Wisdom, Understanding, and Prophecy vs. Logic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wisdom, Understanding, and Prophecy vs. Logic

Post by daphanie02 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:20 pm

This teaching goes hand in hand with Mia's teaching "Is there such thing as an Interpreter?"
I felt it necessary to clarify that human logic is very different from the gifts of God.

1.Wisdom and Understanding come from God and are gifts to the righteous.

Job 28:12 “ But where can wisdom be found? Where does understanding dwell? Man does not comprehend its worth; it cannot be found in the land of the living. The deep says, ‘It is not in me’; It cannot be bought with the finest gold, nor can its price be weighed in silver. It cannot be bought with the gold of Ophir, with precious onyx or sapphires. Neither gold nor crystal can compare with it, nor can it be had for jewels of gold. Coral and jasper are not worthy of mention; the price of wisdom is beyond rubies. The topaz of Cush cannot compare with it; it cannot be bought with pure gold.
Where then does wisdom come from? Where does understanding dwell? It is hidden from the eyes of every living thing, concealed even from the birds of the air. Destruction and Death say, ‘Only a rumor of it has reached our ears.’ God understands the way to it and He alone knows where it dwells, for He views the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens. When He established the force of the wind and measured out the waters, when he made a decree for the rain and a path for the thunderstorm, then he looked at wisdom and appraised it; he confirmed it and tested it. And he said to man, ‘The fear of the Lord-that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding.”

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” (Proverbs 9:10)

To live a righteous life and to put Gods Word into practice is understanding. When you choose to be wise by first fearing God, you then gain understanding by putting God’s Word into practice. Proverbs 8 says that wisdom and understanding dwell together with prudence and righteousness. All understanding belongs to God, if you ask Him, He will impart this gift to you.

Deuteronomy 4:5 says: “See I have taught you decrees and laws as the Lord my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear all these decrees and say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.’ What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to Him? And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting for you today?”

2. Understanding also comes to those who have experience.

Job 12:12 says: “Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?”
In my opinion, wisdom and understanding are gained when we learn from our mistakes and stop living by our own desires, follow Gods will, and submit to His instruction. Understanding and Wisdom are gained when we repent and chase after God.
A good biblical example would be found in the book of Jonah when the city of Ninevah repented and worshiped God. They were wise to fear Him and gained understanding when they chose to turn from their rebellious ways to serve Him.

3. Obedience and close relationship to God + the Holy Spirit operating in your life = a wise, person with understanding.

It is natural for us to not be able to understand parables. We are made of flesh and were not born sanctified and washed by the blood of the Lamb. I have a friend who said he was saved while reading the Word of God. He was into the New Testament and suddenly he could understand all kinds of parables when the Holy Spirit fell on him. He then believed in Jesus and knew he was saved. God had imparted understanding to my friend while he was earnestly seeking the Lord.

Dreams are often parables.

When I read the bible, there are still some parables I do not understand and I have to ask the Lord what He meant by what He said. There are some that are pretty simple, that seem almost easy to understand. But then there are others we need help understanding by praying and waiting on the Lord. Ultimately, no matter how simple the parable is, it is the Holy Spirit that gives us the understanding. When Jesus spoke to the people and his disciples in parables, they did not understand. They didn’t have the Holy Spirit operating in their lives yet and the Lord had to interpret his messages because there was no one who understood. I say interpretation because it was the Lord speaking and, in turn, prophecy. I will talk more about that later. However, there were people in the Old Testament who God chose to give the gift of understanding to (Solomon being one of them. 1 Kings 4:29) And the prophets of old were proof that the Holy Spirit spoke back then as well.

Let’s take a look at Daniel and Joseph.

Daniel was an upright man of faith. The bible says he could understand dreams and visions of all kinds. (Daniel 1:17)

When he went to king Nebuchadnezzar to give the interpretation of the dream he had, king Neb asked him “Are you able to tell me what I saw in my dream and interpret it?”

“Daniel replied, ‘No wise man, enchanter, magician or diviner can explain to the king the mystery he has asked about, but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries. He has shown king Nebuchadnezzar what will happen in days to come.”
(Daniel 2:26-28)

Joseph was also gifted with understanding. He was a righteous man and when asked to interpret a dream, he replied: “do not all interpretations belong to God?” (Genesis 40: 8)

Genesis 41:15 “Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I had a dream, and no one can interpret it. But I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it.”

“I cannot do it,” Joseph replied to pharaoh, “but God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires.”

Both men knew it was not themselves doing the interpreting; they recognized that dreams and interpretations along with understanding belong to God. God gets the credit. It is God that holds the key to understanding and we are able to obtain it when our hearts are right with Him.

4. Understanding is not the same as logic.

Certainly there are dreams and visions that leave us greatly perplexed. But if we try and figure them out with just our minds, is that not using mere human logic despite all the symbolism we may have an understanding of?

The American Heritage Dictionary defines the word logic as “a system of reasoning.”
The definition of the word reasoning is described as “the mental processes of one who reasons; especially, the drawing of conclusions or inferences from observation, facts, or hypothesis. The definition of hypothesis is “a premise from which a conclusion is drawn.” And what do you suppose premise means? A proposition which is in turn defined as “a plan or scheme suggested for acceptance.”

One persons reasoning may not agree with others, hypothesis’ can always be disproven, and propositions will always be what they are…a man’s own mental, fleshly, logical idea. Even though from time to time we may have good ideas, it is against God’s will for us to depend on them as quintessential messages from Him.

If we have God given understanding, we won’t ever need to rely on logic or try and “figure” a dream out. The interpretation and full understanding can be gained if we only reach out to the Giver and Teacher of all things good and Holy, and ask.

Just because we have understanding of symbols, and knowledge of all kinds of dreams, does not mean we will be able to give a full interpretation every time. Understanding and interpretation are not always the same thing. Even though Daniel had the gift of understanding, he still needed an interpretation from the Lord. There were times he prayed fervently and fasted until he received the prophecy (interpretation) from God.

2 Peter 1:20 says: “Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophets own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” This leads me to believe that interpretation is prophecy and when Daniel was providing an interpretation, he was speaking Gods word as the Holy Spirit enabled him to.

This bible study gave me a better knowledge of Godly wisdom and understanding. I know the next time I sit down to “interpret” dreams I will know whether or not they are my thoughts (logic), God given understanding, or a prophetic interpretation. I hope you found this an easy and enlightening read.
Blessings and love in abundance to you all,
Laura Boaz

Job 12:13 “To God belong wisdom and power; counsel and understanding are His.”

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wisdom, Understanding, and Prophecy vs. Logic

Post by Desiree (Starpop) on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:42 am

Great words of wisdom Daph! Thanks for posting!! All understanding and wisdom comes from HIM alone!!!
smooches
desiree

Desiree (Starpop)
Supporting Member/Moderator
Supporting Member/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trump on Sat May 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Hello,

I would agree with you, "Understanding is not the same as logic."

So this means they are different, so how can they be compared?

These are the three Laws of Logic:

1. The law of non-contradiction
  2. The law of identity
  3. The law of excluded middle

You may assume that logic favors secularism but you would be
incorrect, they favor the Christian worldview. There is a big debate amongst
Atheists and Christian Apologists at present and the Christian are winning
because logic favors Christianity.

Logic is very important in apologetics. To defend the faith,
the Christian must use truth, facts, and reason appropriately and prayerfully.
This is something Paul did in Acts 17:17 when he reasoned with the Jews. The
Christian should listen to objections and make cogent and rational comments in
direct response to the issues raised.

Logic is simply another tool in the arsenal of Christian
apologetics. Logic is a system of reasoning. It is the principles of proper
thinking used to arrive at correct conclusions. Of course, some people are better
at thinking logically than others and there is no guarantee that using logic to
the best of one's ability will bring conversion of anyone. After all, logic is
not what saves a person. Jesus does that and we are justified by faith (Rom. 5:1), not
by logic. But, we are told to give a defense for the faith and this involves
truthful presentations wedded with reasonable arguments.

Therefore, the proper use of logic in apologetics is to
remove intellectual barriers that hinder a person from accepting Jesus as
Savior. Logic is not to be looked at as the answer to every problem facing Christianity
or every objection rose. Logic has its limits. It cannot guarantee wisdom. It
cannot prove or disprove inspiration or love. It cannot replace the intuition
gained through experience, the prompting of the Holy Spirit, nor the clear
truth of God's word. Nevertheless, logic is still valuable and can be quite
powerfully used by people both the saved and unsaved.

All logic is, is a way of grounding reasoning in Truth. I think that logic reflects God's character.

Blesssings
Trump

Trump

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Helpful

Post by Kellyjo on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:58 am

Hi
I am new here. I am Kelly Jo.
I appreciated this informative article on dreams and how God Himself gives us the understanding.
It was calming and reassuring. Grounded in His word and with a broad foundation. Thank you.

Kellyjo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top