Child on the Highway

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Child on the Highway

Post by TheWhiteShadow on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Hello, everyone -

I was driving down a highway in my city. I saw a child standing in the middle of the road with his back to me. I knew that traffic would be coming soon, so I pulled off to the side of the road and approached the child on foot. I spoke gently and was clear that I intended to help the boy as I didn't want him to run off for fear that I intended him harm. When I reached him, I found that he had a baby brother standing with him in a diaper. I chose to carry the baby while I walked with the boy back to where my car was.

The children's mother is now on the scene, and her car is parked by my own. I returned the kids to her, but she seemed indifferent - yet, polite. Turning to leave, I find that the woman's sister has arrived, also parked by my car. She has a daughter with her about the same age as the older boy. I see that it's going to be tight getting my car out from between theirs.

I get into my car to drive away, and the boy and girl are now on the hood of my car. They see a foggy spot on my window and begin to draw/write in it. I cannot believe the parents are allowing this behavior after the earlier heroics. I eventually get frustrated enough that I roll down the window and told the parents that I was leaving.

Please feel free to share any thoughts,
-Mark

TheWhiteShadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Child on the Highway

Post by Genevieve on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:43 am

Hi Mark, do you know anyone in real life who is neglecting a responsibility of any kind? It was just a thought. -Genevieve

Genevieve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheWhiteShadow on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:34 am

Hey, Genevieve -

Truth be told, I've got a pretty solid idea of what this is about now that I've stepped back from it. And, yes, there's a neglect of responsibility - at least from my point of view. So, I guess I could share...and I hope I don't get too long-winded.

This dream came right after a very frustrating night at work. I believe the two children represent two relatively new supervisors that I've had to train. They began about a year apart from each other. Both were thrust into their positions with zero background in what our facility does. However, since my shift is the experienced one, they were given to me. The first one learned a great deal and is now moderately successful running a shift of his own. The other is not doing so well. It is the opinion of everyone on my shift that the responsibility to train these two ought to belong to their supervisor - as represented by the parent.

Due to many frustrations at work, I've been looking to leave. Two supervisors have offered to write letters of recommendation for me, but have not followed through on their pledges. The overall feeling that I have is that I'm trapped there - as in the two vehicles parked near my own that make it difficult to leave. The behavior of the children on my car is symbolic of the shocking disrespect shown to everyone at my workplace, not just myself.

Whew! I'm sure that probably sounds a bit like whining, though. But, the good news is that I felt better when I was able to see the connection to my real-life circumstances. Now if I could just get those kids off my car... :)

TheWhiteShadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:58 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top