Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jjp708

Abram and Sari - Genesis 16

I know we covered chapter 16 a little but tonight I'll be reading it again. What say we dig into chapter 16! happy dance

Who's in woo hoo :loveit:

Ok, sorry I didn't log back in last night. It was my Happy Birthday 2 and I was just all over the place.

So, here goes chapter 16:

Check out verse 3-5:
Abram agreed to what Sarai said. 3 So after Abram had been living in Canaan ten years, Sarai his wife took her Egyptian slave Hagar and gave her to her husband to be his wife. 4 He slept with Hagar, and she conceived.

When she knew she was pregnant, she began to despise her mistress. 5 Then Sarai said to Abram, “You are responsible for the wrong I am suffering. I put my slave in your arms, and now that she knows she is pregnant, she despises me. May the LORD judge between you and me.”

What I find especially interesting about this particular passage is that Sarai acted in her own will, out of unbelief and lack of patience. She tried to "help the Lord out" and the it came back to "hunt her". Hagar started to despise her.

I know this hits home for me because EVERYTIME I act out of the will of God it ALWAYS comes back to "hunt me" in some kind of way. There's a great lesson here; that every action has a reaction and that there are conscequences for every action.

Happy Be-lated Birthday!!

This hits home for me too. I read this chapter and was reminded of a time I made a decision based on my emotions...didn't "consult" the Lord first. And boy did it "hunt" me.
what a great lesson here!!

Thanks Angelwings :kissyface:

It stems (for me) from a weakened faith and lack of patience. But the Lord is gracious and He will continue to purify us until we shine like gold.

Although we have to deal with the consequences, such as Sarai, God does provide a way out.

um funny how sara blamed abraham 4 her actions,, ,,um sara didnt hav the encounta abraham had, so was really kinda tagging behind, ,,,,,,,, D,, way out,,

Interesting that you brought that up dreamster! scratching chin Because not once did the Lord talk to Sarai about His vision even though it involved her. Why do you think that was the case?

Is it because she should (or was suppose) to be submissive to him? That's according to the scriptures

White Flag

I personally think that the reason why it was Abram that God visited is because he was the carrier of the seed. His seed had to be cultivated with God's power, in order for God's promise to come to pass. Even though we don't want to discount a womans role in bringing FORTH the seed, it all begins in the loins of a man.

Not trying to a Biology course here, but if Abram's seed is quickened and empowered, it will turn around and quicken and empower Sarai's womb. She was "only" the carrier of the promise, but it all began IN Abram. That's why we are called "The Seed of Abraham".

j,,, um mi observation of the culture of the day was very patriarchial, ,, plus the genealologies r prefaced by the man , the story shows abraham as the central figure, ,,um as much as id like2,, i cant really say why lordy did it that way, ,,,,,,, Deebraham,,,

C ona roll ,,,daannng gurrrrlllllllllllll,, lol! ,,u preaching again, ,,,,,,,, D,, i got tikets 2 the next show,,

"Deebraham" rofl

I think that Cholette is on the right path with her comment. The seed was definately in Abrams loins. But ur right D. There's no "real" way we can explain it. :kissyface: