Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newleaf

Les Garrett-Which Bible? Teaching

I dont know if you have ever heard of this man I think he is British? idk he teaches the NIV is "demonically inspired" and the people who put it together were involved in occult and the only true version is the KJV . Is there anything to refute this theory? My church uses the NIV and it has been a stumbling block for my husband. thanks !

Justblueskies,

I would ask the Holy Spirit to direct you on what Bible he wants you to read. I personally read the KJV but that is my preference.

Love in Jesus,

Connie

justblueskies -

I searched and didn't see any direct items refuting his teachings so you'll probably have to do some research regarding the validity of the different translations so see if you come across evidence that would refute his teachings. Be careful about the source that you use to ensure that the author is credible and recognized as such. The last thing you want is to rely on information that is created by someone considered on the "fringe" or extreme side of Christianity....try googling 'bible translation accuracy' (or something similar) and check the results...

I support your efforts in this as the NKJV is my personal preference and my church also uses the NIV....I get concerned when others refuse to use anything but the KJV for reasons beyond that of personal preference...granted there are some translations that are indeed questionable, but I wouldn't consider the NIV to be one of them....

Good luck and let us know what you find!

I agree with what has been said so far. I'm just tired of people saying this and that about whatever people are reading and find themselves comfortable in reading. We can't forget that the Holy Spirit is the TEACHER and is the ONLY one that can lead us into all truth.

I read whatever translation that drives the point home in my heart. The Holy Spirit leads and guides and teaches me where I am, through whatever translation I read. People have to be careful in saying which translation is better than the rest because if you have a babe in Christ that is learning from the NIV and they hear a person say what this man has said, that can cause someone to put the Bible down forever becaue they feel they can't receive from the KJV. I personally don't like the KJV and it's not the first translation I pick up because I don't talk with the "thee's" and the "thou's". It's not saying that I don't refer to it from time to time, but it's not my first choice. The Bible I carry with me to church is NKJV because the church I attend reads out of the KJV and it's easier to follow along.

Like Connie said, the Holy Spirit needs to direct you and we can't let man's opinion control us or make decisions for us.

I "third" what Cholette says!

I'm already not a big reader and the KJV used to make me not want to read all the more because for the life of me I just could not understand it. I even told God I didn't understand it. Actually, I wrote a poem about because my heart was longing to read. I read a NLT and I was like WOW! I bought one and that's how I started off. I read from the NLT, the Amplified, The Message, and the KJV...all because like Cholette said...whichever one drives it home for me.
We can't forget that the Holy Spirit is the TEACHER and is the ONLY one that can lead us into all truth.

Trust in the Holy Spirit in whichever version you choose because "the letter killeth, but the spirit brings life"

the problems i have heard about which version is th ebest stems from the NIV authors have taken some liberties with the translation of some passages even to the point of leaving out some passages completely....does it really hurt anything?....only if you feel it does....your relationship with God and Jesus is the most important thing...if your Bible is a stumbling block then get one that isn't...Paul warned the believers not to be so legalistic as to be a stumbling block to others who are following Jesus, in earnest...

i have used the NIV in the beginning and it helped lay the foundation for using the KJV later...i now use the KJV solely and i am able to get a good understanding from it now, along with a prayer for wisdom each time...there are so many resources available to us now that if you want to you can even go to the original translations to help you better understand what the Bible is teaching....

randomhit10

Ya know,

I made a previous comment but wanted to say this as well. I so agree with all the other comments. I hate reading like V but I just picked up the word and said "Lord please show me in here the truth about who you are. Show me those things you want me to see and help me to understand them so I can tell others about you'. It is that simple. He gets it and he will translate it for you. If he can part the red sea.....then certainly even if I am reading the bible in Korean and do not understand one word, then surely he can help me to understand it by translating it for me. It is like Cholette said. The Holy Spirit is our guide as we read the Word. Let him guide you into all truth (the Word) and you will be set free. For where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom!

Love in Jesus,

Connie

PRAYER FOR UNDERSTANDING

Oh, God, teach me to find understanding in reading your word,
For it is written in a language, I have never heard.

I try studying the Bible to learn about you and what you ask of me,
But I can’t make sense of it, to be who you want me to be.

I’m hungry for your word, and I desire to be fed,
The devil is attacking me; starting in my head.

I need to speak the Word of God and rebuke him in the name of Jesus,
So he will know that the solid foundation I stand; is only for the righteous.

Meditating on your word is hard when I don’t understand,
What to apply to my life to live eternally in the Promise Land.

Father, God, I pray, that you open my eyes so that I can see your greatness,
Touch my mind so that I can live in your likeness.

Thank you, God, I now have Wisdom, Knowledge, and Understanding to seek your face,
For Power, Love, Salvation, Peace, Faith, Meekness, Gentleness, Longsuffering, Goodness, Temperance, and Grace.
I wrote this poem in January of 2004. A few months later, I was introduced to the NLV because I COULD NOT understand what was being said in KJV. I just couldn't. I bought the NLV, which I still have. At first I didn't even read it because like I said, I don't like to read. One day God spoke to me and said, "What's your excuse now?" I picked that bible up and began to read and I've been reading ever since. I don't read like I should all of the time, but the more I read, the more God opens up His word to me. Not just in the NLV but the KJV as well.

I'd rather read the KJV and allow the Holy Spirit to bring revelation, knowledge and understanding but I don't always get it. So I use my NLV as a reference tool.

I just read a quote by Smith Wigglesworth and I thought about this post. He said..."Some people read their Bible in Hebrew, some in Greek. I like to read mine in the Holy Ghost".

We can't forget that it's the Holy Spirit who is the GREAT Teacher no matter what translation we read!!!!

wink

Amen!

I was going to add that justblueskies may want to consider purchasing a Parallel Bible. It's layout is such that the same scriptures appear side by side on the same page - one side in NIV, the other side in KJV. There are other combinations but this one is very common. You can find it in a Christian bookstore or online at one of the Christian book websites or even amazon.com...

going to email the pastor and see what he knows about this topic will let you know what he says!

I had to put this off due to college being very time consuming! And I got a job PTL -it starts next week! 20.00 an hour thank God!