Foot washing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Foot washing

Post by ccov on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:42 pm

I've been having a lot of interesting dreams lately but this last one threw me for a loop. Last night, I dreamt that I was sitting on the edge of a bed, but not in a bedroom, and my ex (one that I dated for about 9 years and haven't seen in over a year) was sitting in a chair facing the bed washing my foot. Then we switched places and I washed his foot.

I know that foot washing was a big deal in the bible, but I'm not sure how to relate it to my dream. I'd love to hear any and all ideas.

ccov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foot washing

Post by TheWhiteShadow on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:45 pm

Hello, ccov -

To me, the illustration of Jesus washing his disciples feet was to show them humility and servanthood. Do you feel that God has been speaking to you about the application of these two things?

If so, have you been on the receiving end of similar acts recently?

Just a couple thoughts...
-Mark

TheWhiteShadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ccov on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:37 pm

It's very possible that God has been speaking to me about humility and servanthood but I'm not sure I've been on the receiving end of them. Maybe it could have something to do with my job hunt, but that seems a bit of a stretch.

I think, though, that faith and patience are the qualities that God is really working on me... not sure if that applies with foot washing.

ccov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by doowop on Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi CCOV!

John 13 gives the specifics on feet washing. As Mark already mentioned, Jesus definitely showed them humility. However, notice in verse 9 that after Jesus showed Peter just how important it was for him to wash Peter's feet, Peter wanted more than just his feet washed. However in verses 10-11 that Jesus told Peter that they (the disciples) were already clean, but there was someone amongst them who was not. In other words they didn't need more than their feet washed because they were already clean. He knew who would betray him, so I believe that the washing of the feet (without the washing of anything else) symbolized that they as a group were clean, but there is someone among them who is not.

I'm not entirely sure how that fits in with you and your ex, or how humility may play into it, but I think you may want to consider how you feel about him now, what are your thoughts concerning him? Do you have anger or bitterness or unforgiveness towards him?

Hope that helps :-)

doowop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ccov on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:44 am

What an interesting way to look at it... as a matter of cleanliness. It's so obvious and yet so elusive because I was looking for more of a symbol.

To answer your questions, yes, I do feel a little anger, bitterness, and forgiveness towards him. I also felt betrayed by him. Along with those feelings, I'm also very happy for him and proud of him. Our ending wasn't perfect, but it was right for both of us and we remained friends for a while after. I've prayed that I don't harbor any ill thoughts of him, but occasionally something will creep up and trigger one of those feelings.

Your post is timely too. I just had an upsetting dream two nights ago featuring someone else but I realized that the dream was actually about this ex. So I guess (hope) one of the things the dream is telling me is that like Peter, I am already clean. Maybe it was telling me that there is someone who is not. I also think that to forgive my ex, I had to humble myself and show servitude towards him by washing my his foot. I hope that this dream can mean it's a two-way street since he washed my foot too, because I also want forgiveness from him as he probably feels some of those same nasty feelings towards me sometimes.

Thanks whiteshadow and doowop for helping me to figure this dream out.

ccov

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by doowop on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:06 am

Amen,
I was thinking the same thing. The fact that he also washed your feet could mean that God is dealing with him also. Whether that is true or not, just pray for him :-)

doowop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:56 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top