Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newleaf

Older family member drinking too much

He claims faith in Jesus and goes to the Catholic church every Sunday and drinks heavily at night and weekends. This is damaging to the nonbelieves in my family.
Am wondeing if I need to say anything to him? Behavior has gone on 30 plus years.

your words would be destructive.
your prayers will be fruitfull.

but dont get to caught up on his drinking, there are many sins.
some hidden, some not

Justblueskies...
I hope you don't take offense to what I'm about to say because that's not how it is given.

Non-believers, sometimes not all, will find the faults of others who say they are believers to NOT believe. There is nothing you can do about this family member who drinks heavily. He has to give an account for his life to God just as those who are watching his behavior and choosing to continue in unbelieve because of what they see from "flesh".

Yes, we as children of God MUST represent holiness and righteousness so that people will see Christ in us. If this family member is not doing so, then they should not pattern believers after him. They choose to watch his behavior and decide not to believe rather than watch yours and decide to believe and want to get to know the God you serve.

For every saved person who is not living upright and pure before the Lord, there is MORE than one who IS! Just pray for him that God will deliver him from his addiction and You continue to live a life pleasing unto God. Who knows...you might just be the vessel God uses to deliver him.

Most people drink alcohol because it makes them feel better, perhaps he doesn't feel fulfilled in some areas in his life so he drinks to make himself feel better or perhaps that is his way of dealing with stresses in life. Perhaps you can pick out a pattern to his drinking to find out the cause of it. Does he drink immediately after work? If so that could be the way he unwinds or relax and if that is the case getting him involved in activities that will help him to unwind safely may help. For e.g find out his hobbies for e.g gardening, or introduce him to new ones. Some people also have gotten so use to drinking that they simply find it extremely hard to stop.