Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lola21st

Elementary School Book Recommendations

I have an 8 year old son whose class is reading Harry Potter books. I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter series and was happy that my older son didn't gravitate to them. Not so with my younger son. In his class, they have a 30 minute 'quiet time' each day where they are to read. A couple of the kids started reading Harry Potter books (class provided) and then a frenzy or sorts began. Now all of the kids are reading the books, to the point where the teacher went to a used book sale to find the HP books for cheap so that she can stock the classroom.

While I'm happy that the kids have found an enthusiasm for reading, I'm not thrilled that it's through this series. I'd like to find alternative book series that are as engaging and riveting but don't involve witchcraft, the after life, etc. We've tried the Hardy Boys and The 39 Clues but he hasn't really taken to either.

What are 3rd graders reading these days? Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Hi Lurdys!! :hi: Just a suggestion.... the Chronicles of Narnia series I have heard has a Christian theme to it. I personally have not read any of them myself, so Im not certain on this (or of the reading level), but I have heard good things. Hope this helps...

I'm accepting this as confirmation! I totally missed your response but was at an event recently and asked one of Paul's classmates what books she was reading and she said "The Chronicles of Narnia". :coool:

Amazon.com here I come... lol!

Thanks Daisy! flower