Dream Vocabulary

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dream Vocabulary

Post by daphanie02 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:30 pm

I love Mia's teaching about seeking God for every answer regarding our dreams. Its so easy for me to post my dreams online, but what if someone gives you feedback that doesn't sit well with you? What if it doesnt feel right? It may make sense, and seem really clever, but its not at all the way you felt in the dream. God wants to give you divine revelation from Him. We should seek Him first and then come to our fellow brothers and sisters for confirmation. Seeking God for the meaning of your dreams, will not only bring you to a more intimate level with God, it will help you to hear God's voice and thereby develope your own dream vocabulary. Also, if you are hearing from God about your own dreams, it makes sense you will hear Him when He speaks about another's dream.

I dont claim to know everything about the dreams and visions God gives us, but I would like to share what I've come to understand about 3 types of dream symbols that structure our "dream vocabulary." There is no dream dictionary on earth with ALL the answers. Trust God to reveal them to you. He is our MAIN dream dictionary because He has all the answers. While Christian dream dictionaries will help a lot, it could be that the symbol you are looking for just can't be found. Proverbs 25:2 says " It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings." There's nothing wrong with looking in your head for the answers. Sometimes God uses what's in your head to create the perfect dream for communication. thinking

1. Personal Symbols- "A leg to Stand on" & The Hula Girl.....

Personal Symbols usually come from what you are filling yourself up with or what is learned from every day life. If you hear a catchy phrase, God may use it in a dream that night or even a week later. God will sometimes use what you have stored in your brain to get His point across. The cool thing about this type of symbol is that it's mostly between you and God and know one else may know the answer.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "a leg to stand on?" It means help during rough times or God backing you up.

I had a dream where someone loaned me their fake leg because i only had one leg. I was walking around in this person's house with this fake leg showing them how well i could walk with it. It so happened that it was my husband's (just dating at the time) father I was walking in front of. I really wanted his parents to like me. But since we met online, and his parents were old fashioned, they weren't too excited about me. Well his dad saw that I walked so well with that fake leg, that he invited me back!
The Lord spoke to me the next day and said "I will give you a leg to stand on and his parents will like you so much, they will invite you back." of course thats exactly what happened! They invited me back! praiseGod

I used to think of a hula girl from Hawaii, as symbolic for enticement. I actually had a dream where my husband was inside a hut that was built on a rock. I was standing outside with a group of girls and watched as a hula dancer tried to entice him to come out. I saw his jaw firmly set and he stayed where he was. I felt comfortable enough to leave with my friends. I knew I could trust him.
The dream obviously meant that my husband lived on THE ROCK and he was not giving in to temptation and that I could trust him.

However, i had another dream where a hula dancer meant something totally different.
One night i was watching Seinfeld and (this is bad but God still used it) one man stated to the other how one of his friends went on their honeymoon to Hawaii. He then went on to say that something about the hula dancers had made him turn gay.

Well i had a dream that night that i was in this apartment complex strictly for men. No woman was even allowed on the property ever. I had a strong feeling that everyone there was homosexual. I snuck in and saw an apartment where a man I knew lived. He was someone I had questioned in my mind about and was praying for. I never voiced my concerns to anyone else. Just the Lord. I walked in the mans door and saw him laying in his bed. Suddenly all these women were "after" him. But he turned them down so as not to offend the Lord by living in sin. Then i saw a Hula dancer at his bed. He watched the dancer but turned away. He never gave in to her.

In this dream, God used the hula dancer as a symbol for temptation to turn gay.

God used the symbol of the Hula dancer from my night of watching Seinfeld to show me the heart of this man. Symbols aren't always used the same way twice.

Its important that you pray for the meaning of a symbol and while you are meditating on the answer, be thinking of what the symbol could mean to you just in case God has used a personal symbol He picked from your brain. idea

2. Common symbols- Tornadoes, Volcanoes, and Babies, OH MY!
tornado :rocking:
There are some symbols such as babies, that have a broad spectrum of meanings but in the end come down to two main things. A baby can either be literal or symbolic. Either the baby is about a real baby in real life, or its a responciblity that takes up your time and energy. I've had babies mean so many different things such as: School, ministry, work, a relationship...you get the idea. Its usually something new or time consuming that eventually becomes "your baby". The symbolism for babies is a list that can go on and on and on. The same goes for tornadoes and volcanoes. Either they are literal for real tornadoes or volcanoes, or they have symbolic meaning with several different possiblities just like the case with the baby symbol.

There are so many other common symbols and any common symbol can become a personal symbol. ( Personal symbols depend on what you are filling yourself with.)

3. Biblical Symbols- Fruit of the Spirit

Have you ever had a dream that you knew was truely from the Lord? It was parabolic in nature with mountians, valleys, rivers, sheep, vines, and fruit? You wake up knowing the dream was prophetic. The first place you should seek for guidence, along with the Lord, is your bible. God once told me, "if you dont know the meaning, go to the original source, My Word." :book:

Its amazing what God uses straight from His word. There are common verses I see the Lord use for example if someone dreams of eating ripe juicy fruit, the verse is sometimes Galations 5:22: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

I have also had a vine that produced fruit which stood for my finances at the time which is also biblical. In the bible, people who grew fruit from the vine, did it to their benefit. If they had a vineyard with a bountiful crop, they were well off.

I also see dreams where people have bullets or other weapons fired at them, only to have them bounce off them or be supernaturally detered so the dreamer won't be harmed. The verse that comes to mind when I hear them is Isaiah 54:17: "no weapon forged against you shall prosper..." :cute:

There are other dreams that leave me scratching my head and i think there's no way it could be in the bible. However Im often surprised at the answers I find.

One woman dreamed her stomach was swelling and her thigh was rotting away. She saw her sister across from her and knew that she was sharing in the same sin her sister was.

I found in the Old Testament where the preists were to give a woman accused of adultery a test in Numbers 5:19 "Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, "If no other man has slept with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. 20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have defiled yourself by sleeping with a man other than your husband"- 21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse of the oath-"may the LORD cause your people to curse and denounce you when he causes your thigh to waste away and your abdomen to swell."
The question I was left to ask the woman was, "Is your sister comitting adultry?" :uhoh:

I hope this helps some of you. Like I said, I am still learning so much and hope to one day add more on this topic. Seek God for each answer, pretty soon you will have your own Dream Vocabulary made up of, but not limited to: personal symbols, common symbols, and Biblical symbols.
Love you all very much!
In Christ,
Daph

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dream Vocabulary

Post by Delaine on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:01 pm

Thank you, Daph--it was very helpful. flower

Delaine

Delaine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:11 pm

oh good! you're very welcome!
~Daph

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamster on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:49 pm

well,well,well,what hav we here,a budding author, :book: i think you should write a small book , anyone else get that? wow wow

dreamster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Not much more to say than: That was excellent.

Mia

I'm a lousy example of a Christian but a PERFECT example of God's Grace.

http://www.heartsongministry.com

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

View user profile http://www.miasherwood.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:12 pm

I sense a possible book maybe......?????? kiss

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:05 pm

well if it was THAT helpful then i believe I will save it in case a book opportunity arises :giggle: thank you all so very much!
love Daph

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:21 pm

LOL rofl

We love you!

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Desiree (Starpop) on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:48 am

Daph,
that was amazing! I agree: you should be able to find dream symbols within the context of God's word! Its amazing how I find "idioms" or (common phrases) used in my dream as well! God always picks something that fits with your personal situation!! :)
I love God to pieces--he leaves me speechless always!
smooches and thanks again
desiree kiss

Desiree (Starpop)
Supporting Member/Moderator
Supporting Member/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Awesome!!

Post by reebear on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:07 am

This was very insightful! Thank You!

reebear

View user profile http://myspace.com/reeseburton

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:13 pm

youre welcome reebear!
Daph

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks Daphanie this was very helpful.

butterfly
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Im so glad butterfly!! thumbs
love,
Daph

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:53 am

I read this a moment too late because it reminded me that I posted something without going to the Word of God FIRST!!! I had been doing really well with that. I'm so happy that God loves me enough to look past my "oopsies"... :oops:

Thank you Daph...by the way...I agree about the bookssssssss!!! :okay:

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top