Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jjp708

Abram and Sarai

I'm reading about Abram and Sarai tonight (starting in Genesis 15). I'd love to have a "Bible Study" about it if anybody's interested. woo hoo :glory:

Let's do it girl...great idea. How would you like to do it, chapter by chapter?

Sure let's do chapter by chapter! happy dance and Dreamster there will be plenty of spiritual food afterwards I promise rofl

What an amazing revelation I received in chapter 15 & 16. In chapter 15, after the Lord spoke and told Abram (at that time) that he would have a son, Abram believed Him. But then if you go over to chapter 16:1-2 you'll see that he started to doubt and his doubt caused him to take the matters into his own hand.

I did notice that it had been 10 years since the Lord had spoken the Word. My question is....how many of us have waited on the Lord for something BELIEVING and then after a while your faith started to weaken?

I love this story because it's what I hide in my heart since I've been waiting for a LONG TIME for the birth of some promises.

What I love about these two chapters is, Abram was human. I don't know about you, but over the years, whenever I heard preachers say anything about Abraham, it was that He was a man of solid faith. No one talks about when he was Abram...the season where God was developing his faith...which is where most of us are.

What I've noticed is that Abram was fine with the promise God gave him until Sarai influenced him to go with Hagar. Isn't that how it works? God promises us something and we tell someone and because they don't believe, it influences US to not believe? Even though they were married, the weren't in the same place in their belief.

Your question is valid..."how many of us have waited on the Lord for something BELIEVING and then after a while your faith started to weaken?" I can honestly say that I visit this place many times. There are some promises God has given me as far back as 15-20 years that haven't come to pass yet. There are times where things seem like they are lining up, but then it dissipates. During those times, I have to meditate on scriptures about hope and faith. Yes, it's easier to do what Abram and Sarai did, but going on and making it happen. The thing is, when we "help" God, it never turns out quite the way we expect.

:glory: PREACH CHOLETTE!!!

Yes, Abram was a believing man until Sarai unbelief influenced him to move on his own. But isn't it just like people to talk us out of a place of faith? I don't hold them accountable (anymore) though because it is me who the Lord has given the Word to. thumbs

There's another working here in 15:8 where Abram ask the Lord about the land that the Lord said he would posses. Let's start up in verse 7 and go down to 11 to really get a good feel for it:

Then the Lord told him, “I am the Lord who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land as your possession.”

8 But Abram replied, “O Sovereign Lord, how can I be sure that I will actually possess it?”

9 The Lord told him, “Bring me a three-year-old heifer, a three-year-old female goat, a three-year-old ram, a turtledove, and a young pigeon.” 10 So Abram presented all these to him and killed them. Then he cut each animal down the middle and laid the halves side by side; he did not, however, cut the birds in half. 11 Some vultures swooped down to eat the carcasses, but Abram chased them away.

I could never understand why God answered Abram this way until I read a great commentary by Bob Diffenbaugh that explain that in those times they didn't write down legal and binding agreements. Instead they used animals to "seal the deal". So this act was the Lord "sealing the deal" or making a covenant (promise) to Abram in terms that he could understand.

GOD IS SO AWESOME! He meets us right where we are :hallelujah:

So what caused Abram's faith to weaken? time and the unbelief of others.....whew THAT'S A POWERFUL LESSON RIGHT THERE.

Oh, I forgot my point, I got so excited. lol!

My point to the Lord answering Abram with a covenant was that the Lord was saying (paraphrasing) "Abram if you don't believe me, I'll make it legally binding". In other words, the Lord was saying (paraphrasing) You can take this to the bank...this is a GOOD deal.
woo hoo

I just love it!

lol! im tryin 2 getta few werds in here swtys happy dance all grt stuff yall r sayin,, i hadda drm last monthn i was preachg 2 a man sayin,,'' if u gotta werd frm lordy :jesuspic: u can stand on it even if the earth is ending cos a werd frm god oldguy is the bottom line,, mi werlds been shaken tornado what big tme,, ive had many drms of god comin thru esply mi last one ''mi dad'',, abram hadda werd 2 leave his family /country ,,an 2 be a progeniter of a covenant nation un2 god, despite the fact he an sara wer past it, but heres the thang, whistle lol! u notice that the werd had quikened his body cos he fathered ishmail. what all of us hav drms yet 2 manifest, :inyourdreams: ,, we r tested ..proved.. buffetted,, have tribulations,, :lordhelpus: :ineedahug: ,, our faith is tried in the furnace nerd what we want2 run from it, but god disaplines those whom he loves, nerd what hebrews talks about the heroes of faith ,, they went thru, notta round,the grt part of this story was abram despite his weakness obtained the promise,, ,,,,,,,,, D

Ya'll are preachin to me!!! that's good stuff and I needed it! I'm going to go read Genesis 15.

rofl Dreamster you are too funny! ROTFL

on a more serious note: Yea, dreamster, I agree with you hole heartedly! and the best part (you're right) that dispite his weaknesses, he still obtained the promise. That's what makes God great!!!!

He says in Isa 55:11 that His Word will not return to Him void (paraphrasing). There is no way we can change God's mind!

That's what I love about this story!

Let's move on to chapter 16 (unless you guys have more....please share)

This is DEFINATELY good stuff! There is something that D said that made me go . He said:

u notice that the werd had quikened his body cos he fathered ishmail.

I NEVER saw this before...EVER!!! Abrams body was DEAD!!! So even if he laid with Hagar, he should NOT have been able to father a child with her, but THE WORD caused his body to react in the way it was supposed to and BAM Ishmael was born. Even though he wasn't the promised child, the Word still quickened his body to the point he was able to have a child, when he NEVER was able to have one before. Oh wow...I need to sit with this part right here because I believe God wants to say something about how powerful His word is EVEN WHEN we do things prematurely...and how He can still bless it...as He did Ishmael.

yep,, an a great arab nation is the result so the ''werd '' was super-nateral,,,we hav a nu testiment version,, ''an the same spirit that raised frm tha dead,,shall quiken our mortal bodys'',.,, ,,can i hava in da house 2nite,, ,, ,,,,,,,,,, D,, um books cds at tha bak ,,,

um i havnt read the chapta yet im jus ona roll, ,, um i havent herd wat i said either,, it jus kinda appeared in mi head as i was ,,,,, u kno how i roll ,,

That's right dreamster!

The word did indeed quicken Abram's body! It was the Rhema (or the spoken Word of God) that caused his body to perform. Without the Rhema Word it would have been impossible.

God is awesome that way!

Oh wow...I need to sit with this part right here because I believe God wants to say something about how powerful His word is EVEN WHEN we do things prematurely...and how He can still bless it...as He did Ishmael.

I'm glad this was said because as I read the chapter last night I was blessed as well. I never caught it before, but what an amazing example of Gods unconditional love as well.
"God honors those who honor Him"
That tells me that Abram had good intentions, it may have not been the right one but he was acting according to what he thought was Gods will. As Cholette said, he acted prematurely....but God blessed him anyway. Thats powerful!!!

:happydance:yes ther r examples of a second chance ,,, is sooo full of grace, 2wards us,

wow this is awesome!! how encouraging! i never saw it either...
this really blessed me... PTL!!

i recently saw a vision/drm ] and im waiting for my "change" as all of u are waiting...4His promises 2cme to pass.]. He said that its going to happen as it happend to Abraham!!

i bleve this is also for His children who are waiting..and have been waiting 4 His promises to come to pass...