Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyonFire 217

Secular Music

Does God ever speak to you through portions of secular music?

Generally, when He does in my life, it's right before I'm fully awake in the morning. I don't intentionally listen to secular music. Can't avoid it in stores, movies etc. Anyway, sometimes God speaks to me through PORTIONS of secular music. Old music. Like once He told me "Stop in the name of love, before you break My heart" - Supremes I think. I got the message and repented/straightened up.

Another time He told me, "there's something 'bout your love, that makes me weak and knocks Me off my feet" - Stevie Wonder. See, I told you they were old. Anyway, it's nice to hear Him tell me He likes my love for Him.

Here's a current one. Try not to laugh. In one commercial there's this one lady standing at a keyboard singing "This girl is on fire!" I thought she had a really nice voice and wondered if she was a famous singer or just someone doing a commercial. :-) I asked my kids if they knew who she was if anybody famous. It was Alicia Keyes for those who haven't seen the commercial or heard the song. I still wouldn't recognize her today if I met her on the street. Told ya I don't listen to secular music.Anyway, God spoke to me "This girl is on fire" in regards to something He was/is teaching me. That was so cool!

So, back to the question. Does God or has He ever spoken to you through portions of secular music? I know I'm not the only one.

Hey!!!! Maybe these are musical visions... although I've never heard of such a thing. God can get His point across anyway He chooses. Right? Right.

god hasent spoke to me through secular music but i use non christian music and sing my own lyrics and just listen to the music and ignore the singing sometimes

Just because music isn't filed under the "Christian" genre, it does not mean that God does not enjoy or like that music. It will be obvious which music is not acceptable and which music is acceptable by the over all message it sends... also beware believing that everything you hear under the "Christian" genre is acceptable. We should be more discerning than that (and I think you are). "Christians" are a niche market. Remember that.

That being said, if certain music is good enough for God to speak through to you, then how can you fear the judgment of others regarding the truth?

Of course God speaks to us in many different ways all the time. There is no doubt about it.

I used to think that I was developing multiple personalities(back before I learned that man's science had fouled up defining ailments). The reality is, I eventually learned, that my thoughts are not all my own.

And I haven't seen an end to the number of different ways that these thoughts come across.

Music is easily one of the more common methods of communication. And yes, it is still a special gift; but no, you're not entirely alone. It can be easy to hope "I wonder how special I am!"

When your name is Tarzan, it is easy to have bouts and doubts concerning conformity, anyway.

remeba :jesuspic: :jesusfish: spoke 2 ballem thru his donkey what lol! ,,if it wittnesses 2 u idea then u shud be all ears hee hee

So, back to the question. Has God ever spoken to any of you out there through like a snippit of a secular song? For me, it's always just a snippet just before I wake up. I'd really like to hear from some of those He has, It would be interesting to hear what He said to you. Just trying to carry on a conversation here in the "fellowship" hall.

Sure - I've had secular songs on my heart quite often, typically just as you described where it's just a phrase or a few lines that speak to me. It's usually something that doesn't go away. Like, it'll last for at least a few days. It'll come to mind at work, or I'll wake up each day with that bit running through my mind.

For the past week, just as an example...I keep hearing "When you need me, I'll come running..." which is a repeating phrase in the chorus of a Lou Gramm (of 80's Foreigner) song.

That's cool, white shadow. My snippets/phrases usually last a while too, except for the "Stop in the name of love" one. Only needed to hear that one once! hee hee
For me, it's nice to hear that other's experience the same thing. And also, there just might be someone out there wondering why these thoughts are coming to their mind when they have been trying to avoid "secular" music, and all the while it is FatherGod trying to talk to them.

Many songs inspire me whereas like another poster I can see the spiritual side of it. I don't take it to far though.

For example, Alicia Keys' "No One." I have sang that in talking to the Lord - "No one will get in the way of what I feel for you..." Also, The Impressions - "Keep on Pushing." Especially in the place the Lord has me right now I've got to keep on pushing!

"Now look-a look (look-a look) A-look-a yonder...what's that I see? A great big stone wall stands there ahead of me? But I've got my pride (I replace with Holy Spirit/God/Lord Jesus)...and I'll move the wall aside and keep on pushing! Hallelujah, Hallelujah - Keep on Pushing!"
lol!

God spoke to me through secular songs... breakaway by Kelly Clarkson... when i heard the words, i cried it really did speak to me

then he spoke to me again, in a drm, through this song in my culture which was about a lover who keeps pursuing his Love and then says that HE is with her until the END ( the word used in this song for end meant "The Day of Judgment"...

So yes i do believe he can use anything... even a donkey lol

i faced a very stressful situation recently an was tormented by fear ,,then a old song by evie i herd on comforted me the line ''an he will turn ur sorrow in2 joy, '' an thats wat happened an fear gotta severe boot up the #$%@# ,,,,,,,,,,,, d storys,, tellem 2 ur kids lol!

Interesting thread. Yes I have also had secular songs speak to my heart! God can use even unbelievers to speak to us, if we are open to hear what He is speaking. Music is an amazing tool. For me, music can really motivate and inpire me. I love the song by Goapele, 'Closer to my dreams'. It inspires me to know that even though I dont think there is movement in my circumstances...each day God is getting us closer to our goals.

Its interesting to me as well, even if a song is extremely worldly...oftentimes if you listen with your spirit man, you can hear the heart cry of the world in the message of the song...looking for that true love that only Chirst can give.

I have had the same.....secular music speak to me. I have also had someone I didn't know say something and I knew it was from the Lord. He will use any method possible....Like D said; Using a donkey to speak if necessary.

Love in Jesus,

Connie

I have had God speak to me through secular music. One of the sweetest moments I've ever had with God came through a Billy Joel song.

Yep...a couple of years ago I was driving down the freeway and an OLD song by the Five Stairsteps came on called "ooooh child". The lyrics that spoke to me were

ooooh child, things are gonna get easier, oooooh child things are gonna get brighter

The whole song ministered to me, but those were the main words that BROKE ME DOWN!! It was a "thus saith The Lord" moment.