Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
traveller

The difference between trials, tests and temptation?

This morning we had someone preach on trials and tests. He believes and preached that ALL trials and tests are from God and we should welcome them. He made a distinction between trials and temptations and said that a temptation is the devil's way of making us react wrongly to a trial that comes from God and that (his opinion) we often blame things on the devil that are really from God. And yes, that the result should always be that we go to God and His Word.
I had an unease in my spirit when he was preaching.. as some things he said were true,(like the going to God and His Word..) but some things felt like they weren't. Because, if one thinks all trials come from God, why does the Bible urge us to put on God's armour?(Eph 6:11-18). But then again, I've noticed in my church that's probably a hot topic too as they don't believe in deliverance ministry as such either... Mmm..more than likely related...
I know we shouldn't base our faith on feelings, so i've started looking up some verses on tests, trials and temptations in the Bible and i found a few to ponder on:

1Peter1:6/7 '(You should) be exceedingly glad on this account, though now for a little while you may be distressed by trials and suffer temptations, so that (the genuineness) of your faith may be tested, (your faith) which is infinitely more precious than the perishable gold which is tested and purified by fire. (This proving of your faith is intended) to redound to (your) praise and glory and honour when Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One) is revealed.'
Rev.3:10 'Because you have guarded and kept My word of patient endurance, I also will keep you (safe) from the hour of trial(testing) which is coming on the whole world to try those who dwell upon the earth'.
1Cor.10:13 'For no temptation (no trial regarded as enticing to sin, mo matter how it comes or where it leads) has overtaken you and laid hold on you that is not common to man (that is, no temptation or trial has come to you that is beyond human resistance and that is not adjusted and adapted and belonging to human experience, and such as man can bear). But God is faithful (to His Word and to His compassionate nature), and He (can be trusted) not to let you be tempted and tried and assayed beyond your ability and strength of resistance and power to endure, but with the temptation He will (always) also provide the way out (the means of escape to a landing place), that you may be capable and strong and powerful to bear up under it patiently.'

I know there is heaps more on this, but this is just a start:-) And yes, i know God can use anything to bring us closer to him, but I've always believed that certain trials(eg.sickness, abuse, etc,etc) were definitely NOT from God.. Temptation seems clearly defined, eg: as satan tried to tempt right from the beginning of time with Adam/Eve and with Jesus in the desert.
I would love to get feedback on this as I have an opinion on this, but i want my opinion to be based on God's word (biblical/ Holy Spirit revealed knowledge) So please share what any of you has learned about this ..

God bless you all and looking forward to your replies!!

I believe we give the devil too much credit.

See, the enemy can't do anything without God's permission. I believe God allows things to happen and come upon us to test our faith to Him and draw us closer to Him. The enemy uses those same test to, yes, tempt us to sin and give up.

The armor of God is there to protect us from what the enemy tries to throw our way during those times of testing. If you break the entire armor of God down, you will see that each piece reflects the Word. Actually, I'm doing a study on it that I will post when it's done. We have to be fully dressed. We can't go into battle half-dressed!

What about when God said, "This sickness is not unto death but for the glory of God"?

I want to go a little further but I can't right now. I just wanted to add my
Psalms 119:71 "It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn my statutes." Do you think our statutes could be known if God doesn't allow these periods of testing? He already knows what He's put in us and how much we can take (if we trust in Him). That's where the scripture you mentioned comes into play. I Cor. 10:13

There's more I'd like to add to this but I don't have time right now. I just wanted to add my Two Cents

Virtuous wrote:
I believe we give the devil too much credit.

See, the enemy can't do anything without God's permission. I believe God allows things to happen and come upon us to test our faith to Him and draw us closer to Him. The enemy uses those same test to, yes, tempt us to sin and give up.

The armor of God is there to protect us from what the enemy tries to throw our way during those times of testing. If you break the entire armor of God down, you will see that each piece reflects the Word. Actually, I'm doing a study on it that I will post when it's done. We have to be fully dressed. We can't go into battle half-dressed!

What about when God said, "This sickness is not unto death but for the glory of God"?

I want to go a little further but I can't right now. I just wanted to add my
Psalms 119:71 "It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn my statutes." Do you think our statutes could be known if God doesn't allow these periods of testing? He already knows what He's put in us and how much we can take (if we trust in Him). That's where the scripture you mentioned comes into play. I Cor. 10:13

There's more I'd like to add to this but I don't have time right now. I just wanted to add my

Come on sister Preach it!!!!!!!!!! I know where you are going to with this......

Sister Halo

Thanks for your reply Virtuous!
'I believe we give the devil too much credit.'
Yes, i'm aware of this and try to not do this myself, but in my church the devil usually doesn't get mentioned at all and when i mention spiritual warfare people don't really understand what i mean. I can see people in this church being bound by things and/or suffering (sometimes caused by wrong choices, but also as the result of I don't know..) I'm specifically talking about alcoholism, severe depression/related mental illnesses, poverty, continuous sickness in some people, kids from very abusive backgrounds, FEAR in various forms, unforgiveness and related bitterness)
I know God allows things to happen and that some things are sins of the flesh and not necessarily from the enemy, (in the case of unforgiveness/bitterness the Bible mentions serious consequences..)
and that people can grow through these experiences (I myself can testify of certain events happening in my life, that eventually have made me stronger and been turned around for good but that's a long story) but I guess i'm more struggling with the fact who causes some of these events in the first place? Meaning:if sickness comes from God, we can't tell it to go in the name of Jesus as it then already comes from Him. But if it comes from the devil, we can tell it to go in the name of Jesus. So where does deliverance ministry come into all this?
And when it's a sin of the flesh, we need to fight that with God's help, so that's different I think.

I have understanding of some of this, but maybe I'm missing something vital here and like I said in the first post, I'm willing to learn and want my opinion to be based on what God says on this!
I'm still pondering on this and look forward to more replies:-)

Hi Traveller,

Your question...

I guess i'm more struggling with the fact who causes some of these events in the first place? Meaning:if sickness comes from God, we can't tell it to go in the name of Jesus as it then already comes from Him. But if it comes from the devil, we can tell it to go in the name of Jesus. So where does deliverance ministry come into all this?

You are right, sickness does NOT come from God, it comes from the spirit of infirmity (the source is the devil)...however, it also comes from us not doing what we are supposed to do to take care of our bodies...BUT, we have been redeemed/delivered from all of this already. The way of escape that 1 Cor 10:13 talks about is Jesus...HE is our way of escape. We already have been given EVERYTHING to live this life, but it comes through the knowledge of Jesus (2 Peter 1:3)

It amazes me what is going on in the pulpits these days. I know it's because people just don't truly know Truth, but we have to get it together in the Body of Christ. We have gotten away from JESUS!!! We have forgotten that He sacrificed His life so that we can have the ABUNDANT LIFE!! It's the devil that comes to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10).

I do agree that trials and testing are allowed by God because He uses them to strengthen us. He holds the "control" button to how long and how much pressure is applied. God doesn't CAUSE these things because He is HOLY! God doesn't tempt us (James 1:13)

I'm happy for you Traveller because you were uncomfortable with what was being taught. This is why the Bible tells us to study to show ourselves approved. Everything that we are being taught from the pulpit should be in line with the Word of God. "Remind [the people] of these facts and [solemnly] charge them in the presence of the Lord to avoid petty controversy over words, which does no good but upsets and undermines the faith of the hearers. Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth. (2 Tim 2:14-15 AMP)

As far as Deliverance Minstry? I don't know too much about them so I can't speak to where they fit into all of this. What I do know is that we have already been delivered...we just need to know what the Word of God says about who we are through Jesus Christ. We need to know what is in our inheritence and the power that we have because of Jesus Christ. We are HEIRS!!!! If we were natural heirs...meaning if our rich brother left us an inheiritence...we would be studying the will from the beginning to the end so we can make sure we receive ALL that was left to us. This is what we need to be doing with the Word of God. It is the WILL of Jesus Christ. He left us a whole lot of "stuff"...we just need to be aware of what was left behind so we can receive ALL that is ours. No one should be able to come and tell us whats in the will...we have to know for ourselves...and to top it off, He left us a Helper/Teacher...to lead us into the Truth of the Will.

Blessings to you

Hi Cholette,

Thanks for your clear reply and for giving all the scripture verses with it!
[quote]"It amazes me what is going on in the pulpits these days. I know it's because people just don't truly know Truth, but we have to get it together in the Body of Christ. We have gotten away from JESUS!!! We have forgotten that He sacrificed His life so that we can have the ABUNDANT LIFE!! It's the devil that comes to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10)."
Amen!
I do take it seriously what (and what isn't) taught in the church and like u said, we need to know what is being said, lines up with what God says about it.. As 'my people are destroyed for lack of knowledge,..'(Hos.4:6a)
I also pray for an increase in discernment for the church as a whole and individually (myself included). There's more in your reply that i'll need to ponder/meditate on a bit more, but for now:
Thanx again Cholette:

God