Chapter Two - Starting Again

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chapter Two - Starting Again

Post by Mia Sherwood on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:01 am

That was the last day that I attended church for years. I ran as far and as fast away from that voice as I possibly could. The very last thing that I ever wanted to do is to make a spectacle of myself. Yelling prophecies from my seat loudly enough for the entire church to hear didn't even register on the 'Making a Spectacle of Myself Chart' because it went so far past anything I could possibly imagine doing to embarass myself. The thought was horrifying to me.

Even thinking of speaking in public brought back memories of the one time that I did and this memory reminded me not to consider ever doing it again. It was not too long before this incident that my husband and I were financially strapped so badly that it looked like we were going to loose everything. Dawn Dell taught me that if you ask God in faith, He will answer. So I promised God I would do better in the future and asked Him to help me out of my mess. Within a week, I received a $5,000 check from a family member who I never spoke to and who had no idea what was going on in my finances. I had lent them money a decade earlier and didn't expect to see any of it again so I was shocked when the check arrived. After we were done paying off all of our bills and tithing ten percent, we had enough left over for a pizza.

When I went to church to tithe, I shared the news with the pastor. He surprised me by calling me up front to 'give my testimony'.

I didn't leave my seat. I didn't have a testimony. I had a check and a whole lot of relief but I definitely did not have a testimony so I just sat there staring at him as though he were speaking Chinese. I didn't move a muscle or even register understanding on my face.

Chuckling, the pastor said, "C'mon up here, Mia. We won't bite."

My heart was pounding, my ears were on fire, and as I walked up the asile I prayed that a hole in the floor would open and swallow me up in it, but up the aisle I went. When I got up to the front the pastor handed me the microphone and I stood there paralyzed. He wanted me to stand there and share, in front of the whole church, but my knees shook so badly I couldn't do it.

I turned to the pastor with desperation in my voice, and said, "I'm sorry but I can' t stand here."

My gazed locked onto the seats in the front row and I quickly sat in the chair closet to me, partially turning in it so that my back wasn't to the church but not so much that I was facing them either. Then, I did what I always do when forced to speak to people, I rushed through the entire story, bouncing back and forth, jumbling the entire story out of order, and I spoke so quickly it was a miracle anyone could understand me.

When it was over, I didn't spend any time waiting for a reaction but I happened to notice as I ran back to my seat that I miraculously must have gotten the story across because as I ran by I couldn't help but notice that everyone was clapping, and laughing, and they all looked genuinely pleased by my traumatized performance. My ears continued to burn for a long time after I returned to my seat. Mainly because I felt like such an idiot. I couldn't speak without babbling and I couldn't even stand at the altar without fear of fainting. The moment the service was over I ran to my car and stayed away from church for a long time after.

Needless to say, I was absolutely convinced that public speaking wasn't for me. I liked giving God glory for His awesomeness but I would rather do it through an anonymous submission to the church newsletter than to ever speak in public again. Even worse than speaking in front of the church would be belting out a message from God from my seat, without the dignity and benefit of standing up front with a microphone. I couldn't bear the thought of speaking in public in a dignified manner, so the thought of doing it from my seat impromptu was on my top ten list of things that I never want to do which is why I was so reluctant to go to church. I felt if I buried my head in the sand I would not be actively disappointing God. I just wouldn't be present to be put in the position where I would disappoint both of us by being a chicken.

But God didn't let me escape His voice, even outside of the church. I found myself in embarassing situations on God's behalf no matter where I was.

One particular summer, my husband's ex-wife wanted to go on vacation but she had no one to stay with my step-children while she was gone. My husband and I lived in Texas at the time and our families lived in Upstate New York. We were on good terms with his ex-wife, Jody, so I thought it would be a perfect opportunity for me to take care of my step-children for a week and then I would be able to spend some time with my family as well.

Along with my step-children, Tommie and Robyn, I was also caring for their step-brother, Orry, and their step-sister, Bitty. In addition to their children, Jody and Jim had a twenty year old boarder staying there as well. And since Tommie and my nephew Drew were close, Drew came with me to spend some time with Tommie.

One night we started talking about God. I asked if they believed in God and most or all of them said, No.

There was an intense urgency and unusual faith inside of me from God, prompting me to take this opportunity to talk to these guys about being born again and to tell them that God would do a miracle for them because time was short.

Before I could change my mind, I blurted out, "Would you believe if He proved to you He was real? Because He will prove it."

The day had been a very dreary, drizzling rainy day. The rain was coming down constantly as I imagined it did during Noah's time, it was a constant, non-stop down pour. The only thing I could think to ask God to do was if He would stop the rain upon request.

So I said, "How about we ask God to stop the rain. Would that do it for you?"

They all nodded very enthusiastically. They were excited about the prospect of God proving He was real.

As we were all going out the back door, God dropped into my heart that I was going to have to scream the request at the top of my lungs. As I look back I can now see He was pushing me to overcome my inhibitions. At the time, I was horrified. At first it was cool to think that I was going to get to be the one who prays for God to do something really cool and to have it happen but now, this was not cool.

Why do I have to look like the village idiot in the middle of all this coolness?

VERY reluctantly, I took a deep breath and, we all looked up at the sky and I yelled at the top of my lungs, "God please stop the rain!"

If someone were measuring, they would probably be able to tell you that as soon as I spoke the words, the rain that had already started to fall, before I spoke, continued to fall but it was if the rain stopped the instant I asked. It continued to rain only for the amount of time it would have taken the rain already on its way down to finish falling. Then, POOF, no more rain.

I was just as amazed as they were. We all stood around saying, Wow! That is so cool!

Knowing that what just happened could be considered a fluke, I said, Let's ask God to start the rain again.

Once again, still embarassed at being required to scream when I knew very well that God could hear me perfectly, I screamed at the top of my voice, "God please start the rain!"

And instantly, again, the rain started.

The amazing part in all this is that the rain hadn't stopped raining all day. It was the kind of rain that doesn't stop. It just keeps raining and raining and raining. The only break in the rain was directly and immediately related to prayer.

"Now. Let's ask Him to stop it again, just so there is no doubt that this was God." They all agreed enthusiastically.

Once again, I screamed at the top of my voice, "God please stop the rain!"

And once again, it was as though the rain that was in mid-fall finished falling and there was no more.

I was truly amazed. This was just absolutely incredible. But it was becoming redundant and I felt in a stirring in my spirit to go for it, so I said, Do you want to ask Him to do something else so there is no doubt left in your mind?

They said, "Yeah! Ask Him for lightening!"

Again, the rain was drizzly. It was not a thunder and lightening storm. It was just an all day drenching rain so having thunder and lightening make a perfectly time entrance would be the icing on the cake.

"Okay, here goes," I said.

To make it even less likely to be discounted as coincidence, I yelled, "God please send thunder and lightening within two minutes!"

I barely had the words out of my mouth and the loudest thunder I ever heard and the biggest streak of lightening went crashing through the entire night sky. The display was so utterly amazing that all of the kids, including the twenty year old, practically broke the sliding screen door down in their haste to get out of Dodge. They were well and truly awed and done messing around.

Once inside, I asked who was ready to give their hearts to God. Three of the five raised their hands and we prayed the sinners prayer together. I later understood the urgency. That night, Orry was one of those that received Christ. A few years later he died from massive head injuries after a fall from a car. I shudder to think what would have happened if I didn't act on the stirring in my heart and God's prompting. When I heard that Orry died, I took comfort that I didn't do the comfortable thing, instead I submitted to God's urgent leading to minister to the young people that day and as a result I believe that Orry's name was written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

God used this episode to teach me a very important lesson. He had me scream out loud to teach me that the embarassment I felt walking in this gift was insignificant in comparison to the eternal benefits that could be reaped through it. He may ask me to do things that I am uncomfortable with but the benefit to the people He would be ministering to would be priceless.

Mia

I'm a lousy example of a Christian but a PERFECT example of God's Grace.

http://www.heartsongministry.com

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

View user profile http://www.miasherwood.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter Two - Starting Again

Post by daphanie02 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Good stuff Mia!

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelywomanofvirtue on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Amen....

lovelywomanofvirtue

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quenette on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 pm

This really blessed me (parts 1/2)... thank you!

Blessings to you...

Quenette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterinChrist on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:56 am

i hve a similar issue of public speaking.. But Lord is funny, He alwys puts me in a place where i have to speak (jobs) .... its so nerve racking... but i hve to do it...

Blessngs to u ... good stuff

SisterinChrist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

This really happened?

Great read by the way. I read the first one the day you posted but I forgot about the continuation that was soon coming. So glad I read here. Definitely enjoyed... although some experiences with me giving corporate words were always preceded with tongues

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am

Yep. It really happened.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone. Will be posting more this week.

KDRE,

Preceding with tongues is usually a very powerful word in my experience.

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am

SisterinChrist wrote:i hve a similar issue of public speaking.. But Lord is funny, He alwys puts me in a place where i have to speak (jobs) .... its so nerve racking... but i hve to do it...

Blessngs to u ... good stuff

Tons of fun, isn't it THanks, Sister. :)

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 am

Mia Sherwood wrote:Yep. It really happened.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone. Will be posting more this week.

KDRE,

Preceding with tongues is usually a very powerful word in my experience.

Wow... That's amazing!

I thought I had posted in the last one as well, I saw myself in that post one from the very beginning.

I used to think I just had a social problem laugh

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:06 pm

lol!

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtuous on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Wow!!! So much for running, huh?

Virtuous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ispeaktheword on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:33 am

Awesome read. This totally stirred my Spirit! Have you finished the book Mia?

Blessings,
Ty

ispeaktheword

View user profile http://www.tytenishaosgood.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:23 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top