Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linda Irish

God Speaks To Us

One of the very underated and under appreciated ways that we hear the voice of God, is actually through troubles and difficulties. I was reading the Bible yesterday morning when I came across this awesome scripture…just another confirmation that God does talk to us, His sons and daughters.

“Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers, will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:20

What God is talking about is that when we are children, when we are immature we see the problems and struggles in our life as being of no value, like tacks in the road, so to speak. But as we mature in our spiritual growth, through walking in the Holy Spirit we will soon see that God has given, us opportunity to develop our skills in hearing His voice through these difficult times. When we have these times we will not longer wring our hands in despair but know that “All things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called together for His purpose”

We all have these struggles in our life, but as a born again Christian we know that we are to walk in all the difficulties in a way that is pleasing to God. This is what is pleasing to the Father of us. Are we then able to walk through the hard times…with peace in our heart, with the spirit of God filling us and leading us, with a mouth that has good, true and uplifting words, and a mind that thinks good thoughts?. Are we counted as having a humble and forgiving spirit and an attitude of thanksgiving and appreciation to God, and the desire to continually grow our faith in all that God would have us know and believe? It is not the circumstances in the world that determine success, it is the status of our heart mind and soul.

The thing that satan likes to control people with is fear…We know that we are to trust God, but often instead of trusting God, we decided to listen to the fear and do something deemed “more dependable” than God. It is our version of the “Sara thing” where God told Sara and Abraham that they would have a child and where Abraham believed and it was accounted to him as righteousness, Sara laughed in disbelief (as she was very very old)….and then she persuaded Abraham to impregnate her handmaiden Hagar, instead.

So I struggle with this fear also, let me give you and example. The other day God gave me a dream, it was a prophetic dream and in the dream he was telling me that there was going to be an accident (a wreck) and that it was to be an opportunity for ministry. (you can read all about it in the story called; God Can do In Our Lives More Than We Can Imagine! www.3womenonamission.com

) When I woke up God told me to tell people, and I knew that He was talking about my friends and family on facebook as well.

That was out of my comfort zone. Fear was the first thing to try to keep me from following God. The enemy puts those thoughts in our head “yeah, you will look stupid if you post that, people will that you think you are a prophet or a mind reader and full of yourself”….I instantly said to God, “Oh, I don’t think I’m doing that”…but then I realized that God was not asking me what my opinion was….He told me to do it.

So I did it. I thought to myself, I have to be willing to stumble and maybe get it wrong sometimes in fine tuning my “hearing from God”…maybe I won’t always get it right, but if we choose to ignore God and disobey and disregard that things that He is saying to us, why even bother saying that you are a Christian? Really.

So satan tried to control me by putting the fear on me in hopes that I would “play it safe, If I did not post I would not risk ridicule. That is true, I needed to post whether I would get ridicule or not.

As it turned out the dream warned me to pray for whoever was going to be in a wreck…and I did, and posting it gave others opportunity to pray as well. It was a Thursday early in the dark morning when I awoke from the dream and prayed, and later that day I called my close friend but she couldn’t talk, she was upset that her daughter had just been in a car wreck. No broken bones but banged up and sore. Then on the next day my sister was in a car wreck that totaled her car…same thing, no serious injuries but or course the car was messed up.

I am only sharing this because it is important to recognize this kind of fear as the enemy of God. God had me and othes praying in intercessory prayer for others, and they were not seriously injured, who can say what the outcome may have been without the power of God interceding. Shall we be thankful to God for keeping our loved ones safe? Absolutely.

If you stay in the Holy Spirit, you will walk in His way. God will continue to lead you into all truth. God is our source. God is our identity, God will speak to His sons and his daughers. We need to learn how to listen.

Amen Linda Thanks for sharing

Im learning that its more important for me to hear his voice and do "it"
whatever it may be moreso than worry about how people will take it or if they'll think im making it up

I remember many times that God would tell me to share a word at church or a vision and I would go up to the Pastor, as is the protocol at the church that I belonged to for years, and sometimes I would hear. "maybe later"...or "what is the word" for me to whisper in the pastor's ear, and pastor then would not share it or forget.

Sometimes I have been visiting churches and God would have me share, and the Pastor would say, "we don't do that here"

I know it made me fearful sometimes to "do" the thing that I know God wants me to do. I don't want to "fear" rejection, but I stilll struggle with it.

But I will follow through on what God says to do, like you said, kdre, and just do it....He is the one that I love, more than anyone and anything. I know that all those times I have been in training because the Bible says, "In this way I will know that they love me, in that they obey my word."

Its not always easy to just do it, but thats one thing I've found some comfort in when trying to move forth because if it really is God, he will confirm his word with signs and wonders

I had a night where we were in a local convocation..many churches came together. God in the midst of the spirit going high, gave me to speak in tongues and give the interpretation which was "let the people praise me". At that moment I didnt know that was an actual scripture, but as I said it... the atmosphere in the church started to change (for the better)

Nonetheless, a much older Elder and Pastor who was the MC, decided he didnt want that, so he started to sing an old slow song and drowned out the praise before it got going purposely of course.

I didnt feel anything at this time, I was so surprised that I heard God's voice so clear and it was clear, I was just happy enough that I was able to hear and say what I heard.

I was told to sit down because they (whoever was conducting the service) didnt want that, and of course the spirit in the church dampened from that point. Later on I was also told, because I got a word of interpretation, I didnt just HAVE to say it.

The people knew it was God, I knew for once in my life :) but it was simply not allowed to go forth, for whatever the reasons were.

I wasnt hurt or ashamed or anything. Some of the people were angry because they felt, why are we coming into worship service if we're going to stop the spirit from working, some sent me notes of be encouraged maybe because they thought that discouraged me.

It didnt, because it really wasnt my words, and I was still stunned that I heard God like I did.

Thing is, I was just trying to get to the point where I was letting go of holding back because of fear and allowing the gifts to come out, and was shut down.

Now what did bother me about it is, none of those people in charge said hey, we recognize you have this gift, now this is how you use it, this is what you do with it , etc...etc...

That saddens me not only because we'll never know what God was going to do in that meeting, heal someone, save someone, who knows, but also because that place I was in is not something you just wake up and say "Hey today im going to hear the voice of God and interpret and prophesy and im not holding back and the spirit is going to be so high because I said it will"

Saying all of that, Im learning how important it is to tell people to understand their calling and gift, and get some training if possible
so they can be a help to the church.

KDRE wrote:

I was told to sit down because they (whoever was conducting the service) didnt want that, and of course the spirit in the church dampened from that point. Later on I was also told, because I got a word of interpretation, I didnt just HAVE to say it.

The people knew it was God, I knew for once in my life :) but it was simply not allowed to go forth, for whatever the reasons were.

Hi KDRE,

I can relate with your experience. Sadly, it is not the bad people on the street who can stop the move of God neither the satanist nor atheist, but it is the religious people who can abort the move of God in His church. Our Lord Jesus always had a serious confrontation with religious pharisees and tachers of the law. The ones who accused the Lord of demon possession.

All I can say my brother, dont let this religious or jezebelic spirit stop you nor discourage you from walking in your calling in HIm.

KDRE..You said that you are realizing how important it is for others to understand their gifts and to get training. I so agree. I believe that is a good thing and maybe oneday that will be your mission. Are you involved in leadership in your church or have you considered it?

Owen, no doubt about it.

Linda yes I do feel as though thats an important thing that is missing

Matter of fact people don't even talk about it.
I hope I get enough understanding and actually operate in these things enough that I can tell and teach people and answer all of their questions.

I listened to a few teachings online from Roberts Liardon, and Pastor Colin Dye, who are in London and they have a ton of services on the church site Kensington Temple. They broke down quite a few lessons on the gifts, and the 5 fold ministry.

I think since Ive been in the church, Ive had 1 series on the gifts which helped push me forward to realize that Jeremiah 1:5 wasnt just a call to preach but it confirmed a great deal of things that was happening to me in life.

That was awesome, but just once was this done. ONCE!

I am involved in leadership but, the only teaching ive done is in Sunday school and I just started that a few months ago.

One of the things I wrote and deleted when owen asked me what I want to see happen in the church, one of them is operating in the gifts to help push the people of God forward, and on that end, I'd love to teach about it when I fully understand.

KDRE, do you always experience that? I mean, you know that Spirit of God wants to move in a certain way, and you see it in the spirit but could not anything because others might or will try to stop you???

Owen, nah

In a sense they say whoever is conducting the service is in control, and therefore the spirit is subject to the prophet.

Thats one reason why Linda was told by someone before to hold it, this isnt the right time....They figure if God gave you the message then you shouldnt lose it by waiting until given permission.

Right or wrong things were done that way in the old church sometimes and therefore some people are still in that line of thinking today, as you can see they told her.

In my case, it was at our bishops church, and in that instance the person in charge for whatever reasons didnt feel it was appropriate at the time or didnt want that one, so long story short the interpretation was shut down.

I left knowing I had spoken what I heard, so I didnt feel bad about it

Still by our obedience in willing to do what ever it is that the Lord would have us do. We are being trained and raised up to be prepared for a time that God will use us. More and more from seed to fruition to harvest. I believe we shouldnt be wearyof well doing and I know God is calling us out from among those who do not truly believe in Gods power. We have victory in Christ when we stay in His light and His way and His love. I am praying for a break through for the children of God...for true freedom...not just in knowing in our minds that we have this freedom but the freedom that demonstrates ~ freedom witnessed by others in the doing ~ the action....the following the Holy Spirit to the park to witness to the lost impromptu...filled with passion and faith not timid, but filled with God's light and love and hope and strength....
that kind of freedom.
I pray that we have a break out....that we kick down the invisiable door and go~
For every man who partakes only of the milk (knowing the word of God but not walking the word of God) is unskilled in the word of righteousness for he is a baby. But soid food (doing the word of God) belongs to those who are of full age, that is, who by reason of use (doing) have their senses excercised to discern both good and evil. Hebrew 5 11-12 : amen

God is my covering...If I am moved by the Holy spirit to speak by the Holy Spirit...Who would stop me?

Amen Linda

I dont have a problem going forth in my own church. They are so well taught though. If there is an instance where you miss it or whatever, they full well will know it. Thats the scary part.. going into a series of tongues in the spirit and not knowing what Ill hear if anything at all

The doing I dont mind, as Ive prayed a many a times.. Lord if you want me to speak anything just give me what to say and how to say it

Have you ever asked God about the purpose to why you are there? He gave you gifts to be able to operate in them...not to be muzzled. I was in a church that muzzled me. My worship has always been free flowing...meaning, I have a list of songs that are planned, but if the Holy Spirit speaks to me and gives me a different song, then I flowed with it. Whenever I did that, I would get reprimanded and told that the songs were already planned and I needed to "stick to the list". I "obeyed" because I was taught that you never stand up against the authority in the church. After awhile, my spirit became grieved and I became numb to how God used me in worship. Then truth came to me through other measures and God opened up His Word to me. When that happened, he released me from the church with the understanding that man cannot and will not stop or muzzle the gift He's placed inside of me.

Now, I'm in a church that flows the way God designed me to flow. I'm not singing yet, but I'm operating in other areas of the church...areas that I didn't know I had in me because I was in the wrong church and God couldn't manifest these gifts and calls in my life there.

Our gifts may be needed in our churches, but if they are shut down...that doesn't make them null and void or cause us to sit on them. God will take you where your gift can be utilized. I'm reminded of a scripture that is in one of the gospels that says...a prophet is not honored in his own home.

Praying for everyone...I can be touched!

Dear Chollette, that is wisdom...a time for training and then a time for release to the place that God would have you. I also experienced what you are describing...praise God He is placing His children where He wants them. Prayers for you KDRE...that when it is time to for you to move or expand..by tthe Holy Spirit you will hear and know...praise God.

Cholette

Im not muzzled where I am. My Pastor will allow it, he believes in the gifts working in the church.

I'd say this though, I dont think i'd ever want to be a member of that guys congregation because I see first hand his ministry is not for me

Thank You Linda.. yes because when its time I don't want to hold back a thing!

KDRE, I wasn't using the word "muzzled" regarding your situation...I was using that in reference to MY experience. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Yes Ma'am I know it.. but in a sense thats exactly what he tried to do to me that night.

There was a thing in the old old church that they had if someone stood up and testified for too long, or whatever the case they would start singing blood songs, and depending if the person wouldn't stop or not, they'd sing louder because they felt as if that person wasn't obedient to the spirit.

Right or wrong people in the old church did things like that. I think he tried to do something similar to me, but in that case God was really trying to move and he shut that all down to give his announcements or move the service along or whatever it was he did. He was the MC afterall.

LOL yes, but not just any testimony, it was when people started going off or were out of order. That pretty much got their attention and they would sit down knowing they were out of order.

Now I never saw it happen but I've heard alot about it.
..In my case the guy starts singing some old slow song to quiet things down, so I sat down eventually and so did everyone else including the spirit, which was very high at the time

I always imagine though what Paul would say if he saw some of the things going on in our churches nowadays.

Yes, things are not too great right now. I'm in much prayer for our churches. I go to a really good one now and in my heart before, I didn't think a church like this existed. It's not perfect by no means, but they allow God to be God. It's barely a year old, but they operate like they've been around for ages. There are some REALLY good churches out there that are holding things together. I just think that religion has knocked the wind out of the church. Everyone wants to go by the "letter of the law" and not the "spirit" of it. This is one of the things that grieves me to no end and I pray for people I know who are caught up in it. They don't leave out of fear of what people will say. I was like that at first because I was in my former church for over 20 years. WHen I left, it was like a messy divorce...but it's something that I had to do in order for God to do with my life what I've been crying out for Him to do.

Prayer is needed for all the leadership in our churches because they are human and many of them just don't know. Maybe it's from the way they were taught coming up, or just fear of going in the direction of something different and against the norm...not sure. All I know is we must pray and stand until we see change.

I am following this thread, and every reply is very interesting.

I have been thinking about this question for last few months. The questions are....

Do you need to stay in a church where you can not be able to use you gift nor grow spiritually in your calling and giftings?

Do you need to wait God's signal to leave?

How would you know that it is time to leave?

Or another option would be...

Do you have to pray and wait till God will open their eyes and see your gift and be able to minister? (thier refers to the church leaders)

Or do you need to explain to them that you can do this and you have this gifts, and you want to minister using them? (of course, this should be done in a right motive, not self promotion)

I believe serious christians who are really seeking God and His kingdom, enivitably, must face these questions in order to be fruitful in the church and walk in his calling.

The streets are calling for evangelist and the streets are free for the taking....When it is time to fly it is time to fly...Truly it is the Holy Spirit in us that will let us know. We can't be moved by fear...(as I have experienced in the past). So I pray for us all here to know what it is that God is doing in our lives and that conviciton

I know God did say go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father th Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded and lo I am with you even unto the end of the age.

Owen, your questions are valid.

I will say this to you...God speaks differently to different people. I was looking for God to say "thus saith the Lord" to me, before I left the church. How I knew God was telling ME to leave was that I no longer was growing and the word no longer confirmed ANYTHING that God was speaking to me. At first I thought that *I* was off some where and I was beating myself up, thinking that I needed to get back on track some place in my life. As I began reading the Word of God, it jumped out at me that I am free and God never intended for me to be in a church where I felt more abused then I did lifted. I liken it to an abusive relationship...we are quick to tell women (and some men) that they need to leave relationships when they are being verbally or physically abused, but we are slow to tell people to leave when it's a known fact that they are being abused in the church.

Now, I'm NOT saying that if you are disgruntled in your church then you are being abused...but in MY CASE there was some abuse there because I was REQUIRED and FORCED to do things that I KNEW God wasn't calling me to do. I was FORCED to do things MAN'S way when God was specifically telling me to do things another way. I was in confusion and it was frustrating me and causing a rift in my relationship with the Lord, to a certain extent.

The more we are in the Word of God, the more God does certain things in our hearts and our mindsets and we began seeing things differently. There are WAY TOO MANY people dying without Jesus in this world for me to sit in a church and be controlled by a man made doctrine or rules and regulations that were taken way out of context. God made this walk with him easy...that's why He sent Jesus...to give us a life of enjoyment and life more abundantly. When I'm not experiencing that, I quickly go to God and see what needs to be done in me FIRST and then check my surroundings and/or what I'm listening to.

I believe in the church...but I believe in the RIGHT CHURCH...the church that is teaching the uncomprising gospel of Jesus Christ. It seems that the church has left Jesus out of the picture and has started preaching about behavior change and money...yet the world is dying. Behavior and money has its place, but it shouldn't be taught WITHOUT the understanding of the finished work of Jesus Christ. There are some things that he completed for us already, yet we are striving for it to no avail. We need to STOP and get in the Word of God and allow the Holy SPirit to teach us. We can't take everyone's word for everything.

I almost let the leadership of my church to stifle my gifts. I thought I only had one gift...worshipping...but I'm a teacher, preacher, counselor and now have a deliverance ministry...who knew that????? I'm getting groomed to operate in each one of these offices and it's happening FAST!! God needs to accelerate me because I've been stuck for so long.

So I will end this sermonette by saying...PRAY and seek God in the way HE SPEAKS TO YOU. If you are unhappy in your church...SEEK HIM! Don't leave just because you are unhappy because that could just be your flesh. If you are unhappy to your core...seek the Lord and let him lead and guide you...PLEASE!!!!!

One more thing (sorry)...you asked if a person needed to go to leadership and let them know you operate in certain gifts. IN MY OPINION...and the way *I* do it is...I don't say a word. I have always walked in the scripture that says that our gifts will make room for us and bring us before great men. If we have gifts that GOD gave us...trust me...he has a way to get us where we need to be. When I stepped foot in my new church, I didn't need to open up my mouth...my Pastor KNEW already. He came to me and the first thing He said to me when I was introduced to him was..."A woman with many gifts, but hasn't had the opportunity to walk in them". I never had to push my way...God met me at the door, but I had to be in the place HE wanted me to be in before they could be birthed. This is how it happened FOR ME...just thought I would share.

Chollette, I love this scripture, where can I find it? , "our gifts will make room for us and bring us before great men." I love it.

I too went through very similar experiences in a church that I attended for a dozen yours or so. When I left and could see in retrospect...There was abuse in power going on and slowly crippling the moving of the spirit for quite some time.

Having a group of Christians in your life that do not all attend your fellowship is a good thing. A few trusted mature friends can really be a blessing in times like that.

God Bless.

Owen...yes all those questions were the same questions that I once had in my situation as well. It was a real struggle wanting to do what God wanted and wanting to have confirmation to know absolutely.

In my case, after months of wondering and praying... I left for six weeks to have a baby and when I went back half the church was gone as a split had taken place.

My situation was a lot like Chollette in that some abuse was going on...like abuse in power and lack of God's divine order....
human jealousy getting in the way of God's gifts free flowing to bless the body.....

It is all a growing and learning experience like every trial that we go through. It is painful while we are in it.

Linda

Proverbs 18:16

Cholette, well stated.. because alot of people have left churches lying on God saying he told them to leave while the leaders knew full and well they didnt hear that from God, but they leave anway. Very well said

I also believe a true leader that has the spirit of God will recognized the gifts in you and allow God to function because it helps the church praise God!

Ah my statement in retrospect isnt clear. I have been stopped from speaking a prophetic word from God, (by the authority in the church) before. It is a humbling experience every time but I know God uses these experiences for His Glory in the long run.
When I say "who can stop me?
What I am meaning is, if a man stops me from sharing a word from God...who is he? When God is telling me

"GO" and God is telling me "Speak Now" and the words are practiacally spilling out.....still I have been taught that order is honoring God. I dont want to trip up a brother or sister in the Lord and I dont want to be out of order. I am at peace now but I went through this training for quite some time until God led me to a place that practiced the sharing of gifts in the fellowship....with a sensitivity to the leading of the Holy Spirit. The whole time I was being tested and changed not to have any aught against my brother and to stay in Christ, not be judgmentan and critical of others. Sometimes it is a fine line to know when to stay and when to move.

There is not condemnation in CHrist Jesus.

Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers, will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:20
Another way God talks to us is through difficulties....it is not a cliche' it is the truth. :)