Question about John 20:23

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Question about John 20:23

Post by BelovedoftheLord on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:03 am

John 20:23 whosoever sins ye forgive, they are forgiven unto them; whosoever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Hi;

I would be interested in getting your views on what this verse is really all about. I mean if forgiving others is mandatory - as taught elsewhere in the Word then why this verse which seems to imply that at times one can retain wrongs with the backing of Heaven nerd . Am i missing something. Thanks.

Last edited by BelovedoftheLord on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

BelovedoftheLord

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Question about John 20:23

Post by MaMaZ on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 pm

BelovedoftheLord wrote:John 20:23 whosoever sins ye forgive, they are forgiven unto them; whosoever sins ye retain, they are retained.

then why this verse which seems to imply that at times one can retain wrongs with the backing of Heaven nerd . Am i missing something. Thanks.

Missing something definitely not lol I share with you a verse thou I believe there are many examples given to answer that which you seek. laugh

Luke 10 v 10 But when you enter a town and are not welcomed, go into its streets and say, 11 ‘Even the dust of your town we wipe from our feet as a warning to you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God has come near.’ 12 I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town.

This verse explains how you will be a witness on the great day against such who denied the greatness of God when you came near with his message of peace and truth. In the word we are given talents some with one talent others with many those talents we retain and they become a testimony all given to you by the Holy Spirt. That which ye retain I believe are found within the testimonies you encounter within one’s life. If we follow the word and walk in righteousness (mercy, love, charity, peace, compassion etc) our works and testimonies as individuals makes us accountable to God. Good or bad we all will stand before God and I’m praying for Gods goodness to be over and in my life. So when I do stand I will hear our father speak and say unto me, enter in my good and faithful servant hehehehe!! tis all by faith and In God thru Christ Jesus I trust, Amen

happy dance Glory Be To God happy dance

MaMaZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:55 pm

I have also wondered this Beloved. I haven't read the responses above yet, but I heard a teaching on this scripture that really made sense to me.

The teaching I heard said that the sins we forgive of others are released. The sins of others that we hold unforgiveness for, those sins end up being retained (within). The teaching went on to say that oftentimes, say if someone's father was an adulterer and cheated on the childs mother...or was an alcoholic or abusive person...if the child holds on to that sin without forgiving oftentimes they end up becoming just like the father they so hated all their life. We understand iniquities, and family curses, and how Jesus broke those things for us...but sometimes unforgiveness can be the root that holds the iniquity in place. Retaining the sin can cause the person sinned against to live that out in their daily lives. Does that make sense?? Its a totally different perspective then I would ever have thought on my own, but it seemed to jump out at me and give me revelation as I heard the teaching. Just my thoughts, please pray on them.

Ephesians 2:8,9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Daisy wrote:I have also wondered this Beloved. I haven't read the responses above yet, but I heard a teaching on this scripture that really made sense to me.

The teaching I heard said that the sins we forgive of others are released. The sins of others that we hold unforgiveness for, those sins end up being retained (within). The teaching went on to say that oftentimes, say if someone's father was an adulterer and cheated on the childs mother...or was an alcoholic or abusive person...if the child holds on to that sin without forgiving oftentimes they end up becoming just like the father they so hated all their life. We understand iniquities, and family curses, and how Jesus broke those things for us...but sometimes unforgiveness can be the root that holds the iniquity in place. Retaining the sin can cause the person sinned against to live that out in their daily lives. Does that make sense?? Its a totally different perspective then I would ever have thought on my own, but it seemed to jump out at me and give me revelation as I heard the teaching. Just my thoughts, please pray on them.

:goodpost:

Do not fight FOR victory, but fight FROM THE PLACE of victory. Jesus has ALREADY won the battle!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaMaZ on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Tis a great point concerning forgiveness for without it we are far from God, Matthew 6 14 for if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. This point is made clear and unfortunately most deceive themselves because they do not perceive Gods truth. Romans 1 v 17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.” Now if by faith you feel moved by compassion concerning person or person’s lack of knowledge and believe they don’t know truth. Pray our father intervenes in their lives for he says James 5 v 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. So no matter what stumbling block is put before you with God nothing is impossible if you ask in his name. The word is given and by faith we lead by its example, it tells of a nation and how through disobedience the people denied him. It warns us of many things but it also shows how the mercy of God and his grace sustains the weak and oppressed.
Hebrews 4 v 12 for the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
Jesus the Great High Priest
14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. This Truth has opened my eyes and my heart cries out to God for all who don’t know his truth. I pray for the needs and the forgiveness of those who feel they are not worthy and have chosen to live in sin. I believe the Holy Spirit will never lead me to stumble (I can do that without God intervening) I thank God that he lays on my heart compassion for another so great I forget myself. I know not all will heed the message, but in faith I pray our father gives them the increase in his time in Jesus name, Amen

Be Blessed the peace of God be with you

happy dance Glory Be To God happy dance

MaMaZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top