Marriage Preparation/ What Constitutes Marriage (God's Way)?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Marriage Preparation/ What Constitutes Marriage (God's Way)?

Post by lola21st on Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:46 pm

I'm so in love with God...sometimes I wonder, if I am to love my husband like this, he might think I'm obsessed.

And the beauty of it is finding a man who loves God in the same way you described and then loves YOU with the same intensity with which Christ loved the church...woohoo!! lol!

Regarding the faith issue, I agree that it really comes down to Matthew 6:33, and it's also about submission. We were bought at a price, our lives are not our own. We are servants of the Most High and are called according to HIS purpose, not our purpose (Romans 8:28). We are predestined to accomplish something that HE designed for us from the beginning of time. (Ephesians 2:10 - For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.) (Psalm 139:16 - Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them.)

We prosper NOT when we get the car, house, clothes, etc. that prosperity preachers preach on (I feel sorry for them because their vision of God is shortsighted and small IMHO), we prosper when our lives are fully aligned with what God has purposed us for. And to get to that point where we know our purpose, we have to spend time with Him, seeking a relationship with Him so that we can understand His ways and so that we can understand Him and fellowship with Him. Just "be" with him. Like friends on the phone or in the same room who don't speak for an hour but it's cool because you're just enjoying each other's presence.

We prosper when we have an intimate relationship with the Lord and really allow Him to be Lord over our lives. Many of us accept Jesus as our personal savior but don't really submit so that He can be Lord over us, or at least not submit ALL areas of our lives to Him. (Not suggesting that this is an easy thing to do by the way...
bandaid ) Until recently, I really felt there was one area of my life that I could handle on my own, Him being so busy with other peoples' issues and all (wink, wink), SURELY He would understand my intention to 'help' Him by just working this issue out on my own....yes, the river of Denial ran deep! lol! I have since humbled myself in this area and have submitted it to Him and have more peace over the situation and have seen Him work the situation in ways I could never (what was I thinking???). praiseGod

When we allow the Lord to really be Lord over our lives, we reach that level of peace that transcends all understanding. As Paul told the Philippians, we learn to be content in whatever the circumstance, regardless of whether we're in a period of plenty or a period of want. Because we know that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. And because we know that our God supplies ALL of our needs through His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

And then our focus shifts from what God can do for us to what we can do to serve Him and further His kingdom. When we successfully accomplish this mindset shift, everything we do is in lockstep with God's will and purpose for our lives. When we focus on Him not for what He can do but simply for who He is, when we delight ourselves in the Lord, He gives us the desires of our heart.(Psalm 37:4)

When we are operating in this manner, I think it's appropriate to believe God for something because that something was placed in your heart by Him. We aren't taking the "I Dream of Jeannie" approach to worship (I've been there too), we just want all that He has in store for us and none of what He doesn't want for us. As Cholette stated, the whole thing is about motives. When our motives aren't right, He'll let us know and we'll know as we're making the request.

Understanding our motives when selecting a mate (or even considering marriage) are critical. I'll come back to this thread soon with more...which may cause 'scope creep' but I think in the end we'll all be blessed by the discussion....

Last edited by lola21st on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Desiree (Starpop) on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:02 pm

First of all I have to say that I am truly "blown away" by the powerful women of God responses here!! Cholette, I totally agree with what you said about motives. My motives were totally wrong when it came to asking for things in the past but as mentioned: I've grown so much and am past that PRAISE GOD!!

Lola, you couldn't of said what you said more beautifully! You too Celestial.butterfly! (and by the way, I LOVES Me some Myles Munroe as well!!) If you want to, I have another great book that you might be interested in reading (just email me if you like for the information).

You guys are so lovely--I mean it! Lets just not "settle for less" and keep pressing towards the mark knowing that all things will work out for us in the end (Romans 8:38-which is now my favorite scripture! lol! :clap:

Smooches galore

Desiree (Starpop)
Supporting Member/Moderator
Supporting Member/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by celestial.butterfly on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:45 am

Yeah, me too, Starpop. I've been blown away by the responses.

Okay, so I have an experience to share...embrace yourselves...

Saturday night I tossed and turned in my sleep the whole night. I woke up at 4:28 a.m. and I was like-- "God do you want me to spend time with you?" Something said, "Read the story of Ruth and Boaz." But I just turned over and went right back to sleep.

I was awakened again in the morning before my alarm clock went off and I heard, "Read the story of Ruth and Boaz." So I got up and went and read the book of Ruth. After I was finished I was like, "Okay, how is this applicable to my life?"

I prayed about it. I went to church and still was trying to "get it."
When I returned home from church, I read the book of Ruth again. I still didn't get it, so I prayed again. Finally I left it alone.

This morning I was talking to a friend and I mentioned it to him. I told him that I understand the story, but I don't get how it is applicable to my life. So my friend explains (I'm summarizing as brief as I can)...Ruth's faithfulness to Naomi led her to a great reward. Ruth could have easily returned to her family like the other daughter-in law, but she wanted to remain loyal to Naomi. She was obedient and chose to serve the same God as Naomi. In the beginning, she lost her husband, but God rewarded her with Boaz because her act of faithfulness and obedience. Her obedience was so significant that God lined her up in the lineage of Jesus.

After my friend explained, he was unsure of what context this fit into my life. He was like is there something that God is asking to you to do in obedience and faithfulness?

I do know and his explanation was my confimation.

Just thought I'd share.

Oh yeah, I don't believe in coincindences, but I'm taken by this-
Saturday night I woke up at 4:28 a.m. And last night I woke up at 4:28 a.m. What is up with that?

celestial.butterfly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Don't you love it when that happens?? That happened to me a couple of times...not regarding marriage, but an incident that was happening on my job.

I was awakened three nights in a row to read the story of Esther, Mordecai and Hamen. I read it over and over again and I couldn't figure out if God was trying to get me to look at Esther or at Mordecai and Hamen. Well my former bosses were getting ready to lay me off from my position so the wife could take my position (I didn't know that until AFTER I was told to read the story)...at that point I knew it was Mordecai and Hamen that I was to focus on. I then realized what God was trying to tell me. I can't honestly tell you that even though I read the story and I KNEW what God was telling me that I was always in faith regarding the issue because they treated me as bad as any two Christians could treat someone.

Glory to God, FOUR DAYS before it was supposed to be my last day on the job, both bosses hung on the "gallow" that they had set for me and I'm still working here and they aren't. Ain't God Good?????? I'm not basking in their downfall by any means, because I know what God's word says...

Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles; Proverbs 24:17

C.Butterfly...as far as the times you were awakened both nights, I'm not sure what that means. I was told by someone here that times and numbers don't mean anything, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. It's hard to say... flower

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtuous on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:31 pm

I think times and numbers have meaning. Why would measurements (numbers) and times be mentioned in the bible? God is a God of specifics and in certain things (i.e. the ark), He gave specific instructions on the measurements; (i.e. sixth and ninth hours mentioned in Matthew and Acts), there were specific times given...God's time is not like our time.

By the way Cholette...I love the avatar!!!!!!!

Last edited by Virtuous on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)

Virtuous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:36 pm

I think you are absolutely correct Virtuous!!

Thanks for the avatar compliment...we look alike... :giggle:

Do not fight FOR victory, but fight FROM THE PLACE of victory. Jesus has ALREADY won the battle!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by celestial.butterfly on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Don't you love it when that happens??

Yes and No. Yes, because God is speaking to me. And no because I don't always "get it"

I think times and numbers have meaning.

I, too, believe that times and numbers have meaning because times and numbers would not be emphasized in scripture.

Also, I recently had a dream in which I was doing Zumba (Zumba is normally an hour). In the dream we ended at twenty 'til the hour. I waited for 20 minutes in the class area until it was the regular time to leave.

When I woke up, I recorded the dream and for some reason that 20 minute wait was heavy on my heart. I just knew there was significant meaning. This is what I later learned and I was able to bear witness in my spirit:

Twenty- to wait with great expectancy; redemption

• Twenty years Jacob waited to get possession of his wives and property, Genesis 21:38,41.

• Twenty years Israel waited for a deliverer from Jabin's oppression, Judges 4:3.

• Twenty years Israel waited for deliverance through Samson, Judges 15:20, 16:31. But his work was never much more than "begun," Judges 13:25.

• Twenty years the Ark of the Covenant waited at Kirjath-jearim, 1 Samuel 7:2.

• Twenty years Solomon was waiting for the completion of the two houses, 1 Kings 9:10; 2Chronicles 8:1.

There's so many scriptural references that I just know there is significance to times and numbers.

P.S. Now if tonight I awake at 4:28 a.m. then I for sure there's a message from God-- serious.

• celestial.butterfly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:57 am

I decided to resurrect this forum because I heard something that is in line with this topic that I think you ladies would appreciate (if you haven't heard it before).

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that the man who is trying to get her heart, has to seek God in order to find it."
    I just had to lift my hands on this one...God is so good!!!! Here's my heart Lord...TAKE IT!!!!!!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtuous on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:14 am

Cholette,
    Yea, I've heard this before and it sounds better every time I hear it.

Look on the first page of this thread in my first post. It's there too!

Virtuous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:21 am

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that the man who is trying to get her heart, has to seek God in order to find it."

Wow, my heart leaped upon reading that... ...between this and the reference yesterday to Esther 2:14 I got the confirmation I was seeking...

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:47 am

Praise the Lord!!!! My heart leaped too Lurdy's.

V...I looked to see if it was mentioned here because I remembere us discussing about us being hidden in God. I must have overlooked it when searching. The Lord is GOOOOOOD!!

Do not fight FOR victory, but fight FROM THE PLACE of victory. Jesus has ALREADY won the battle!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtuous on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:54 am

You know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Virtuous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LovetoworshipJesus on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:26 pm

I Like this!! gave me a smile

LovetoworshipJesus
    Mighty Member
    Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:36 pm

Ohhh Lola, I love what you said. I quite agree by the by.

Love in Jesus,

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top