Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deborah

Godliness with Contentment

The Bible says godliness with contentment is great gain, but I've been discontent for a long time now. I tend not to be as materialistic as most people I know, but I've been discontented with where I live, my marriage, my extended family--just a lot of things.

I know sometimes discontentment can be from the Lord--a woman I know who was in a physically abusive marriage got discontent enough to finally leave her husband and this saved her life--but for me, I've been where I'm supposed to be, doing what the Lord has asked of me and I've done a LOT of murmuring and complaining. I've kept a lot of this discontentment to myself, but I know my attitude has not been pleasing to the Lord and has been uncomfortable for people who have to live with me.

I also know there are carnal people out there who are reasonably content--perhaps they're rich, perhaps satan doesn't harrass them much because they are no threat to him--but this kind of contentment is dependant on circumstances. When the money runs out, when faced with cancer, when a spouse dies, this kind of contentment vanishes.

But it's godliness with contentment that is great gain. It's that contentment that comes from peace, a fruit of an intimate relationship with Jesus. Godliness with contentment is ready to say "Whatever, Lord. Though you slay me, though you ask me to stay in an unloving marriage, though you ask me to live amongst people who continually reject me, though you ask me (fill in the blank) I WILL serve You, I WILL worship You. I may fall, but I will repent and ask you to lift me up again and restore me once again."

So anyway, I've decided to stop murmuring in my tent. I have decided to cut off relationships with people who have supported me but have also sowed seeds of discontentment in me. I know this resolve is a big threat to the enemy because frankly all hell has broken loose in my life lately. Pray for me, brothers and sisters, that I remain here, in the lap of Jesus, where I can't help but be content.

Thank you Deborah. Good message. I think we all need to practice this. I know it applies to me. Thanks for sharing.

Love in Jesus,

Connie

This has also blessed me as well...thanks for sharing deborah!!! huggins

Oh Deborah...Thank you for positing this message!!

This has been me for a while..seems the attacks @ work dont seem to end... I 2have been discontent..and whenever i realize im being negative and i do say "im so sorry Lord, im greartful but i just cant take it anymore".. past few yrs, evry job i got its been 1 attak after another i thought this was going to be diffrnt, but to my discontent it has been bad..but Lord made a way... and my now im a diff role..Just praying this might be my land of milk and honey..

All day ive been home and just been feeling awful b/c i dont want to feel like im not greatful.. i murmur at work, enemy's trying to make my life miserable at work..

But TY Debrah,this encouraged me that im not alone.. and it shows us that we are the end of the day human, & life can get to us.. We have to live in a constant state of surrender and just say "Lord on my own I can do Nothing.. Please Help Me",
Lord used You to post here for me... thank you,,, blessings .. & sorry if

You weren't hijacking my thread! Blessings to you, I'm glad this helped you. In 2 Corinthians 1:8 the APOSTLE PAUL says in Asia he and his crew there were "burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life." Yes, life can be overwhelming! BUT Paul goes on to say these trials are designed so we learn not to trust in ourselves, but in God.
A friend of mine recently told me that life here on earth for the unsaved is the best there is (hell is a lot worse), but for the saved Christian, life here on earth is the worst there is--heaven awaits!

nerd ive had trukloads of stuff 2 be discontent about, arguing arguing :hmm: :hmm: an told da lordy :jesuspic: what ,,but lately i jus been tryin 2 develop thankfulness 4 many things like a bed Sweet Dreams ,,water.food :donut: :donut: an 4 da thangs i do enjoy :hooray: :hooray: i know id really miss tha things i do hav if they wer gone shocked ,, i dont hav the answer ,,but maybe a help, ,,,, sweet dreams 2 D,, labourg 2 enter his rest Flower Power lol!

yes i agree thats what ive been doing..just speaking thanks every chance i get... ... sometimes when it gets tough. i need to keep reminding myself of how blessed i really am,, even things we take for granted r a gift from

Hi Deborah,
You said:
"So anyway, I've decided to stop murmuring in my tent. I have decided to cut off relationships with people who have supported me but have also sowed seeds of discontentment in me. I know this resolve is a big threat to the enemy because frankly all hell has broken loose in my life lately. Pray for me, brothers and sisters, that I remain here, in the lap of Jesus, where I can't help but be content."

That's very brave, I hope that it has gotten easier as time passed. Jesus I pray that you will bless Deborah for acting on her convictions, I pray that you will fill her heart with the peace that comes from gratitude. I ask that Deborah might be able to look back to last month and smile for joy at the change she can see in hindsight.

Oh God, help me too, to count my blessings instead of my grumbles. Life is not easy, even your life here was not easy!

I will speak out my thanks, I will enter your courts with praise, for you have blessed me in amazing ways! I am free to love you, free to enter your presence!!!! No amount of money could pay for the Life you have given... I am your ambassador, your light in a dark place.... this means my life has purpose and significance... I a so very thankful for people who love me, people to hug, needs met, beauty in my surroundings, a pet... I am so very very blessed!

Thanks Deborah for reminding me to bless my very generous Father with my praise today! I'm declaring for myself a gratitude day... a day of speaking out what I am thankful for.

Blessings to you all...

Diane