The purpose of symbols

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The purpose of symbols

Post by awesomegod16 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Why does God use symbols? Whats the purpose of him doing this? Is it so that we can like dig deeper to find a meaning for our dreams?
What I mean is that when we dream, it seems to be so much of an enigma itself, perhaps the dream when it finds its way to our heart and mind, is sifted through our ideas, memories, and past, so much so that when we see it, it doesnt make any sense to us? Isnt that the same way that in the bible Jesus spoke in parables?

blossom

awesomegod16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The purpose of symbols

Post by HisLightbeam on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi, sweetie, long time, no hear. Well, we know that the Lord's thoughts are higher than ours, and His ways are way different than ours. I have pasted a few scriptures as to His way with speaking to prophets and then how He dealt with Moses. I suspect that the level of clarity with which we are honored to receive information has everything to do with humility-dependence on God.
1 Miriam and Aaron began to talk against Moses because of his Cushite wife, for he had married a Cushite. 2 "Has the LORD spoken only through Moses?" they asked. "Hasn't he also spoken through us?" And the LORD heard this.
3 (Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth.)
4 At once the LORD said to Moses, Aaron and Miriam, "Come out to the Tent of Meeting, all three of you." So the three of them came out. 5 Then the LORD came down in a pillar of cloud; he stood at the entrance to the Tent and summoned Aaron and Miriam. When both of them stepped forward, 6 he said, "Listen to my words:
"When a prophet of the LORD is among you,
I reveal myself to him in visions,
I speak to him in dreams.

7 But this is not true of my servant Moses;
he is faithful in all my house.

8 With him I speak face to face,
clearly and not in riddles;
he sees the form of the LORD.
Why then were you not afraid
to speak against my servant Moses?"

I know that this is true for me. That when I walk in the utmost dependence upon the Lord for everything, including defending me, feeding me, caring for me, and communicating with me, I hear things so clearly, that I don't dream. And when it gets foggy, I dream a lot and have visions. But everyone's experience is different. The one thing holds true. God is still God and does whatever He pleases.

When God "riddles" me, it makes me seek Him more, for fellowship, thanksgiving, and worship, because I am diligently searching for an answer. And searching for an answer makes me rub shoulders with Him.
It gives me learning experiences, by making me ask better questions that require more than a yes or no. It makes me analyze the motives of my heart and evaluate myself. Makes me die to myself as I struggle to understand what the Lord is saying to me. Spiritual growth. Many times, God gives symbols in a message that is not about us, but when the message is relayed to the other person, it is like a bridge that connects the body of the message with the receiver of the message. I may not know the significance of the symbol, I may not "get it", but for the person I am relaying the message to, the symbol is personal, intimate, and they are acquainted with it-it shows them that the Lord is sending the message and that it is real.

Of course, we only see in part, and know in part. I could never give you a complete answer unless I was God. Heaven forbid.

Hope this helps un poquito.

HisLightbeam
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by awesomegod16 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:03 pm

I do understand what you are saying. It's good to be back here and to inquire about these things. I have not stop seeking. Its just very interesting to me especially since I had been reading about the parables that Jesus spoke about. And in the gospels he spoke to the people in parables but to the disciples he said it was for them to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. So i read the book of revelation and its all symbols too. And the old testament. I have to say that I have been pondering these questions about symbols and what they mean for me. I am sure that God does speak to me in dreams, it did take awhile to understand that, because my heart and ears were not used to hearing him so he spoke in a way I would be familiar and apt to stop what I was doing to respond to him. This has led to me having more of a relationship with him than before, where I would not spend the time to get to know him. So is it like digging for something that is more precious like gold then. Perhaps its in the seeking of an answer that God unfolds more?

blossom

awesomegod16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HisLightbeam on Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Yes! It is the seeking for the hidden things of God, that digging for gold!

HisLightbeam
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top