Gypsy symbolism?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gypsy symbolism?

Post by RnestseekR on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:06 pm

Does anyone have some ideas about what a gypsy may represent in a dream? I had always thought of gypsies as bad/off color. But in one dream, a woman who was the owner of a tavern/resturant, left me with the impression of being a gypsy, gave me information/prophesy, which is turning out to be true. SO, can gypsies ever be good? I have had one other dream - 9 months ago in which there was a gypsy. The Lamb had come and given us both instructions to run and take nothing with us. The gypsy who was running next to me insisted on taking her cast iron pan for boiling water. I reminded her of the Lamb's instructions. She disregarded me. At the very end of the dream, I actually turned in to the gypsy. I had not given much thought to that dream until the impression of that resturant/tavern owner being a gypsy. Even then, I brushed it off as being NOT a divinely given dream because of the gypsy. But as I said, the information given in the dream is turning out to be true.

I know nothing about gypsies. It seems though that they may have some Jewish connection???? I don't know.

RnestseekR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gypsy symbolism?

Post by RnestseekR on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:26 pm

Sorry - in doing some internet research on gypsies, realized that the only Jewish connection was from WWII when both groups went through genocide in large numbers.

RnestseekR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daughterofgod1023 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:15 pm

when you speak gypsy what comes to your mind?
Because gypsies are known for fortune tellers. Tarot cards, spells, crystal balls, etc.....which is witchcraft and it is not of God...be careful and take all things to the Lord and seek His counsel pertaining to this dream and gypsies...

daughterofgod1023

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:23 am

Last edited by butterfly on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

butterfly
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RnestseekR on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:49 pm

I may have not been clear. The gypsy in both circumstances was in a dream. I've never met a real gypsy. I did have the stereotype that gypsies were the tarrot cards, etc. But in the dream, the only impression I got was that she was a "traveler" or "nomad". So, I had dismissed both dreams and not paid any heed to them, until the information relayed in the second of the two dreams is becoming true.
To repeat, the information given to me was not from a real live person, but in a dream.

RnestseekR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:14 pm

This is the wikpedia definition of gypsy.

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) states that a gypsy is a "member of a wandering race (by themselves called Romany), of Hindu origin, which first appeared in England about the beginning of the 16th c. and was then believed to have come from Egypt". The OED records the first usage of the word in English as 1514, with several more in the same century, and that both Edmund Spenser and William Shakespeare used the word.[1]
The word derives from the word for "Egyptian" in Latin, the same as the Spanish Gitano or the French Gitan. It emerged in Europe, in the 15th century, after their migration into the land of the Romani people (or Roma) in that continent.[2] They received this name from the local people either because they spread in Europe from an area named Little Egypt, in Southern Balkans or because they fitted the European image of dark-skinned Egyptians skilled in witchcraft. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries it was written in various ways: Egipcian, Egypcian, 'gipcian, 'gypcian.[3] As the time elapsed, the notion of Gypsy evolved including other stereotypes, like nomadism, exoticism.[4]

English law

Gypsy has several different and overlapping meanings under English Law. Under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 Gypsies are defined as "persons of nomadic habit of life, whatever their race or origin, but does not include members of an organised group of travelling showmen, or persons engaged in travelling circuses, travelling together as such.",[5] this definition includes such groups as New Age Travellers, as well as Irish Travellers and Romany.[6][7]
Gypsies of Romany origins have been a recognised ethnic group for the purposes of Race Relations Act 1976 since CRE V Dutton 1998 and Irish Travellers in England and Wales since O'Leary v Allied Domecq 2000 (having already gained recognition in Northern Ireland in 1997)

I pray this is of help to you.

God bless and Love in Jesus,

Connie :cmere:

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RnestseekR on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Butterfly,
Thank you for your thoughts. I was not needing an interpretation of the dream. I left a lot out of it because all I needed to know was if there was anything else about gypsies, besides the information I had relayed above.
I was not in rebellion in the dream. I was doing exactly as the Lamb had said and was running. She was running alongside me. But she was trying to run with her cooking pot. That's not what the Lamb said to do - and it concerned me to look over at her trying to run alongside me - not doing what she was told to do. In the last scene of the dream, I became/transposed into the gypsy and entered a cathedral where I was following angelic voices in order to find sactuary in God.
So I appreciate your thoughts and warnings, but I had not given you all the facts from the dream, because I have spent time in prayer over the dream already.
I am human, indeed, I rebel against God in so many ways. But there is no witchcraft in my life. My closest friends and family are all committed christians. The thought that these 2 dreams are occult in nature, of course, had already crossed my mind. But the reality of that in my life is SO far-fecthed. Not that I couldn't come into contact w/ someone involved in the occult, but just that that is HIGHLY unlikely.
So, that's why I am needing help. Why else would a gypsy be in 2 of my dreams? I don't watch much TV - and if I do it's sommething like "What not to wear" or something on HGTV like House Hunters. If I watch a movie, it's a sappy chick-flick. I listen to christian radio. So, again, where would a gypsy come from - and twice.
One other thing, I was in prayer over a matter when I fell asleep and had the second dream. In the dream, the gypsy/resturant owner gave the answer to the thing I had been praying about. Until this week, I disregarded the dream. But now that the information given to me is proving (despite all physical evidence and possibility) to be true, I am now re-evaluating the dream. There isn't much else to the dream. It was short and to the point. So I don't know that there's anything else to learn from it.

RnestseekR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Last edited by butterfly on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

butterfly
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RnestseekR on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:11 pm

Don't be dejected Butterfly. I do appreciate your thoughts. It's always good to be reminded to "be aware". It just wasn't quite right. Don't stop being who God has called you to be. Are we "good"?

RnestseekR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RnestseekR on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:52 pm

For the aid of others who may read this string: DoveSolutions has helped me figure out that the gypsy in my second dream (and I beleive in my first dream as well) represents a nomadic spirit, or a wondering person. That fits exactly with the situation I was praying about and how I need to aim my future prayers. Thank you again Dove Solutions!!! This revelation rings true to my spirit. Thank you for the other posts as well. They didn't fit this time around, but if we do not cultivate an environment in this forum where people can express their thoughts, they will not continue to explore or share.

RnestseekR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:02 am

Last edited by butterfly on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

butterfly
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gipsies in the dream

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:24 am

I did dream about Gypsies too, long time ago before I was going to make an important decision in my life . and like you it turned to be true as the dream fortold.
Only to find out later
that when such a figure appears in your dreams is not God communicating with you .
Let the Holy Gosh be the one that bring you the answer trought Jesus .anything else will come from the enemy to hinder your destiny.
Faith is the key to sucess.

Back to top Go down

Post by RnestseekR on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:51 am

MBstudent: While it may have been true in your situation, that when a gypsy appeared in your dream it was not a God-given dream, in my case, it was. The gypsy in both these dreams, was not a gypsy like the fortune-tellers. No crystal balls, no palm reading. As I stated above, the gypsy was more of the "ethnic classification" type and "the wondering person" fit exactly with how we needed to be praying and brought about peace and love in my heart for the person I was praying for because I could better understand her "point of view" and pray against/for that. Ultimately, she was taken home to be with Jesus - exactly as foretold in the dream. For someone who had not had a home to call her own in 5 years, she is permanently home with Jesus. How beautiful is that?
MB, I appreciate your admonishment to allow the Holy Ghost to be my guide. I declare to you that He is! I was initally bothered very much the appearance of a gypsy in my dream as I would have thought also, that this would be something counterfeit from the enemy. In your case, it seems that it was. I MP'd w/ Dove Solutions because I was so bothered by it. Did you know that gypsies were originally NOT the palm-readers and tarro card readers that we associate them with today? Originally, it was an ethnic category of people who were nomadic. This is what I saw in the dream. The person herself was dressed in jeans and a sweater in the second dream. So she may not have actually been a gypsy, it was just the impression that was laid on my heart. And when I dug a little further into the symbolism, I was able to move past the inital steotype and dig deeper. To me, it's like when someone initially dreams of something very foul sexually. How is that God would send a dream like that? Because He may (but not always) be trying to make a parallel to something else in our life. It expresses that when I do this (act/sin), it's like this (whatever repulsive image we see in the dream) to Him. Or, there was a dream posted on the website, where a woman dreaming of a demon-beast raping an innocent teen. God was trying to warn her of a sin that was working through the youth group. It wasn't a sexual sin, but it was something that was taking away their innocence in a swift, powerful way. Does this make sense to you?

RnestseekR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top