The Nature of The Devil

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Nature of The Devil

Post by Habakkuk on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:39 am

For quite a while I have been wondering whether the devil really sees himself as the bad guy. I mean, when I take a look at history then I come to the conclusion that the worst people in history were often convinced that what they did was right, and that it served a greater good. Also, evil people who truly believe that they are the good guys have a tendency to come across as very convincing, simply because they truly believe that what they do is right! It would give them the illusion of righteousness simply because they believe it to be the truth!

This makes me wonder about the devil. He is a liar and deceiver, but could it be that he is also lying to himself about his own nature? If this is the case, then he would actually be even more dangerous than he would be, if he knew about his own nature. It would make it easier for him to sell his lies as truths, simply because he would be genuinely convinced that they ARE truths.

Habakkuk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Nature of The Devil

Post by hind'sfeet on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:10 am

I believe, considering the depravity of man's hearts evidenced by horrific actions, he does believe he is justified. You only have to take a look at horror movies to see the evidence of the depravity that is so well hidden irl and only comes out in the news because of a "leak/accident/found out". I don't know how much more dangerous he could get than having people believe that he doesn't exist.
When one has grown up in an abusive home, abused by both parents, where the parents played favs, your the oldest with a different father, all the currents husband's children are the favs., one feels justified to avenge ones self in retaliation against any sibling that has hurt you or was favoured in a situation that wasn't fair. The retaliation is always sin, but the avenger doesn't feel that way even if the discipline or situation truly was fair. To the neglected child, the discipline/punishment doled out by the "wicked" parents is never fair, even if it really is. But, lucifer was not neglected and his creator was not wicked. Anyone can bring themselves to feel superior and proud like lucifer did and then any discipline given to them, they would want revenge.

hind'sfeet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cloud on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 am

I think people who are heavily in Evil...the Devil especially...know they're "Evil" but don't care which in turn gives them the feeling of justification.

They know what "Good" is but they just aren't attracted to it and feel turned off by it.

They'd rather be Evil/Aggressive/Have Power

I've seen this in just about everyone, especially people with Narcissistic personalities

See it's all the same

Cloud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Habakkuk on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Cloud Connected wrote:

I think people who are heavily in Evil...the Devil especially...know they're "Evil" but don't care which in turn gives them the feeling of justification.

They know what "Good" is but they just aren't attracted to it and feel turned off by it.

They'd rather be Evil/Aggressive/Have Power

I've seen this in just about everyone, especially people with Narcissistic personalities

See it's all the same
I'm not sure whether they really know what 'good' is. I mean, they might know the word and they might know what is considered good, but their understanding tends to be rather abstract, and the whole concept probably looks illogical to them. The devil, for instance,... I can imagine that he is convinced that he is doing mankind as a race a favour by encouraging mankind to be cruel. Survival of the fittest, honing the human race to perfection by weeding out the weak. And everything for the benefit of the human race, of course.

I know that this contradicts the passage in the Bible where Jesus drives out some demons into a herd of pigs, where the demons say that they know that, one day, they will be doomed. I mean, it indicates that 'evil' as a whole knows that the whole plan to manipulate mankind will fail one day, but humans are also able to ignore unpleasant truths, no matter how obvious these truths are.

John 12:40 makes a lot of sense in this context:

“He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn—and I would heal them.”

Habakkuk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:27 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top