Help Guide on Understanding Symbolism~Part 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help Guide on Understanding Symbolism~Part 1

Post by daphanie02 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:08 am

Symbolic Dreams

Understanding Dream Language Between You and God

Intro:

I love Mia's teaching about seeking God first for every answer regarding our dreams. It’s so easy to post a dream online for interpretation, but what if someone gives you feedback that doesn't sit well with you? It may make sense, and seem really clever, but it’s not at all the way you felt in the dream. God wants to give you divine revelation from Him. We should seek Him first and then come to our fellow brothers and sisters for confirmation. God will not tell someone else something contrary to what He has already told you. Seeking God for the meaning of your dreams will not only bring you to a more intimate level with God, it will help you to hear God's voice more clearly and help develop your own personal dream vocabulary. When you are hearing from God about your own dreams, you will find it easier to understand others as well.

God is way bigger than a dream dictionary. There is much more to dream interpretation than piecing symbols together to create a spiritual message that involves what is going on in your life. You may recognize a symbol you have already been given understanding to in a previous dream, but keep in mind the other references you have such as the Bible, the internet (to understand an unfamiliar word), and sometimes from your own head. As long as it doesn’t contradict God’s Word, and something He has spoken to you, consider it worth your time to have sought the matter out. "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings." Proverbs 25:2 :reading:

Discernment:

“As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.” Daniel 1:17 King James Version (footnote says “Or he made Daniel understand”)
No matter how “learned” or “skilled” you are at understanding symbolism, metaphors and riddles, you will never be able to correctly interpret a dream without discernment from God! There have been countless times I have been alarmed by a symbol in my dream thinking it to mean something bad leaving me with a feeling of foreboding. bandaid Just when I think I have a grasp of what a symbol represents, the Lord may give it again for something totally different. The only thing that puts my mind at ease with a scary dream or symbol is through prayer and handing the dream over to the Lord for an interpretation. Only He knows the purpose for which it was given because He is the one who gave it.
“For I (Myself) will give you a mouth and such utterance and wisdom that all of your foes combined will be unable to stand against or refute.” (Luke 21:15 Amplified Bible)

Waiting on the Lord’s answer increases our ability to discern between a true Word from the Lord verses our own thoughts or understanding. Daniel was given the ultimate test when he was asked by king Nebuchadnezzar to first give the dream and then the interpretation. Daniel had to have the ability to hear from the Lord. This is what he had to say after God gave him and his friends the king’s dream along with the interpretation:

“Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise, and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers: You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we have asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the king.” (Daniel 2:20-23 New International Version) :glory:

Something we see often in the forum is people giving “interpretations” based on their own understanding but with authority as if it was from God. This is the same as divination and is accurate as a daily horoscope. It is imparitive that we hear from God before we give an interpretation with authority to others. Remember: God deals with false prophets.

Balaam was a soothsayer who practiced sorcery and divination (Numbers 22:7, 24:1). The Moabites hired him to come speak a curse against the Jews. However God put an angel in Balaam’s path to destroy him because the path he was on in life was a reckless one. When he arrived to the place he was hired, he found he could not add his own words to what the Lord had decreed for His people. Balaam learned a lesson we should all remember. “But I can’t say whatever I please. I must speak only what God puts in my mouth.” (Numbers 22:38 New International Version)

Why are feelings important?

Is there anything we can do on our own to understand the symbols in our dreams? Yes! If you have a dream with a puzzling symbol, ask yourself “How did that symbol make me feel?” then write those feelings down, they are a clue that will help you pinpoint what the symbol represents. idea

God is Spirit and made us in His image, He made us to worship him in Spirit and in truth (John 4:24). When we are in worship, we express many emotions to him depending on our circumstance. If things are going well, we praise him with thankfulness; if we are in mourning, we worship with a heavy heart asking God to carry us through; if God has just brought us through the fire, we shout the victory! The emotions we express to God are truth and we pour this truth out on Him like a sweet smelling perfume. God loves these emotions, and He also has emotions. God is jealous (Exodus 34:14), he cries (John 11:35), he loves and hates (Romans 9:13), he is pleased when we are faithful (Matt 25:23), he gets angry (Exodus 4:14), he regrets (Genesis 6:6)… I believe that when we have prophetic dreams, we are in spirit witnessing true future events that contain our wide range of emotions.
That’s why it’s important to pay attention to the feelings you have in dreams. If the dream is prophetic, the feelings you experience are your natural response to what’s happening. Example: If you have a dream about a shark attacking you, you will more than likely be terrified. God is revealing truth, that you will be attacked by something that will make you feel terrified. Now look up verses in the Bible that talk about being afraid. The scriptures you find will be a word in season! woo hoo

Emotions are a wonderful tool to worship with, but as we all know they can also get us into trouble. God often gives us dreams that put our feelings in check. I once heard my pastor say that if you don’t hold your thoughts captive, you will develop a feeling about it. Such as a lovely lady passing by or a good looking man. Divorces are sometimes based on feelings. That’s why God will give you a dream that is so full of an emotion that it leaves you disgusted with yourself when you wake up. God may be showing you a feeling in your heart that needs to change.

Since we understand that feelings are important in dreams, don’t allow feelings in your dreams affect the decisions you make in life. Example: Say that you have a dream you are on a date at a Mexican resteraunt with a person that you have strong feelings for. They have on a red scarf with blue spots. Then he/she asks you to marry them and you are so in love with them that you say yes! End of dream.
Now let’s say that in real life, you are a believer and your significant other is not. He/she invites you to dinner at a Mexican resteraunt. You recall the dream you had, and your heart starts pounding fast. Then when he/she shows up wearing that red scarf with blue spots you know what’s coming! Does it mean since you had a prophetic dream about this that its meant to be and you should marry them? Have you gone to the Word of God about the dream God gave you? Again, God will never tell you to do something that goes against His word. (Just because something happens, doesnt mean it was always meant to!) Since the Bible clearly says not to be yoked with an unbeliever, it is likely the dream was given to you as a heads up to let you know you need to pray about the situation you are in. Have you asked God about HIS feelings about this man/woman?

Symbol Types~
It is my hope and prayer to help dreamers understand the nature of the symbolism that occurs in their dreams, and to encourage others to seek God always on the meaning. In my dreaming experience, God has used different types of symbols to communicate such as personal, universal, and biblical symbols.

1. Personal Symbols-
There's nothing wrong with looking in your head for answers. Sometimes God uses what's on your mind to create the perfect dream for communication.

Personal Symbols usually come from what you are filling yourself up with or what is learned from every day life. If you hear a catchy phrase, God may use it in a dream that night or even a week later. God will sometimes use what you have stored in your brain to get His point across. The cool thing about this type of symbol is that it's mostly between you and God and no one else may know the answer.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "a leg to stand on?" It means help during rough times or God backing you up.

I had a dream where someone loaned me their fake leg because I only had one leg. I was walking around in this person's house with a fake leg showing them how well I could walk with it. It so happened that it was my husband's (just dating at the time) father I was walking in front of. I really wanted his parents to like me. But since we met online, and his parents were old fashioned, they weren't too excited about me. Well his dad saw that I walked so well with that fake leg, that he invited me back!
The Lord spoke to me the next day and said "I will give you a leg to stand on and his parents will like you so much, they will invite you back." And that’s exactly what happened; They invited me back!

I used to think of a hula girl from Hawaii, as symbolic for enticement. I actually had a dream where my husband was inside a hut that was built on a rock. I was standing outside with a group of girls and watched as a hula dancer tried to entice him to come out. I saw his jaw firmly set and he stayed where he was. I felt comfortable enough to leave with my friends. I knew I could trust him.
The dream obviously meant that my husband lived on THE ROCK and he was not giving in to temptation and that I could trust him.

However, I had another dream where a hula dancer meant something totally different.
One night I was watching Seinfeld, (this is naughty but God still used it) and one man stated to the other how one of his friends went on their honeymoon to Hawaii. He then went on to say that something about the hula dancers had made him turn gay.

That night I dreamed that I was in an apartment complex strictly for men. No woman was even allowed on the property ever. I had a strong feeling that everyone there was homosexual. I snuck in and saw an apartment where a man I knew lived. He was someone I had questioned in my mind about and was praying for. I never voiced my concerns to anyone else, just the Lord. I walked through the man’s door and saw him laying in his bed. Suddenly all these women were "after" him. But he turned them down so as not to offend the Lord by living in sin. So I wondered again, could he be gay? Then I saw a Hula dancer at the end of his bed and thought this was the ultimate gay test because of what I had seen on Seinfeld. He watched the dancer but turned away. He never gave in to her.

In this dream, God used the hula dancer as a symbol for temptation to turn gay.

God used the symbol of the Hula dancer from my night of watching Seinfeld to show me the heart of this man. Symbols aren't always used the same way twice.

Its important that you pray for the meaning of a symbol and while you are meditating on the answer, be thinking of what the symbol could mean to you just in case God has used a personal symbol He picked from your brain.
:coool:

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help Guide on Understanding Symbolism~Part 1

Post by mariam on Wed May 04, 2011 6:04 am

I picked a lot from this . jesus is the lord.

mariam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs.Diegan on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Very good information scratching chin

Mrs.Diegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shan on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Reading the part about the personal symbols that God uses confirms exactly what I have been thinking. It seems to be happening a lot lately. I used to dismiss these dreams because it was something I had just heard or watched recently, but I have come to realize that God pays attention to my everyday life and speaks things to me using them. Thanks a lot Laura!

Shan

Shan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chimere on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Wow, again and again, I'm amazed at how the Lord speaks clearly to us. I feel such a peace right now as we speak and that He is breathing on me. And since God visits me through dreams and He also speaks to me while I'm awake, too. I'm a firm believer that God do send dreams to His loved ones because there are things He wants to bring to our attention and I'm learning by his Grace, it's up to us to receive what He is telling us. There's nothing more enjoyable than being alone with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, He is our Prince of peace and a Wonderful Counselor!!!!! Everything you said, Laura is SOOOOOOO on point. And I agree with Mia with everything we MUST seek God first because our perspective is NOT His perspective and The Lord told me a while back when I used to fellowship with this church (I was about 1 or 2 years old in Christ at the time, and now I've been with God for eight years by His Grace and still learning because Lord knows I'm not perfect but I'm striving to walk by His mercy and grace each day.) Everything is not what it appears to be! And I asked Him, "Well, Lord, what do you mean?" An then He start revealing basic truths, just because we see what is in front of us in the natural that doesn't mean it is that way behind closed doors. And those closed doors the Lord revealed to me means our hearts. This one lady who I loved like a sister, God let me sit at prayer time and He told me to turn around and get a REAL GOOD look at her; a dark cloud covered her face and she gave me a wicked, underhanded smile and God showed me with His discernemnt her real thoughts towards me and I felt a literal knife went through my back. And sure enough, God told me how she was going to betray me, when and where! He also revealed her true identity to me and I knew right then and there I had to remove myself with the situation because sad to say, she lied on me and spread it to the church and they treated me like dirt. So I go by what God's word says, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." 1 John 4:1. I knew deep wthin my heart, granted no church is perfect, BUT YET at the same time, true believers love each other with the Love of God. And we are to love one another the way God loves us. It grieves God when we hurt each other, when we hurt each other we are also hurting Him because we are His creation and He made no mistakes on us at all like David stated in Psalms 139 we are "fearfully and wonderfully" made. :)

I'm learning so much from this becuse I am hungry for God's Word and I want Jesus to walk and talk with me everday. Thanks again for sharing these beautiful nuggets the Lord has placed in your head to tell us, for He used You for His Glory! love ya!!!!

Chimere

View user profile http://amzn.to/ICKWgM

Back to top Go down

Post by renki on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:22 pm

I love this posting. I've become interested in the prophetic but I don't want to get into divination or listening to good sounding/prophetic lies from satan. Thank you for giving this guidance.

renki

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:11 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top