Is it ok to ask for confirmation from God?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it ok to ask for confirmation from God?

Post by daphanie02 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:41 am

As some of you know, I asked for confirmation ALOT when I felt the Lord was telling me that my husband was "THE ONE" through dreams and visions. Marriage is a big deal and I wanted to be sure! Well I found a passage in the bible that supports the fact that it really is ok to ask for more and more confirmation from God. However, there must be a point that we all come to where we have to get out of our boat and take the believers step of faith toward the goal God has for us.

Here is what I found. :book:

In Judges an angel of the Lord appeared before Gideon and told him that God was going to use him to deliver the Isrealites from the Midianites. Gideon asked for a sign (or confirmation) that it was indeed the Lord speaking to him. The sign was supernaturally given and Gideon was left standing in awe that he had seen the Lord (or an angel of the Lord) face to face. :jawdrop:

However, he still had some doubts and wanted to be 100% sure this was the Lord calling him because Gideon viewed himself as the weakest and least of his people. He asked yet again for more signs of confirmation. Judges 6:36 Gideon said to God, "If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised- look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said." And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew—a bowlful of water. Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew." That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew. praiseGod

God knew Gideon had some fears after he gathered his army of 300 men and prepared them for battle. God told him "Get up, go down against the camp, because I am going to give it into your hands. If you are afraid to attack, go down to the camp with your servant Purah and listen to what they are saying. Afterward, you will be encouraged to attack the camp." (Judges 7) Gideon arrived just as a man was telling a friend his dream. "I had a dream," he was saying. "A round loaf of barley bread came tumbling into the Midianite camp. It struck the tent with such force that the tent overturned and collapsed." His friend responded, "This can be nothing other than the sword of Gideon son of Joash, the Israelite. God has given the Midianites and the whole camp into his hands." When Gideon heard the dream and its interpretation, he worshiped God.
:PTL:
He returned to the camp of Israel and called out, "Get up! The LORD has given the Midianite camp into your hands." (Judges 7)

Was God angry with Gideon for asking for confirmation? Did he strike him down or decide not to use him because he asked for confirmation? No, He continued to provide even more encouragement even when Gideon didn't ask for it because He knows we are made of flesh. I believe most people are afraid that asking for confirmation shows lack of faith. On the contrary, if God gives us so many confirmations, when doubt rears it's ugly head, it will have already been defeated because we have already been encouraged by God! happy dance

Abundant blessings to all of you!

love,

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it ok to ask for confirmation from God?

Post by butterfly on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:48 am

Daphanie, yesterday the thought came to me how Gideon asked God to confirm certain things to him and how God responded to him. I have personally always been afraid of asking God to confirm certain things to me because I was afraid of his reaction. But know I realize that God is not going to be upset with me if I do ask him to confirm things.

Thank you Daphanie for posting this teaching. It was very helpful and I am very grateful. :clap:

butterfly
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:01 am

WONDERFUL!!!! Thanks for the reply butterfly! Im glad it helped!
:smile:

love

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cholette on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:01 am

Okay Daph, you are all in the personal time I had with God a couple of days ago. I wrote a question in my journal that said "Lord, why is it that I just don't believe you when you show me something? I know You are all powerful and I know You can do anything, but why don't I believe you?" His response was that it's not that I don't believe Him, it's that I don't feel worthy to RECEIVE what He has promised me.

This story of Gideon is just the story I needed to back up what God said to me because I am just like Gideon...viewing myself as the weakest and the least...WOW!!! I am now changing my thinking by changing my confession.

We are ALL worthy to receive whatever God is speaking and showing to us because of Jesus Christ. We have to KNOW who we are IN HIM because IN HIM is where all the promises are received.

This proves God's love for us because just like Gideon, God had SO MUCH patience with Him and told him "to listen to what they are saying" so he could gather the confidence he needed to FIGHT!!! OH MY...what a MIGHTY GOD we serve!!!!

Thanks for sharing this Daph...I forgot all about this story of Gideon. Looks like I'm going to be studying this on my lunch today. flower

Cholette

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks Cholette! Yes that really is a marvolous read! I got a lot out of reading it last night! Thanks for your reply!

love

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Daph,

When the Lord called me to ministry I asked for like 11 confirmations...LOL,LOL, how funny is that. You know the Lord is so sweat he just confirmed it each time.

God is good all the time!

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 am

Amen Connie, Thank you for sharing that!

love,

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Desiree (Starpop) on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:46 pm

you know Daph,
I grew up around a family that used to tell me, "All you have to do is ask God for something ONCE and He will hear you...there's no need to keep asking". So as you've mentioned I felt it was a lack of faith on my part to keep asking for confirmation. You are right, God does know that we are but flesh (which is mentioned in Psalm) and because he calls us our friends (like his disciples) he desires to keep telling us things as much as we need to know (if you want to ask your friend something don't you keep asking to make sure in real life?lol)...I love God so much and I am so glad that he is no respect of person...what he does for one he will do for another (just like in Bible days!! praise God!)
smooches and thanks for your post! Every answer we need is in God's word!
desiree

Desiree (Starpop)
Supporting Member/Moderator
Supporting Member/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:13 pm

Amen Desiree!

love,

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CeeBee on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:31 am

Wow, this really helps. Because I thought asking for confirmation would mean I have no faith in the Lord.
Thank God I know thats not true. flower

CeeBee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RnestseekR on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Daph: A couple of months ago I was wondering the same thing - is it OK to ask for confirmation? I'd like to add one more thing to your teaching: Christians (OK, I/me) get confused about the verse that says not to question any more from the Lord or not to seek confirmation. I WISH I could remember the verse - I'm SO bad about that! But that particular verse that people quote about not seeking further confirmation from God is directed at UNBELIEVERS! To unbelievers, he says not to question him further or to ask for more confirmation in regards to his existence, His love, His divinity, etc. He's already given unbelievers SO MANY signs and confirmations of His Love and His Kingship that if they will not believe given all the signs of nature etc., seeking further confirmation will not sway their heart either.
I'd also like to add to your excellent points, that John the Baptist even questioned (Luke 7:18-23)- not just the call on his life, but about Jesus. Jesus responded with love and answered directly because John was a believer. I think Jesus KNOWS that when we are in our personal prisons, like John, our vision, focus and certainty are GONE. BUT, when we KNOW who to come to to get back that certainty/focus/vision, He responds with love and guidance.

On a similar note, my bible also says this about John 8:46, 47: "In a number of places Jesus intentionally challenged his listeners to test him. He welcomed those who wanted to question his claims and character as long as they were willing to follow through on what they discovered. Jesus' challenge clarifies the 2 most frequent resons that people miss when encountering him: 1.) they never accept his challenge to test him, or 2.) They test him but are not willing to believe what they discover.

RnestseekR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:30 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top