you that have been around awhile will know what I am referring to. I've been there, and truly have discovered a better, more hopeful, and liberating way.

-In Christ set free healed and delivered. dee Newine

Mia

I'm a lousy example of a Christian but a PERFECT example of God's Grace.

http://www.heartsongministry.com

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

View user profile http://www.miasherwood.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Preach, my sisters! Amen and Amen! flower Amen

For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. ~~~ Habukkuk 2:3

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by swords99 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:27 pm

randomhit10 wrote: that "familiar spirits are demonic spirits" and this I agree with completely. You also said something interesting in that you wrote: "I have learned the hard way that there are some really bad things out there just waiting for you to give them an opportunity to have you for lunch...christians are not immune if you deliberately cross the line and dabble in the spirit world, against God's instruction..."

My question is this: Would God ever instruct a Christian (or anyone for that matter) to ever dabble in the spirit world? There's a man who calls himself the paranormal pastor because he hunts for "ghosts" and claims this is his spiritual gift. But would God ever give us a gift to be used in the spiritual realm even if we use it to bring the wayward to God, as this pastor claims he does?

Also, I'm not so sure I agree that a truly born-again, Bible believing Christian who places his faith and trust in Christ alone, can be demon possessed. We can be oppressed by satan but that's something entirely different. Jesus does indeed protect our souls if we are born again from the enemy who seeks to steal and destroy it.

swords99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Also, I'm not so sure I agree that a truly born-again, Bible believing Christian who places his faith and trust in Christ alone, can be demon possessed. We can be oppressed by satan but that's something entirely different. Jesus does indeed protect our souls if we are born again from the enemy who seeks to steal and destroy it.

I 150% agree with your statement above. However, I don't think that randomhit10 was referring to the general case; I think she was referring to people who intentionally/willfully cross the line to explore and/or participate in the spiritual world knowing that this is disobedience - e.g., witchcraft, attempting to contact the dead, psychics, etc.

What happens to them?

For the vision is yet for an appointed time; But at the end it will speak, and it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it; Because it will surely come, It will not tarry. ~~~ Habukkuk 2:3

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top