Manipulative tithing message...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Manipulative tithing message...

Post by Shan on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:30 am

I dreamt last night that my mom and I were at a big outdoor revival of such where a prominent televangelist had been hired to preach a sermon on tithing by this large church. This televangelist is well known IRL and he didn't represent himself in the dream, but represented those who are prominent members in the Christian community that are heavy-handed at getting people to give to their causes. The meeting was held in the middle of a large, very poor community and they were predominantly Hispanic. Instead of it being a gated community, it had a large chain-length fence around it. The meeting was to inspire the wealthy, upper-class members of the church to give to this community. The people of the poor community basically worshiped this evangelist and the church as they were dependent on them for their survival.

As I walked through this community, some of the people were closing their shops for the day and sweeping the sidewalks. The shops and sidewalks were of poor quality, but the people took care of what they had. I felt sorry for them and wanted to help them.

When the evangelist began to preach, I was very disturbed at what he said about tithing. I could tell he was being manipulative and putting on a show for all to see. He quoted a few verses on tithing then handed the microphone to his wife who began to put on a show as well, while speaking in tongues. Although her tongues were real and she was just doing what she knew to do, it was done in order to show the people that the spirit was moving which "authenticated" the tithing message. I began to get upset and I turned to my mom and said, "He  hasn't preached at all." I thought the people were hungry for the Word and that this was just a bunch of mush. Then he quoted an assistant pastor at my church whom I love. He had his name on a big screen with this quote taken out of context, which basically slammed him. He alluded to the fact that some people believe that tithing is not for New Testament believers and instead believe that they are supposed to simply give whatever and whenever the Lord tells them to give.

After the meeting was over, I somehow ran into the evangelist and I calmly and respectfully confronted him on what he said about my pastor. His face became sullen and he was humbled. He shook his head at himself because he realized he was wrong and never in a million years did he think there would be someone there who knew this man, because he is not widely known. He said, "I am so sorry." I could tell that he meant it. I was able to see that this man loved the Lord and wanted to do His will, but was operating in error in this one area. I was able to forgive him.

EOD. Thoughts?

Shan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Manipulative tithing message...

Post by True Flight on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:33 am

There is so much of this that sounds like the immigration law their pushing.
I wonder if your seeing a change in direction of our politicians, the president in particular.
Just my thoughts.
I have a lot of political dreams.

True Flight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shan on Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that, but it very well could be immigration or the redistribution of wealth idea.

Thanks!

Shan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top