The Old Man And The Hoe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Old Man And The Hoe

Post by Whitestone on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:33 pm

In my dream, I saw myself walking down a paved road out in the countryside. After walking for a good while, I looked over to my left and saw a great field. There was a fence around the field and just beyond the fence I could see an old man working the ground with his hoe.

He never turned to look at me as I stood watching him; He just kept right on breaking up the fallow ground with his hoe. I had the sense that nothing was going to cause him to stop his work. He seemed so determined to work the field. For him to work this field to harvest surely would take a long time.

As I stood there watching the old man, with all my being I knew I had to help him. I walked over to the fence separating the old man's field from the paved highway and I climbed over and walked towards him.

When I arrived at where the old man stood I reached out for the hoe, and to my surprise the old man thrust it into my hand. I never said anything to the old man. Helping him just seemed like the right thing to do so I began to imitate the way He worked.

As I began to hoe the ground, from time to time I would look up to see others walking down the same road I had been on. I could see that most of these people were in a big hurry and they never even noticed me or the old man. They seemed to be preoccupied and determined to reach their destination. Obviously other things seemed more important to them.

Every once in a while someone would slow down to take a look, but then continue on with out saying a word or offering to help the old man.

After a while, I began to wonder...."Why is it that no one will join us in the work?" "Surely others would want to help." " Surely others would see that the old man needed a great army of people to help Him."

Sadly, no one seemed inclined to join us.

As I thought on these things, I heard the voice of the old man who was standing behind me say, "You will reap of the harvest." "You will receive your part."

The words He spoke seemed to reach down into the depths of my soul. What I had just heard seemed so amazing to me. "Surely this is no ordinary man" I thought. "Who is he?" Just at that moment I realized that the old man was no ordinary man and that I was in the presence of the Lord. As I quickly turned to see the old man, I awoke from the dream.

As I sat there thinking on what I had just seen, the following words rang loud in my spirit.

The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

There are many who are called and many who have been given wonderful giftings to reach our generation for Jesus. Sadly many choose not to listen to that still small voice. They choose not to join in the work that will give eternal rewards. They are preoccupied with the cares and entanglements of this world.

God is calling you....God is calling us all to the work that must be done before harvest. There is a great need for laborers. Have you been ignoring the call to service? Have you chosen to sow and reap the harvest of this world rather than sharing in the eternal harvest?

Just as I am writing this, the Lord is saying to me that some will read this and know in their hearts that He is calling them. In fact, He has been calling you for a long time.

It's worth it my friend. It's worth it. Serving the Lord is an honor. Helping to save the souls of those who are out of the way is worth it.

Let me encourage you to walk away from the path you have been traveling and join into the glorious work of the Lord. He is calling you.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Old Man And The Hoe

Post by kimdelacreme on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:25 am

Amen!!! I had heard that scripture in my spirit before i read what that scripture you wrote. Cool! Confirmation! Neato. That is so true.

Thanks for sharing!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HeatherOnia on Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 pm

I love this. It further encouraged me. I am going on a mission trip in a week.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:42 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum