Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lara

Day Dreaming

Since I was a young child, I guess due to the fact that I had very few playmates I day dreamed a lot. As I got older, it became a coping mechanism to escape from the pain.

When I started getting serious about God I tried desperately not to do it and for a while it worked. Then I found myself in stressful situations and the habit came back with a vengeance. I've prayed at church while the "anointing" was supposed to be flowing and when I'm alone with the same results. It stops for a few days then comes back.

I even done research on my condition since sometimes any thing can trigger a day dream. I've gone through so many healing processes and I get rid of bad emotions but still this tendency lingers. Is it that it's so deeply ingrained that its going to take years to break the habit or could my vivid imagination be part of my make up that just needs to be brought under divine control. Sometimes I wish I could stop, other times I don't care since it's a habit that seems impossible to break.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Lara wrote:
Is it that it's so deeply ingrained that its going to take years to break the habit or could my vivid imagination be part of my make up that just needs to be brought under divine control.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Hi Lara! These are my thoughts exactly! God is the one who made us with an imagination. Think of what a vivid imagination He had to create the heavens and the earth! You are made in His image. I will be praying that the Lord will help you to keep this pass-time (or even a possible gifting) within a healthy balance.

what do you mean specifically by day dreaming?

do you just mean dwelling on stuff that isn't of god or dwelling on things you wish you had?

make your requests known to God daily verbally and KNOW that He's listening and has already done it...don't just hope He has...know He has

this is what you need to do instead of holding anything in your mind

write stuff down too...just keep your thoughts COMING OUT verbally or in written form until you feel God's peace

until you're tired of thinking about them

I agree, being in balance...making sure the things you are thinking and meditating on are good things....

Phil 4: 8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

I wholeheartedly agree with Daisy. If the daydreams are clean and don't get in the way of the day to day "must do" things...like family, work and fellowship with God, then you may be one who dreams as a gift. Not just dream in sleep mode, but dream while awake...it could be the same, as long its within reason.

Cloud, for me day dreaming means writing a story in my head with images so I can imagine someone or something doing whatever in my day dreams.
The more knowledge I have of something the more realistic the day dream gets in terms of me being able to script a story line for it.

It can mean me wishing for something or just me imagining myself with people sharing a joke when I don't have anyone to share the joke with in reality. New experiences for me means new day dream material.

I do realize this may sound kind of nutty. But that's where I'm at now. Been trying to rid myself of the habit for a while now.

Hi, Lara. I can't say yea or nay on daydreaming, because I think that it's a personal conviction for you to sort through. I agree with what the others have said if it's positive.

A simple thing to do would be to include God on these thoughts. He knows them, anyway! Ask Him what he thinks about any given daydream.

2 cents. Feel free to ask for change back...
-Mark

Hi Lara,
I know exactly what you are talking about as I myself used to be a daydreamer BIG TIME. I used daydreaming for exactly the same reason you do - as a "cop-out" and yes, these daydreams are very vivid. I simply replaced the painful circumstances I had to be in in my real life with a "better" life in my imagination.

I'd say that if one is using this "escape route" as a way to deal with pain this is not from the Lord. The Lord is LIGHT! And what He does is bring what is hidden by the enemy out in the open and then He gives us a choice - do you want to deal with it or keep buried in dark places of your soul and keep hurting you.
I chose His way of dealing with the pain and problems that world is throwing my way and it simply REMOVED the need in any false "pain killers" like daydreaming.

But I also think that daydreaming is a flip side of a talent that God is giving to us as very bright imagination so we can use it as it was meant to be used to see visions from Heaven. I am only beginning to do this and need lots of help from the Lord to teach me how.

Hope this helped a bit. Love in Christ!!
astra

Hi, Lara ... I was reading your posts and the others and they are ALL RIGHT! But something stood out at me as I'm feeling God's presence. Are you lonely? I'm asking this because I'm concerned for you and IF this is the case, may God give you the peace you need and send you friends after His own heart to keep you occupied. May peace be still in your life. And if this helps, have a journal, you can buy a simple notebook and make it your Jesus Journal and start writing to God about your thoughts, this is very therapeutic if you're not able to express to anyone out loud. And it should decrease the "coping" dreams you're having. I love to write and I write to God all the time!!!! And it helps me because He knows I have troubles communicating verbally with people because my parents taught me to keep things to myself. They never really care to listen. And when I look back at my prayers in my journal, I recognize that He does answer prayers! I love you in Christ and be encouraged! :hooray: Yes, I recommend Philippians 4:8 as well! ;)

yes Lara, it's not "daydreaming" as much as it WANTING

you described the very same thing i do...thinking about what i wish i had in significant detail