Are you careful who you tell your dreams to?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are you careful who you tell your dreams to?

Post by Jen on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:02 am

I wondered if there were others like me, who had to be careful not to mention their having dreams to close family members in fear of being misunderstood. I only have about three people who know and believe including my spouse.
I would be interested in hearing your stories. Also what about within your church? Can you be open about it there?
God Bless,
Jen

Jen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you careful who you tell your dreams to?

Post by daphanie02 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:42 am

I also have only a few people i can talk to among my family and friends. Church is a problem as well, most Christians have dream interpretations associated with witchcraft. I even asked the Lord if satan was behind my dreams and visions and if it was of God would He please show me? I went to the bible and found everything i needed there.
God has been working on me to speak out more about dreams and visions to others. I heard these words in my sleep the other night "Supernatural gifts were not made to be hidden." I knew i wasnt hiding it online but i definatly watch what i say around others. I feel like God is urging me to speak out more. how do you feel about it?
Daph

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Desiree (Starpop) on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:35 pm

I personally have felt that I needed to be "cautious". Remember that scripture in Mark that speaks of "a prophet without honor"(Mark 6:4)? That scripture tells us that around those that are closest to us (family, friends, etc) our gifts sometimes are not recognized and people look intently at the "vessel" instead of the message coming through. The people that will more likely hear/acknowledge us or those that don't really know us (ie: associates, passersby, etc) For example, lets say that I was a drug addict for years and my family knew it (all the bad things that accompanied that addiction they knew too), well lets say I give my life to Christ and then I am a brand new creature and began testifying/displaying the gifts God has given me. Well, some of those same family members possibly may not acknowledge my "newness" in Christ and still think I'm the same person so, they choose not to hear from God through me because they are too concerned about where I used to be. Jesus experienced the same things and that's why he brought this scripture to the forefront. Often times, people who know us will misunderstand us--that's why discernment is key. I am excited about what God is doing personally in my life but I can't always display that in front of my family (even though they're saved) because it would be "casting my pearls before swine" (matthew 7:6). Get it? Definitely be careful pumpkin but don't be afraid to share of God's goodness because it may just bless someone and be what someone needs to hear!! Its definitely good to "pick and choose" what you say!
smooches
desiree

Desiree (Starpop)
Supporting Member/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:07 pm

What a wonderful point desiree! I agree! Why do you think God told me that about supernatural gifts? Becase i do share some things with my family if they bring the subject up or something...
love,
Daph

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Desiree (Starpop) on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:08 pm

thanks alot Daph and very true!
smooches
desiree kiss huggins

Desiree (Starpop)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:39 pm

did you see my question desiree? thanks for your help,
Daph

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Delaine on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:25 pm

Jen, I'm definitely careful who I share my dreams with--especially when I don't understand them myself! As Daph and Desiree said, people just don't know how to relate. That's why I'm so grateful for this forum. We are all in this together!!! happy dance

Delaine

Delaine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:18 pm

I learned the HARD way about NOT sharing my dreams. I started dreaming prophetically as a child and I didn't know that the dreams were from God until I started seeing them come to pass.

As a young adult my dreams were almost every other night and because i was insecure with my walk with God I tried to put my dreams out there, not to brag, but to say "hey, God loves me too since he's showing these things to me." Well, God gave me the story of Joseph when he dreamed and ran to tell his brothers what he saw and then his brothers threw him in a pit. I also was thrown into a pit of persecution and I had to shut my mouth for a LONG TIME to let things die down. :zipit:

Now at the luscious age of 41, I know better and I don't tell anyone anything unless they are in my dream and I need to tell them about it. Everyone doesn't understand it. Like Daph says, people do not take dreams seriously and think it's witchcraft. Even when one of my friends had a dream and I asked her if I could post her dream on this site. Her response was "I don't know who those people are or if they are really praying to God so don't put my dreams on that site." It's really okay because I know that God speaks to me whether others believe it or not!! :yes:

Great question!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamster on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:12 am

totally,had the most grief from other church members tho.they said i was off the rails,but the lord who is full of laughter and rich in humour,gave one of my sisters a dream about selling some land and putting the price up $ioo,ooo.oo from where it was, when they did it sold in seven days,after it had been avialable for ages.my un beileveing sista in the lord was rather sheepish :blushing: afta that event. :roflx: D

dreamster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:42 am

Dreamster,

I would hope so....LOL :roflx: :roflx:

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:28 am

Thanks for sharing everyone, I needed to know and be comforted by this fact.
Daphanie,
I feel the same way at times.. I wonder if it could be Satin? But time and time again God confirms that it is him through events, other people and scripture. Glad I'm not the only one who doubts at times. :blushing:

Once I asked a respected pastor his opinion and was very disappointed because he said it was one of three things, God, Satin or a coincidence. He said it could be from God but he said he wouldn't expect it on a regular basis. He also said that a dream could be interpreted in a variety of ways.

Like I said I was disapppointed, but I didn't let it crush me. Because even though he is a really awesome pastor.. it's possible God just hasn't let him experience dreams yet and it is natural for him to be skeptical. Honestly, before I did I would have thought someone was a nut case! LOL

So glad I have ya'll !!!!

Love,
Jen

Jen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LifeTransformed on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:19 am

How does my Christian Friends/family/Pastor relate to my dreams? Well, my husband does not understand, nor do I expect him to. I have a prayer warrior who urged me not to "diss" God. She was very adamant about my dreams coming from God during a time when I was questioning if it was my unconcious/concious/satan/God. I have heard so many suggestions on this, but had to learn not to listen to all those voices. I have learned to rely on the voice of God. When I opened up to her about an incident on last year and she saw it come to pass, she was "convinced" that they were from God! She never doubted like I did and she was and is such a great encouragement. God used her to open my eyes. It encouraged me to seek him for answers/guidance to my unanswered questions regarding my dreams.

About two years ago, I dreamt about my Pastor. I saw him slumped over the toilet holding his back. It seemed like he was in agony. I mean, by the look on his face, he seemed to be in excruciating pain. At Wednesday Night Bible Study, I noticed he was absent. After Study was over, I approached one of the ministers and told her about the dream I had the night before. Her eyes got big and she exclaimed "You've got to tell the Pastor! You've got to tell the Pastor! Your dream is prophetic! He called me today, said he couldn't be here tonight because he was having lower back pains which may warrant a visit to the chiropractor/doctor." I must admit, I was SCARED to go and tell him. But I did. He didn't respond. When I asked him about suggestions regarding dream interpretation. He didn't respond. He remained tightlipped.

Very few understand, but many do not. I agree with Desiree in reference to "discernment." When I dream about people, I pray for them and the only time I inform them of my dream is if the Holy Spirit leads me to. Oh! I agree with my prayer warrior friend who told me not to diss God. (not sure why she chose those words but it convicted me) I truly believe that my dreams come from God because even when I can't interpret some of them, I receive a REVELATION days, months or years down the line. I PRAISE GOD FOR THIS GIFT! I have had it since a child but did not understand it. I PRAISE GOD for His faithfulness! He never gave up! But the closer I walk with God, the more He reveals. Yes, It is very hard to open up about your dreams. Allow the Holy Spirit to lead you in this.

Life Transformed

LifeTransformed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamster on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:24 pm

man :dash: people need to read&beleive their bibles.how often does God speak thru dreams!if joe&mary didnt do dream and go to eygpt there may hav been no jesus what fink about it.D

dreamster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Desiree (Starpop) on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am

Daph,
what was your question?
smooches
desiree

Desiree (Starpop)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:08 am

Why do you think God told me that about supernatural gifts? Becase i do share some things with my family if they bring the subject up or something...
love,
Daph

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Desiree (Starpop) on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:36 am

I would say to use discernment. When I thought of your question I thought about Moses. Remember how God did so much through Moses--not to bring him glory but to bring Glory to God to show the believers and nonbelievers that HE IS THE GREAT I AM, THE BRIGHT AND MORNING STAR, THE ALPHA AND OMEGA!! God is the only one that can perform miracles and he uses the vessel that is humble enough to let HIM do the work through them. I believe that God is using you in your family to bring your family into the kingdom. (I believe that this is the only reason why God would reveal that statement to you: "supernatural gifts weren't meant to be hidden".) You remember that scripture in the new testament about "prohesying when unbelievers come in so that they'll believe when they hear?" (parahrase)...Prophecy is for those that don't believe so that when they hear and see the miracles of God that no man can fathom, they will turn to christ. I believe that you have that gift Daph, its evident and those supernatural gifts (those natural gifts enhanced by the spirit) used in the appropriate way can only bring people closer to Christ. AWESOMe!! Obviously God can entrust you with his wonders!!!
smooches
desiree
p.s. I hope you understand. How could I have missed this question before? I had a blond moment (forgive me!! :)

Desiree (Starpop)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:16 am

When the Lord first gave me the gift of prophetic dreams, during the same period of time, I was also asking Him what the following scripture meant:

Cast not they pearls before swine lest they trample them under foot and turn and rend you.

Shortly there after, one day I was about to call my mother and share a prophetic dream that I had had. Even though I thought in the back of my mind that she was just going to humor me while privately thinking that I had lost it, I picked up the receiver to the phone (back in the days that we used those types of phones), and had it halfway to my ear, when I heard the Lord say as plainly as day, "Cast not they pearls before swine................"

My mouth hung open as I absorbed the absolute clarity of what He was telling me. First, I completely grasped what He was showing me the scripture to mean. The spirtual gift that I have and the supernatural revelations, prophetic visions, etc, are pearls (supernatural revelation, prophetic words, etc.) and if you share your pearls with the wrong people OR BEFORE THE PROPER TIME they will criticize it (trample them underfoot) and their criticism will hurt (rend you).

Secondly, "God, did you just call my mother a swine?"

Mia

I'm a lousy example of a Christian but a PERFECT example of God's Grace.

http://www.heartsongministry.com

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

View user profile http://www.miasherwood.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LifeTransformed on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:51 am

Daphnie, you came to mind when I read this scripture in reference to your question to Desiree...thought I'd share.

James 1:16-18 16Don't be deceived, my dear brothers. 17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. 18He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

Agape',

Life Transformed

LifeTransformed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:05 am

Yes !
You are right on as usual Mia.

Sometimes the fact that I cannot "tell" makes me sad though. I feel like I have such good news.. but I know that it would be useless to say anything.

That brings me to another subject. If we are saying that most of the people we come into contact with cannot be told.. then what do you think God's pupose for the dreams would be? To prepare us as individuals or to reach out to only specific people who will believe? Is preparing us for something big later? I am interested as to your thoughts and experiences. Mia please tell us what you think also. You seem to have a little mroe experience than most of us.

Just curious if anyone else has been asking themselves these questions.
Love,
Jen

Jen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:17 pm

I feel the same way too! I also feel bad for people that have to go through life blindly because they don't believe that God speaks through dreams. But I feel my calling is an evangelist for life in the spirit. I am hoping that through life I can be spiritual without being kooky and the combination of the two draws more people to hear from God by living life in the Spirit.

I am not saying that they cannot be told what I am saying is that we have to be led by God. There is a time and place for everything.

God's purpose for dreams is to communicate with us about our lives. Sometimes it is to help others too. Sometimes He will show us something that will give us extra faith to believe for something that He wants to do in our lives. Yesterday I was coming down with a urinary tract infection and I was RELIEVED that I hadn't had any dreams that I would be facing a serious sickness because I knew it was God's way of telling me there was nothing to worry about. Today I woke up with no symptoms.

The purpose of dreams is for everything. God will speak to us through dreams about anything and everything your human father would speak to you in English about. It's for simple things, it's for daily things, it's for spiritual things, it's for prophetic things. There are so many facets and purposes to dreams that you cannot say they are for this or that. They cover everything like the facets of a diamond.

Love,
Mia

Last edited by Mia on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:38 am

Thanks Mia !

:bighug:
Jen

Jen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:35 pm

This discussion has really blessed me!

Mia - Thanks for your last post in particular. I thank God so much that He led me to this site so that I can understand what He is speaking to me (and what He has said through other dreams). He is so wonderful that He loves me so much that He would open this door so that He can communicate more clearly with me!

praiseGod

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:42 pm

LOL.

Jen, You are welcome! :giggle: :bighug:

Lola, That is awesome! I am absolutely delighted that it helped! He is SO SO SO SO SO SO SO Awesome! Hearing from Him is the last thing on earth that I would sacrifice. There are times when I am so overwhelmed by how awesome it is, in times of stress, in times of trouble, in times of worry, every single time I need to hear from Him it is such a relief that I KNOW I will and CAN!

I mourn for people that don't! And one of the worst parts of that is that there error is the only thing preventing them from communion with the ALMIGHTY!

There have even been times when dealing with people who didn't believe in "that dream business" or "that witchcraft" that I have actually become defensive or ........can't think of the exact word but aggravated with them might fit. :dash: I definitely had lost my patience with ignorance until God said to me, They aren't the enemy they are the mission field.

I mean, isn't that something? Christians, we are talking about Christians, are the mission field in this area of life in the spirit. It amazed me, chilled me out, gave me back my patience and totally blessed me in dealing with people who don't believe in or whom ridicule dream interpretation.

Just remember: They are the mission field!

Love,

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 am

I will remember that Mia "They are the mission field"!!!!

I haven't shared my dreams in a long time, except for those times where I was led to say something to someone regarding THEM. Like I said before, I was one of those that "ran and told everyone" and spread all of the pearls that God gave me before many swine...UGH! That season in my life is still haunting me because just the other day two people came to me in two separate occasions trying to mock me about a couple of the dreams I told them about. One said "Hey whatever happened to that man you were supposed to marry...hehehehe...nice ring on your finger? (said sarcastically because I'm NOT wearing a ring). The other one said, "I thought you said you were supposed to be a woman of fortune and wealth right now." YIKES!!! The only thing I could do was shrug my shoulders when both of them made their comments. It made me chuckle a little inside (key word "little" because I was miffed :slapfight:) because inside I was saying "you just wait". :okay:

We just have to be careful. I'm also grateful that I found this site because I had NO ONE to talk to about dreams. It's just nice to have a community of dreamers to share with. happy dance

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jen on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:37 am

Oh..Cholette,
Don't feel bad.. it's a lesson we've all had to learn. It's so hard when you want to share a message that is potentially life altering and the people you want to share it with are just not ready to receive it.
I also hate it when God gives me a dream about myself. I really can't tell THEN because people would view me as being prideful or some other bad self centered thing. We don't think of it as being bad.. we just feel like kids with new toys and want to show them to people we're close to.

Guess that's how Joseph felt, but we know how that turned out huh? LOL Hey but theres good news in that story.. God eventually tunred Joseph's mistake into something good! YEAH!

Ya'll take care!
Jen

Jen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top