Signs of a Prophets Calling

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Signs of a Prophets Calling

Post by KDRE on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:07 pm

I ran across this article and figured I'd share it. I was reading The Prophets Dictionary and found some parts in there I'd like to post as well but Ill post this article right now for the time being.... tell me your thoughts

If your desire to move into the prophetic ministry is one of glamour, recognition and self-exaltation, then you are off the mark. Not only that, you are sincerely deceived, because the call to the prophetic ministry is a call to death, not glory. The preparation and qualifications for becoming a prophet are unlike any other ministry, except for the apostle. You have to be a failure before you can be of use. You have to have learned that you cannot trust in yourself.

With all of these things in mind, then, let me try to give you a few possible signs of the prophetic call on your life. These do not necessarily mean you are called to be a prophet, and they might not all be there if you are called. But if you are called to be a prophet, then you are likely to see a fair portion of them in your life and experience. Some of these signs apply to any major calling to the ministry. Some are specific to the prophetic ministry.
Sign No 1

A desire has been burning in you for a long time to minister to the Body of Christ. This is not a passing fancy but something that has burned in you for a while. It is not so much a desire to bring unbelievers to know the Lord, but more a desire to help believers in their daily walk. It might be a desire to warn people of certain dangers. It might be a desire to encourage and lift believers up. Whichever direction it takes, this thing has taken hold of you and will not let go.

The call of God comes from God and not you. All you can produce in yourself is sin. Paul says in Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing: for I really want to [do good] ; but [how] to practice that which is good I find impossible.

The desire to do the work of God is planted by God and grows over a period of time. If you desire to do something for Godís glory then it must have come from Him. If it does not fade over time then it is not an emotional fantasy but something real.
Sign No 2

Not many people are likely to share your enthusiasm for what you want to do. They may warn you to be careful, to calm down. They might even accuse you of being paranoid. They might tell you not to Ďrock the boat.í You may have begun to wonder if this thing is of the Lord.

Your ministry is unique, so do not expect others to share your burden. The fact that you want to do something different could be proof that this desire is from the Lord. The Lord tends to hide His prophets away until they are ready. So do not expect others to quickly recognize your call, unless you have ministered to them personally. If you have been rejected, ostracized or accused of going against the general flow, then there is a good chance that the early signs of the prophetic ministry have started to show.
Sign No 3

Your desire is other-oriented. You are not so much concerned with making a name for yourself as you are with helping other people. You will gladly give up things that are important to you so that other people may benefit from your actions. The prophetic ministry, like the apostolic ministry requires a total commitment to the work of the Lord.

Ministry is servant hood and is likely to cost you a lot. If your desire is not to help others then it is not a calling to ministry. Jesus said in Matthew 20:27-28 27 And whoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: 28 Even as the Son of man did not come to be ministered to, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many

You must be prepared to pay the price before you can enter it. If your desire is not for the good of others, you have not yet even entered the door.
Sign No 4

Over a period of time you have found yourself ministering to a particular area of need more than others. It seems that you always end up ministering to believers who need encouragement and direction in their lives. And when you do something happens inside you and you sense a surge taking place. You may find yourself telling people which way they should go and what Godís purpose is for them.

The Lord prepares you for ministry by creating opportunities for you. Often you will not be aware of this. You only know that you feel content ministering to believers and helping them, to set their lives and ministries in order. These are all signposts showing you the way.
Sign No 5

People have told you that you have helped them, even when at times you have not been aware of it. Sometimes others can see your ministry more clearly than you can see it yourself. Solomon said in Proverbs 18:16 A manís gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men

If you have a prophetic calling you will not be able to hide it indefinitely. It will start to show itself in time and others will begin to notice it.
Sign No 6

You feel unqualified to do the work of the Lord and usually feel unworthy to push yourself forward to suggest that you be given an opportunity. When appeals are made for help you wait for everyone else to step forward first before you offer your services.

Humility is a sure sign of your genuineness. The Spirit of God always leads gently. He is likened to a dove, that is meek and easily frightened away. Jesus is called the Lamb of God. A lamb is also a gentle creature that does not push its way. Since the call comes gently, you may even wonder at times if you heard right.
Sign No 7

The key ministry of a prophet is intercessory prayer. If you find yourself being led to spend a lot of time interceding for others and you have had times when you have been very clearly led and have seen definite results, the elements of a prophetic ministry are certainly there. The prophet is the key to what God does in the earth. God said in the Old Testament that He does nothing unless He first reveals His secret to the prophets.

If you have been led to pray things into existence or birth them in the Spirit through intercessory prayer, then your prophetic ministry is already starting to manifest.
Sign No 8

The prophet is sensitive to the moving of Godís Spirit and has the ability to bring the anointing into a meeting. This is often seen in musical capability or a particular ability to lead effectively in praise and worship. If you have been effectively involved in leading the congregation in praise and worship and can cause the anointing of the Spirit to come upon a group when you lead, this can certainly be very clear evidence of a prophetic ministry in operation.
Sign No 9

If you are called to be a prophet, then your preparation will span many years and will be one of the most difficult and troublesome processes. The prophet will be battered and broken and brought to nothing in himself before he can be of any use to the Kingdom of God. He will have to learn not to trust in himself or in his own abilities. His knowledge and natural strengths will be tried in the fire and brought to naught before God can use him.

If your life has been one of intense problems, failures, oppositions, persecutions and pressure, then this could be a sign of preparation for the prophetic ministry. I have yet to meet a prophet who has had life of smooth sailing, easy success and personal recognition. As I said earlier, the prophetic call is a call to death. Like the apostle, the prophet must have the sentence of death in himself. He must sacrifice all for the sake of the ministry. He must die completely to self.

Well these are the main signpost to help you clarify whether the Lord has called you to be a prophet or not. Of course the best confirmation will always come through another prophet. God often calls a prophet to the ministry using a senior prophet, and even his training might come under the direction of one who has been in the prophetic office for a while.

(Great article reprinted from the Internet)

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Signs of a Prophets Calling

Post by daphanie02 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Wow that was really good! Thank you for sharing! I love what the author said about having to go through many sufferings and die to themselves before God can use them. Its so true! We must learn to depend on HIm, going through trials teaches us humility.

Thanks again for sharing! thumbs

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:06 pm

No problem... it definitely confirmed some things for myself as well

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:11 am

That was totally awesome! I have some praying to do. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I will be saving that so I can refer to it again later. God bless

Love in Jesus,

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by christi85 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:57 pm

If your life has been one of intense problems, failures, oppositions, persecutions and pressure, then this could be a sign of preparation for the prophetic ministry.
this is not fun. hiding Can I be like Jonah and be His most successful prophet ever (besides Jesus)?

To God from Shamu's stomach:
Dear Abba,
I'll go to Nineveh!!!!! Thank you Father for this amazing opportunity to see the inside of a whale belly. This has been great. Really it has. I can't tell you how wonderful Nemo's company has been and the scent of digestive juices. . . better than a yankee candle store!
:jesusfish: I've taught Nemo how to sing this little light of mine whistle. You'd really enjoy it Abba! However, he's told me he'll only sing it for you if the whale spits us up on shore. PRAISE THE LORD, BLESS THE LORD, HALLELUJAH, oh God... antagonize thanks nemo, HALLELUJAH! Thank ya Lord, Glory tah God! Glory tah God!
praiseGod
Prepare the sack-cloth for the cattle! I'm on my way. Trust me, I'll be happy about their repentance! Who would want a firework display when you could watch cow's cry their little eyes out for mercy about that time they continually disobeyed, grazing from the forbidden pasture.
sweet dreams 2
I'll take that any day over a structure fire any day! Can I get ah-amen?

I thank you in advance for the Gourd, it's yours, I'm yours... nothing is mine and your faithfulness is beyond compare. Looking forward to the sandy shore and I promise not to build any houses on it! Sincerely, Christi.

christi85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by christi85 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:31 pm

daphanie02 wrote:Wow that was really good! Thank you for sharing! I love what the author said about having to go through many sufferings and die to themselves before God can use them. Its so true! We must learn to depend on HIm, going through trials teaches us humility.

Thanks again for sharing! thumbs

Definitely, about the dieing to self.

It's like if you've been given the awesome responsibility of speaking whats on God's heart, it's so important for there to be as little of you and your thoughts in the word/message/revelation as possible. You've got to be able to completely shut yourself off and say/go/do whatever He tells you, no matter how stupid it may seem to your natural mind or how dumb it might sound to the person/people your supposed to deliver the message to and no matter how much it may cost you. :-( Definitely not an easy price to pay. People think of sacrifice so often in terms of finances but that doesn't even scratch the surface of what God's idea of sacrifice is!

christi85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Butterfly on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Just last night I began to accept that God may not have given me the gift that I asked for and have been believing for and trying to walk in.... I don't think he has given me the gift of healing - even though I asked and it is on my heart and my hands were annointed with oil (by another who has operated in healing)

I have no idea why he would choose me for prophecy, but it seems that he may have given/be training me in and for this gift. When I read: "You have to be a failure before you can be of use. You have to have learned that you cannot trust in yourself." I felt myself go "aha" and I allowed myself to read the rest of the post with an open heart - there is much there which I can say yes to. Oh dear!

Oh dear!

Grey Butterfly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi Grey Butterfly...

Just because you may not have the "GIFT" of healing, doesn't mean you can't lay hands on the sick and they recover. We have been commanded to lay hands and pray for the sick. We are in the "Greater works" era because of the powerful gift of the Holy Spirit.

I just wanted to say this to you so you wouldn't pass up someone just because you feel you don't have "THE GIFT". Yes, there are those who are called specifically to heal and have supernatural fruits to follow, but we ALL are called to pray and EXPECT for the manifestations.

Prophecy is a GOOD thing because when you speak a timely word to someone, it can bring a different type of healing...the inner healing that the recepient needs. The Bible says that God sends His Word to HEAL. So even though the GIFT of healing may not be your portion...Prophecy is a different type of healing. God is good!!!!!

Do not fight FOR victory, but fight FROM THE PLACE of victory. Jesus has ALREADY won the battle!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Butterfly on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi Cholette,

Thanks, that is a great reminder :o)

I know that seeing people healed spiritually or in their mind and heart is sooo much more satisfying for me - and I think God has deliberately driven my walk this way because he knows me well.

I will continue to pray for people to be healed... but I think God has withheld healing for the people I have prayed for in this period of time so that I would not get confused and go off on a tangent. Perhaps, now that I know this is not to be my major gift, he will grant healing when I ask because it is not now going to make me think I am going to be used in this way (any more than any Christian who believes God will do as he promises would be used in this way)

You are right, prophecy is a gift of Healing... it is just a different type of healing, and it is so much more in keeping with who I am, and so I can see God's hand (even though the word Prophet frightens me) and I truly agree, God is good!!!!

Thanks, Diane :o)

Grey Butterfly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:32 pm

Amen on that Cholette

God can use us all in whichever anointing or office he wills if thats just what the people need.

We really do serve a great God!

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Grey Butterfly wrote:I will continue to pray for people to be healed... but I think God has withheld healing for the people I have prayed for in this period of time so that I would not get confused and go off on a tangent. Perhaps, now that I know this is not to be my major gift, he will grant healing when I ask because it is not now going to make me think I am going to be used in this way (any more than any Christian who believes God will do as he promises would be used in this way)

God won't withhold the FINISHED work of his healing from others in order to keep you from 'going off on a tangent'...that's not His character. When you pray, whether you have the gift of healing or not, they will recover if THEY believe...it has nothing to do with you...you are just an instrument.

I don't mean to harp on this, but I have to say this because many people NEED healing in their bodies and in their minds/emotions and the church...US...are needed to go and set the captives free. It's NOT about us. God won't withhold healing from someone else to teach YOU a lesson...He has other ways of training us than to make someone else suffer.

Do not fight FOR victory, but fight FROM THE PLACE of victory. Jesus has ALREADY won the battle!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:30 pm

KDRE wrote:Amen on that Cholette

God can use us all in whichever anointing or office he wills if thats just what the people need.

We really do serve a great God!

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Butterfly on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:28 am

I do believe that God can use me/us in whatever way he chooses... absolutely. So, what you are saying is that the people I prayed for, who did not get healed did not have enough faith? Perhaps. I don't know what they hold in their hearts. That is a question that is linked to a whole lot of sadness - why don't people get healed.... but that would also be hijacking this subject :o)

For now, I am feeling led to explore dreams and learn about prophecy from him... I will always pray for someone who is sick, knowing that he heals... and I might be his hands for this person.

Everyone is different and not everyone will be GIFTED in healing... though he can use us all... just as the gift of prophecy is not for everyone.

But, I agree - healing is needed so very badly... it was why I asked for the gift :o)

Maybe I am wrong to put it down now... time will tell I guess. Thanks for your advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Diane.

Grey Butterfly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:54 am

GB

Its not that people dont have faith... sometimes God heals some, and some he doesnt. If you read James its says Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Those highlighted verses show us first off that any healings is of God's will himself, and any sin in the person's life will be forgiven as well.

Some people are sick because they harbor unforgiveness, or wont repent, and other things we may never know but God does.

I said that to let you know sometimes its important to get rid of the problem before that type of healing takes place. A prophetic ministry can minister directly to a person's heart to deal with issues that need healing/ministering to first to prepare them for something such as a testimony of healing.

I sit under a ministry where my pastor is gifted in healing... I do desire it for the sake of the people, but its not the main one because other gifts are needed as well.

One things for sure, they're all equally important to the body

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deborah on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:35 am

Thank you for posting this. I've heard it before, but I needed to hear it again, especially this part:
If your life has been one of intense problems, failures, oppositions, persecutions and pressure, then this could be a sign of preparation for the prophetic ministry. I have yet to meet a prophet who has had life of smooth sailing, easy success and personal recognition. As I said earlier, the prophetic call is a call to death. Like the apostle, the prophet must have the sentence of death in himself. He must sacrifice all for the sake of the ministry. He must die completely to self.

Deborah
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamster on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:30 pm

this has been mi life .. D

dreamster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:16 am

Excellent post Cholette. How many of you know that all Ministries are healing ministries. Anything that edifies the body of Christ is a healing. Do you not realize that this ministry has healing. We heal the spirit. Some heal the captive and that is a healing, some heal the knowledge of understanding so they may know God more and that is healing. Some cast out spirits and that is healing, some pray for others and that is healing. We are all being healed by the grace of the Lord Jesus and that healing starts when we come to know the Lord and accept him. We are born again in the spirit....which is a healing. That healing continues on through our lives and in our relationship through Christ. We then begin to heal and help to heal others in the same way. I pray that we all realize that. The Lord showed this to me some time ago and it was a huge revelation to me.

Love in Jesus,

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Ill add this.. it must be apart of my own life because some things just hurt to the core

I more than most around me notice the rejection of the calling in churches in general

I promise I almost want to just melt in my chair everytime someone only classifies apostles as the disciples who saw Christ, and not as it is defined, one sent with a message. I understand there are phony's out there but its pretty bad

Then the prophet. I have never seen a more despised office of the 5 that is more often than any other talked about more negatively

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by traveller on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:41 pm

I have never seen a more despised office of the 5 that is more often than any other talked about more negatively
I think that's part of the rejection a prophet often experiences, but that's why it's good to remember it's about being sent by God, regardless if people accept the prophet or not.
God bless you!

traveller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Yes, I just realized it fully as I continue to see what I see, and hear what people say.

Amazing the very thing we long for we reject it at the same time. Go figure

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:33 pm

KDRE wrote:Ill add this.. it must be apart of my own life because some things just hurt to the core

I more than most around me notice the rejection of the calling in churches in general

I promise I almost want to just melt in my chair everytime someone only classifies apostles as the disciples who saw Christ, and not as it is defined, one sent with a message. I understand there are phony's out there but its pretty bad

Then the prophet. I have never seen a more despised office of the 5 that is more often than any other talked about more negatively

This is what I have realized over the recent years. The body of Christ is caught up on "titles". We are ALLLL ministers, but there are those who are in the pulpit and are leaders. My former pastor used to say "I'm not the most important person in the church, I'm the most visable".

I think we have to destroy the "levels" of importance, when it comes to the calls. The Bible says that EACH JOINT supplies the need of the other. No one gift can function without the others functioning.

My thing is this...if you are a prophet, just prophesy. If you are an Apostle...just go!!! I can't stand the fact that, in these days, people HAVE TO BE CALLED BY THEIR CALLING!!! Why do you HAVE TO BE called "Prophet so and so" or "Apostle so and so". This is the reason why I BELIEVE that these offices are rejected...because so many of them have become arrogant in the call. They are "wearing" the call instead of "being" the call. When you wear it, you want everyone to see it. It turns people off, more than they will say. When you do good and you do it on behalf of God to help others, you won't be rejected. Of course there is the kingdom of darkness that works overtime to discredit the gifts and calls, but OVERALL...when we just DO what we are called to do, without bringing so much attention to it, there is a graciousness and a beauty about what you do.

Yes, it's the "bad ones" that give the bad name and make the "good ones" suffer, but if we can just stop putting SO MUCH glory on the people with the gifts and more glory to the CREATOR of the gift, then things will get better...in my most HUMBLED opinion!

**off my soapbox now**

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:50 pm

I agree Cholette I do believe alot of the title thumping along with burning people has turned alot of folks off, I cannot agree.

I do think though that someone's position can carry a certain amount of respect or authority, such as a pastor. They're given to us to feed us and watch for our souls. In that case they are very important to us in this aspect and should be respected as such, but as I told my men's Sunday school class... serving the church and under leadership is best when you reverence God in the right perspective (making him #1) and not necessarily the person. If you respect God you'll respect his people, and problem solved with the isms of the whole matter.

That said as a body we all matter just as much as the next, as Paul stated so well and same as you above here thumbs

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:10 pm

KDRE wrote:I do think though that someone's position can carry a certain amount of respect or authority, such as a pastor. They're given to us to feed us and watch for our souls. In that case they are very important to us in this aspect and should be respected as such

I so agree with this statement, if only we can RESPECT and not WORSHIP! This is where things go left.

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:28 pm

and with that statement i have your offering ready lol

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:14 pm

KDRE wrote:and with that statement i have your offering ready lol

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:21 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top