Discerning the source of a dream: Self, God, the enemy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Discerning the source of a dream: Self, God, the enemy

Post by Noah777 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Hey everyone,

A couple of weeks back, I posted a dream for help with interpretation ("Would you believe, a dream?", in the "dreams to be interpreted" forum), and of course one of the first challenges I faced was, "How do I know if this dream is of God, the enemy, or myself?"

There was a post shared with a discussion on this subject, but it really didn't deal with the nitty-gritty of the question. I realize that in the end, it's all taken in faith anyway, but I thought I'd prompt some discussion on this with a Bible study I did on this subject that (for me at least) was quite eye-opening. (pun intended)

For me, I'm now more convinced then ever that this latest dream was of God. First of all, there was a hallmark to each of the times I've had a dream from God (which has only been maybe four times in my life): Namely, I was awakened from the dream - usually with a jolt.
I didn't know what I was looking for in this Bible study, except I was hoping for clues as to some consistencies amongst God given dreams - and wow did I find some! It's remarkable how many of the dreams listed in the Bible spoke of the recipient being awakened from the dream God gave them. They didn't wake up later on in the morning, with the dream in the middle of the night sometime - they woke up *now.*

Gen 28:11-22 - Jacob's dream of the ladder ascending to heaven; vs 16 "And Jacob awaked out of his sleep..."
Interestingly, it seemed as Jacob was also questioning whether or not it was just a dream, or a dream of God (it was a dream of God), because he later on says (vs 20) "IF God will be with me, and will keep me in this way..." (that's a big "if")

Gen 41 - Pharoah dreams two dreams, and both times (vs 4 and 7) Pharoah awoke from the dream of God. He knew there was something different about these dreams.

1 Kings 3:1-15; God's discussion with Solomon, and his giving of gift and covenant. Solomon awoke from the dream (vs 15)

Ma 1:18-24 - while it does not specifically state it, it's implied in vs 24 - "Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angle of the Lord had bidden him."
and again, it's implied in chapter 2:13-15, as Joseph "arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt."
and again in ver 20 & 21 (another dream), the angel tells him to arise, and he arose, and took the child and his mother.

And so we run into the paradox that is the good Lord: He is never changing, yet makes a habit of not doing something the same way twice - it seems he never healed a blind man the same way he did before, for example. And so our God of course has the freedom to do as He pleases, but it would appear that there is at least one trend in dreams from God.

So I thought I'd throw this out there and solicit other opinions on the matter: What do you look for in discerning the source of a dream?

God bless!

Noah777

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Discerning the source of a dream: Self, God, the enemy

Post by immortalservant on Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:18 pm

I look for things I would never come up with haha...I know that I have quite an imagination...I dream EVERY NIGHT!!! But when one sticks with me throughout the day...I analyze it a little more closely. Or, if there was a person I have never met is in my dream, I guess certain sceneries. Things like this. Although, I have had many dreams where I have been somewhere or seen soemone talking to me then, I experience them in real life having a deja vue experience....that is mind blowing. We were trying to find a building for our ministry and the whole month we were searching I had these dreams of different locations, hotels, restaurants, malls. Then when we rented out a church building, there were some things in that building that were in each one of my dreams. I dreamed that I was praying in a room with blue carpet and the room had a window where we could look into where our ministry was going. Then a few weeks into renting that building someone needed prayer. A group of us went into a room with blue carpet and a window looking into our ministry!!! Blew my mind I had no idea! The rest of the building had red carpet and I had dreamed that also. So, sometimes I just get hindsight that the dream was from God. Then I am left wondering why I didn't pay more attention...haha it's a challenge!

immortalservant

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/refuelignite

Back to top Go down

Post by Gissy2 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:56 am

Some dreams from God I remember being awoking right then, others I know was from God, I can't remember. Others ways I could tell, the dream is not from me is when I ask questions in the dream or people speak directly to me either asking me questions or telling me direct things. I remember once this angel came to me in a dream, he was standing right next to my bed, he was small, I was looking down to him and he told me God was doing to bless me with four things. I can't remember if he told me them or not and I can't remember being jolted awake afterwards. But I think the dreams from God you would remember forever

Gissy2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah777 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:59 am

Good points folks; especially Gissy, the idea of conversations in the dreams - ya, in my latest dream there was conversation, in one other one (my friends in the hospital with their baby), there was no conversation - I was an observer, in the first, I was in the cockpit of a jetliner crashing - I was definitely yelling things out, but there was no "conversation" - but conversation is definitely another trend in the Biblical accounts of God-given dreams.
Interesting.

Noah777

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Another for me anyway is when I have a dream, within a dream, within a dream. Indicates to me a great spiritual truth. The Lord does that sometimes. I always remember my dreams with the Lord. Some say they have to write them down....I agree you should but I always remember them.

Hope this helps,

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:36 pm

The first thing you should do when you have a dream is go to God, seek him and ask him to help you to know if the dream is from him or from other source. God is faithful, he has used the word of God to help me to understand my dreams and what he is saying. The next thing you should do is personal research, if you dream about a word look up that word in the dictionary, or on the internet, if you dream about an animal find information about that animal, find out the temperament of that animal, find out the way the animals interact with his environment that will help you to understand your dream more. The next thing you should do is put yourself and other characters in the context of the dream identifying with the feelings of the characters involved in the dream so in otherwords if you dream that you are lost and unable to find a way out of a place that could indicate your feelings in real life where you feel lost and unable to find a way out of a circumstance.

Some dreams are demonically inspired, some dreams God uses to show us a demonic attack that we are experiencing in life, when I have had those types of dreams, God is the one who reveals that is what the dream is. For instance I had a dream that was disturbing, sinful, and I woke up to find demonic spirits bothering me so I know I was being attacked by demons and that it wasn't just a random dream. Someone I know is harrassed many times in her dreams by demonic spirits, it has to do with some generational occultic type of issue in her family. I had a dream which I believe God purposely allowed where a baby told me I would die in three days, four days after that I woke up to see a skull man with something red tied around his head laughing at me, it was a demonic spirit harrassing me through my dreams. I realized after that I was being attacked in that area in my life everyday and I believe God was showing me the source of those attacks. For instance I have a very bad fear of people dying etc, I didn't think it was a demonic fear but I found out it was a serious type of demonic fear and that was what God was showing me.

butterfly
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gissy2 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:59 am

butterfly wrote:The first thing you should do when you have a dream is go to God, seek him and ask him to help you to know if the dream is from him or from other source. God is faithful, he has used the word of God to help me to understand my dreams and what he is saying. The next thing you should do is personal research, if you dream about a word look up that word in the dictionary, or on the internet, if you dream about an animal find information about that animal, find out the temperament of that animal, find out the way the animals interact with his environment that will help you to understand your dream more. The next thing you should do is put yourself and other characters in the context of the dream identifying with the feelings of the characters involved in the dream so in otherwords if you dream that you are lost and unable to find a way out of a place that could indicate your feelings in real life where you feel lost and unable to find a way out of a circumstance.

I think this is excellent advice. One time, I dreamt that God said He would change "the profession" of someone I know, so I was thinking this person's career would change, however, this dream was still nagging me so I thought a little deeper and I thought I should look up "profession" in the dictionary (Holy Spirit inspired I would have never thought of that on my own) and the first definition I got was "professing your faith", plus in the dream I remember seeing someone whose name is Faith. So the word search does put a whole different spin on the dream!!!

Gissy2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by immortalservant on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:09 am

yeah I agree so much with you all...especially the looking up of words, names, and I even like to pull out my concordance to find scripture pertaining to some things that were in my dreams. BibleGateway is an awesome tool! I have experienced also where God uses a "play on words" also. maybe in your dream you find a piece of glass = follow or find peace and stay sharp..idk laugh

immortalservant

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/refuelignite

Back to top Go down

Just thought to add my thoughts =)

Post by Radical4Jesus on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi everyone!

I just thought to add on here, that as the Lord intrusts me with dreams i write them down. Now, i use to be a constant dreamer until i came to the Lord... Now, i am sure i still constantly dream, HOWEVER, the dreams the Lord gives me are the ones that are the most vivid and i remember, especially in detail. Also, the dreams the Lord intrusts me I have learned that when i awaken from them they play like a broken record "over and over" until i write them down. I have learned Gods promptings in many things of my life as a "broken record", a "nagging of the Holy Spirit" until you do it. Sometimes even an urgency to write it down. Those dreams are the ones in which will happen in the near future (atleast this is how God has let me know). I also believe God wants me to be responisble with them, So i write them down in a journal. Seek His face about them and only share with whom he allows me to share them with. I have learned by sharing a dream or a revealed revelation of something, especially if God only wants you to interceded on the matter, it can have an opposite affect of what God intended it to be. God spoke to me once and said: "Take care of what I give you"... at this time, it was a healing of my neck and i kept popping it afterwards because the habitual "need" to do so... but the Lord let me know that this is in EVERYTHING. ;) There has only been certain times God has led me into a "study" on a given word or something of my dream to further study out and learn. Each time being extrememly profitable. =) Which, ofcourse, He ALWAYS knows BEST ~ ha hah. =) As I am writing this I am thinking that I should do that more immortalservant... I just love how the Lord works in revealing something as simple as that to us =) I love Him so much... anyway...

I just thought to pipe in on the coversation. I hope that was okay.

It is amazing how God uses dreams.

Have a Wonderful Day!

Radical4Jesus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jwhita on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi Noah, you're right about all the dreams you mentioned. But there are other dreams in scripture where waking isn't mentioned, and even in the ones you did it isn't always clear if they woke up immediately. In those cases where people were woken up they were very troubling dreams. So waking is a good indicator, but not waking immediately shouldn't make you write off a dream either. And I'm sure all of us have been shocked awake by demonic dreams as well.

jwhita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shofar on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 am

jwhita wrote:Hi Noah, you're right about all the dreams you mentioned. But there are other dreams in scripture where waking isn't mentioned, and even in the ones you did it isn't always clear if they woke up immediately. In those cases where people were woken up they were very troubling dreams. So waking is a good indicator, but not waking immediately shouldn't make you write off a dream either. And I'm sure all of us have been shocked awake by demonic dreams as well.

Have had many dreams when I have awakened in shock and those were most definitely dreams that I am sure were from God and others where I didn't wake up right away and yet those too were dreams from God. I don't think you can write a dream off if you wake up trouble or not.

For example.. I had this dream just a few days ago.. and yet I know this dream was a bit troubling but yet very profound.. Had this dream (Saturday Jan. 16. 2009)
In the dream I am on this boat and a storm is all around me and the waves are horrendous, like raging all around me. The sky is so dark gray..(thick dark gray), and raining and it seems as it is night time.. So I am some how on this boat, think heading for some where and all of the sudden I am taken straight up out of no where, like a hand just lifts me up. Like the Lord takes me up out of the way of this storm. In fact I am sure as I think back on the dream now that it was the Lord's hand. It seems strange but somehow I felt like Seth (my grandson) was apart of this?? Dunno as I don't remember much else in this dream other then I am taken out of this storm, as in like straight away, up. That is all I can remember of the dream.

As troubling as this dream was and how I suddenly woke up from it, that doesn't make it any less from God here.. Have to agree with you jwhita, either way, waking up right away or not. Have had open visions where I didn't understand whatever and was rather in shock but it doesn't make it any less from God, and other visions that were wonderful.. Same with dreams, in both cases..

FOR HIS GLORY AND WILL ALONE!!!

Ann

shofar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shofar on Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:16 am

Noah777 wrote:Good points folks; especially Gissy, the idea of conversations in the dreams - ya, in my latest dream there was conversation, in one other one (my friends in the hospital with their baby), there was no conversation - I was an observer, in the first, I was in the cockpit of a jetliner crashing - I was definitely yelling things out, but there was no "conversation" - but conversation is definitely another trend in the Biblical accounts of God-given dreams.
Interesting.

Noah I have had many dreams that had no conversation at all in them, sometimes I am just an observer.. to something that God is showing me.. It doesn't make it any less from God for the dreams he has given me.. Dreams that are from God, have a different flavor to them.. and you know that you know when they are from God, or at least I do, they all have either symbolic descriptions, colors and sometimes numbers that give it away.. also sometimes a still small voice that stands out in the dream for direction. There are many things in my dreams anyway.. that give this away. It isn't like a regular dream for me. Hard to explain except to say that I can just always tell the difference. Also the symbolism almost always can be found in the word.. or clues to scripture, like in this last dream, flight or escape. Then you have to go in search of scripture to find what GOd is showing you. Also often times God will give me scriptures within the dream. It varies..!! Pray before you go to sleep and ask the Lord to show you the difference.

FOR HIS GLORY AND WILL ALONE!!

Ann

shofar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum