Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linda Irish

DID I DO THE RIGHT THING....TELL ME

Doing The Right Thing.....It's A God Thing

I know that my husband says that even in stressful situations I try to make the right choices and do the right thing. It's a part of who I am. I try to consider the welfare of others in my decision making. I also believe he thinks I act irrationally when I am under stress sometimes. Which I do...(like when one of my boys would come home with a cut lip...I have been known to hit the other kid on the head for no reason...before I even know what happened. I don't think straight when blood is involved.....
But as far as making the right choices...under stress, I did have a situation a few years ago where I had never met any of my previous husbands family. I was rather nervous and a little self conscious about meeting them all that day, at the grandfather’s funeral.....
It was a sad day, the whole family was gathered together on the front lawn of one of the relatives...they were still visiting, until signaled to head over to the graveside services.....
I was prepared for a spring rain..I had my umbrella and was thankful when one of the Uncles suggested that I go and sit with grandma...the widow, and keep her company until it was time to head out..Grandma could'nt hear very well, she was sitting quietly in her sisters brand new Cadillac. It was at the very top of a steep wide driveway that headed straight in to traffic. I sat in the backseat and carried on small talk with grandma...until suddenly I realized, Oh My God...the car was rolling down the hill. In that split of a second I had a major decision to make.....Shall I jump out of my open door and let the car go careening into dangerous traffic with grandma still in it? Or shall I (remember I am wearing a dress and nylons) shall I dive over the seat...(that seems very high to me just then) and hit the brake with my hand..and risk my dignity...for the sake of grandmas safety? ....
Remember this decision is made in a millisecond.... and I decide, yes, yes...I will throw caution to the wind and I will Go for it and I dive over the seat...and my umbrella gets caught in my nylons ...tearing up the nylons and cutting my leg and my face is smashed into the horn that is blaring as I flail about trying to reach the break with my hand...and my legs are flailing about....
wretched and bloody in this compromising undignified way with the umbrella still tangled in my hose and grandma can't see or hear very well and she is saying "Oh my, Oh my" because she doesn’t know what the Heck is going on........
but I did it!!!! I stopped the car...I saved grandma...I am holding down the brake...the horn is still blasting but we are safe.......
and then the faces of all the family members come around us...they are surrounding the car and they are horrified...some angry. My husband says "What in the Hell are you doing?".....and that is when the horrific reality hits me....that we were not rolling down the hill....we were never rolling down the hill.....the car next to us was just pulling in....making us feel like we were rolling down the hill.....

Edit

Remove

I am learning that God sees our heart...doing the right thing doesn't always make us look like a hero to the world. Even though I was embarrassed and felt horrible that I was misunderstood and judged .that day.......I can laugh at it now, and I know that doing the right thing, is pleasing to God...always.

I'm sorry Linda...I was confused at whether this was a real story or not. It was written as if it was a story and not a real life experience. Sorry for not takint it seriously...

Thats ok Cholette...I wonder how I would go about making it less story like...It was a humiliating moment in my life...but "all things work togther for good for those who love the lord and are called together for His purpose...." Thank God!!!

Linda -

I share in your humiliation... :blushing: Several years ago, my former husband and I were on a road trip from CT to PA. I was driving on this leg of the trip and we were approaching a toll booth plaza. Traffic was very heavy, stop and go. It was getting to be time for a check up on the car but I had been putting it off. While we were stopped, I noticed that the car was moving. I pressed harder on the brake but no avail, we kept moving. I so don't want to crash into the car in back of me and am wondering if I made that last insurance payment before I left so I'm freaking out pumping the brakes, shouting out expletives (I wasn't saved yet), warning my then husband we were going to crash, and bracing myself for the impact. He looked at me weird and shouted "What is your problem???!!!! We're not moving!!!!!!!"

what

Turns out the cars beside us were moving, giving the illusion that our car was moving...

Oh.

:blushing:

Never mind.

I do hope in your case Linda that at the end of it all, someone recognized you for your compassion and quick thinking...

, I am soooooo sorry!! I actually thought you were just sharing this. I kinda felt it was a real life experience but it never crossed my mind that you felt so deeply about it.

I think we all have those stories; I was oh, maybe 11 or so, the time when you want to dress older but still a kid. Anyhoot, this was Easter Sunday and my mom would have the whole family get dressed up in fancy clothing. This was the 1st time I was going to wear pantyhose, but didn't want to, anyway, I was running be hind and had to hurry, not liking the dress I had to wear and rushing to put these nylons on. We get to the banquet hall I'm trailing behind a bit and I notice everyone starring at me, mind we are walking in a long entrance and tons of people are there as they are all waiting for there table. Finally an older gentlemen walks up and tells my mom my dress in tucked in the back of the nylons. I was so crushed and embarrassed. At this age you think your grown, though your not, and no one said anything but an older gentlemen. His kindness was greatly appreciated by me an my family. However, that moment scared me , whenever I wear a dress or skirt I check like 100 times to make sure the back of the dress or skirt isn't tucked into anything. No there was no huge revelation, just thought I would share my most embarrassing moment.

Poor thing :0)..... thank God that we can find joy in those stories now...all that suffering was not done in vain. These days just thinking about it can give us strength for the day!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!The Joy of the Lord is my Strength !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!