Prophet or seer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Prophet or seer

Post by DinaDavis on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:46 pm

I always thought prophet and seers were the same thing; but recently i read a verse in the old testament that put prophets and seers in the same verse. I was told prophets can be seers but most seers are not prophets.
Does anyone have any info on this subject?

DinaDavis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Prophet or seer

Post by dreamster on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:12 pm

perhaps one sees,,the other speaks,,,pikture 4 one,,words 4 the other,,prophet mite hacv more authority,,,ill let u ponder,, flower D

a merry heart, does good likea medicene, [ new international dee version,NIDV]

dreamster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluejeankid on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi. This is my understanding of a prophet. A prophet is a speaker who declares the word that God has given to him.

A seer literally means to see visions or dreams.

Hope this helps.
BJK

bluejeankid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySoulflower on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:54 pm

So I was reading on the main site how dreams/visions can be just for ourselves or it could be along the lines of the seer/prophet track. I by no means think I am gifted as a prophet (despite what those "inventories" say at times), but I frequently have dreams & visions. I sometimes have a hard time telling what's being spoken to me vs. what's just a random crazy dream, but God is generally pretty good about bugging me when I need to pay attention. oldguy

Anyhoo, when I first got saved, I could "see" the condition of people's hearts. Many were on fire (in a bad way), others were burdened down & gray, and the hearts of Christians had a calm glow. I got SO scared (there were so many burning hearts all around me!) that I asked God to shield me from being able to see like that. I was really persistent about it, but He let me see for at least a couple of weeks. Not long after that (during?), I would be out minding my business & see a scary cartoon-like creature jump out at me from time to time (usually in conjunction with flash of me getting hit by a speeding car as I crossed the street).

The woman who I'd asked to disciple me at the time told me that I was seeing the spiritual realm, which included the bad and the good. She told me that I could see the demons about & that Satan was upset with me, etc. Those experiences lasted probably no more than a month (?).

THEN, during morning prayer group, I would once in a while see & feel a bright light over my right shoulder. I don't recall having many visions, but I do remember expressing one that I saw about one of the girls in the group. Turns out to be related to something she'd been praying about doing after graduating college. I also had a bunch of dreams about tornadoes and a couple of dreams about our the Body on our campus. Things got pretty quiet after things got weird on campus (long story).

A few years later, I woke up to a very frightening presence & I remember seeing glowing eyes peering through my blinds. I went into worship & soon enough I saw angels with flaming swords fighting off the creatures at my window. I've also experienced sleep paresis on several occasions. Since then, things have been pretty quiet, until now.

I've had a couple of people tell me I was expressing the gift of prophecy, but that has never felt right to me. The idea of seer being different is new to me, so I really don't know what's what. Now that my dreams seem to be ramping up again (albeit about myself), I'd really like to gain a better understanding. I go to God about it, of course, but I know He has also encouraged us to seek wise counsel, so I'm putting the inquiry out there.

Thanks in advance!

LadySoulflower

View user profile http://www.amandamjones.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bluejeankid on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:37 am

:HiBye: Really try reading that book that I pm to you. I think it will really help.

Blessings,
BJK

bluejeankid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadySoulflower on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:50 pm

I'll be on the lookout. Interestingly enough today, one of my students called me a "sicológica" (She's Bolivian. When she couldn't come up with the English word, I told her to say it in Spanish.) I thought I understood what she meant, but I also asked her to describe what it means. She said, "You're one of those people who can read other people's eyes." This conversation came about during her academic planning & I asked her if she wrote poetry. It was really just a matter of the way she spoke that sounded so poetic. In the end, I was apparently right on the mark, which is when she made the comment. Made me chuckle on the inside.

LadySoulflower

View user profile http://www.amandamjones.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:27 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top