What helps you remember your dreams? Plus Tips..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What helps you remember your dreams? Plus Tips..

Post by daphanie02 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:07 pm

I just wanted to share what helps me remember my dreams and see if anyone had any tips they wanted to share as well.

1. Write it down.
I've kept a journal online, a handwritten journal, and also waking up at night when i have them to write down random thoughts or bits of dreams down on a piece of paper by lamplight. You can also keep a journal on your computer if you have Word, or online by going to yahoogroups and creating your own group but make it private so others cant view them. That way your dreams are always dated when you send them and you cant alter or edit them so they stay the way you posted them in case you want to prove you dreamed a certain something. I've done that :)

2. Voice recorder.
I have a handy voice recorder that i sleep with sometimes and record the dream AS i wake up from it sometimes at 2 in the morning or even 30 min after i've fallen asleep. It very difficult to do this becasue you are having to fight your body to record a dream. But if you've never done it YOU SHOULD because you wont regret it! There are things you can say in your half sleep you NEVER would have remembered if you hadnt. And saying to yourself "I will remember that surely." Doesnt always work!

3. Take notes on other devices.
If you have a spouse that is a cranky sleeper and doesnt like to be disrupted by hearing your voice, or even your scribbling by lamplight, try the memo app on your phone! I do this all the time because it startles my hubby when i wake him up talking or even switch on a soft lamp light suddenly. The buttons on my phone are silent so it doesnt bother him. Also i warn him before i go to bed as to what I'm going to use to take notes. Also i sometimes use the Notepad app on my sons ipod touch. I try and use simple and key words that will help me remember and so i can go to sleep as soon as possible. Its important to get the dreams in your journal as soon as possible though because you will forget! I find notes on my phone all the time about a dream i had three days ago and i have to delete it because ive waited too long and have forgotten entirely what it was. :hairraising:

4.If you forgot....
One thing thats helped me remember a dream from the night before or even dreams that I had a week ago is by first praying, and then while being extrememly exhausted I will take a hot bath and rest my eyes. The dream and feelings from a forgotten dream flood back to me like i had just had it. It works! Also when im heading for bed and i rest my eyes and i ask God about a forgotten dream, it comes back to me always when im exhausted.

Side note: Try asking for the interpretation of the dream while you are sleeping :) sometimes i get the answer right then and there like Daniel did. He would get a dream or vision and then ask the nearest person (or angel) what it meant. LOL but be careful because sometimes you will get a symbolic answer! So its always best to get confirmation from God to ease any confusion! Sometimes i have like 12 or more dreams a night and i find it takes me all day just to write them all down with all the responsibilities I have. Its just not practical for me to do that anymore, but i did it for about 2 months straight as a study and I tell you, GOd showed me so much about the way He speaks to me at night. so if you get a chance to write every single dream you can remember every day for two months, DO IT! Go back over the dreams days later and write down the manifestations :)

Ok so anyone else have any tips that help you remember your dreams? :nite:

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02
Supporting Member/Senior Coordinator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What helps you remember your dreams? Plus Tips..

Post by John7 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks for the post daphanie

Yes I have started writing my dreams down in the last couple of months. As I only started to realize recently that God was speaking to me regularly through dreams, I have found that writing them down in a small excercise book has helped me alot.

Sometimes I dont get an interpretation for quiet a while after the actual dream has occured, and I must admit, I find this quiet frustrating and have even got angry with God, because I felt like I was being teased. Maybe its because I'm a guy with very little patience, I'm sure you ladies are far more patient than us men. I guess I need to ask God for more patience.

On another note. I admit some dreams I did not write down, because I thought they were not from God. Do you think all our dreams are messages from God? Should we write them all down or just the ones we think are from God?

God bless

John7
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:36 pm

no they arent all from God. Some are from ourselves or worry dreams. I wrote all mine down for two months to help me better understand this. Some are based on my thoughts or kindof a replay of the following day. After i did the study of my own dreams, I just write down the ones i feel are prophetic or from God. I write down my husbands from time to time too lol

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

A WOMAN'S HEART SHOULD BE SO LOST IN GOD THAT A MAN MUST SEEK HIM FIRST IN ORDER TO FIND HER

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm

This post is more a testimony of how much my dreaming has benefitted from Laura's suggestions regarding dream documentation... thumbs flower

I'm a big fan of using a recorder or voice recorder on one's phone. I tend to forget dreams or at least forget a lot of the activity that took place in the dream. I used to write them down but found that as I was writing, I was losing detail and would try to make up for it by not writing detailed information. Unfortunately, I'd forget a lot of the meaningful detail so my notes often weren't helpful.

Having a recorder by my side has come in so handy because I can record and then go back to sleep if I woke up in the middle of the night. I find that when I document the dream in my blog (I use Google Blogger), I realize how much detail I forgot over the course of the day so am really pleased with recording.

The only thing that I'm not too crazy about regarding Google Blogger is that it doesn't allow you to enter the dreams chronologically according to when the dream occurred vs the actual date (I realize it's unrealistic to think that it would do this). I often store several dreams on the recorder and don't get to post them immediately. When I do enter them into my blog, I title the dream with the date - dream title as the format. It would be great to be able to control the order that the dreams are placed in.

Another side note - as Laura stated, if you're using an online blogger be sure to check the blog's privacy/security settings to make sure that they are set to private. I didn't do this at first and didn't realize it until I googled my own name and saw that it was viewable. what Funny though, the timing of my discovery was kind of ironic. At that time, there was someone in my life who I now realize was attempting to get online information about me and I believe that she googled me. If that did indeed happen and she did find my dream blog before I realized the settings were set to 'public', then she read a prophetic dream that I had that involved her and it manifested just as I dreamt it... whistle

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daphanie02 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:13 pm

lola21st wrote: If that did indeed happen and she did find my dream blog before I realized the settings were set to 'public', then she read a prophetic dream that I had that involved her and it manifested just as I dreamt it... whistle

rofl LOL YOU SOUND LIKE ME!!!!! LOL laugh :laughing: When i talk like this, thats usually where i lose my husbands interest! lol!

Laura Boaz (aka Daph)

daphanie02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 pm

laugh

Too funny!

The timing of it all was unique because I'd just had the dream, she might have read it shortly after I'd posted, and then it manifested after she would have read it. I wonder what she was thinking as it didn't have a good outcome for her....

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by traveller on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:32 pm

I often ask for God to wake me up if I've had an important dream and that happens to me regularly. I still have to write it down right away, including all the details, because by morning I've often forgotten most of those.
Voice recording would be great, but my hubs is a light sleeper..wouldn't be too pleased with that I think:)
I've also had some dream interpretations come to me in a new dream weeks after the original one. God is so good! I hope that happens more often as I still have ones I don't understand:)

traveller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gissy2 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:28 pm

I did ask for an interpretation one time in a dream while sleeping, i never got an answer, to this day I am still clueless of the dream but I keep asking.

However, in this other dream I saw this scene and while I was still in the dream I asked to see it again not only was my request granted but the scene was "zoomed in" at a better angle and I had no other concerns laugh

Gissy2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:21 am

The year that I have given my life to HIm and decided to follow Him, I knew then that God was speaking to me through dreams, but sometimes I missed it, cuz I totally forgot my dreams. This is also the reason that I have practiced dream interpretation since my spiritual birth, but still learning on it everyday.

Uhmmm, to remember my dreams...I just ask God to bring it back to my memory, that's all....just last year I have started to jot them down. lol!

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by richdlady on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for the tips, I get a lotof dreams in one night that keeping a record of them is hopeless as I have a really busy life. I never thought os using a voice recorder but I will start that now. thumbs

richdlady

View user profile http://www.fmn-marketing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:23 pm

On another note. I admit some dreams I did not write down, because I thought they were not from God. Do you think all our dreams are messages from God? Should we write them all down or just the ones we think are from God?

Hi John7 -

Just wanted to add some thoughts regarding this part of your post. My advice is to write them all down but screen out those that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is a Ecc 5:3 dream - lately I've been sleeping with the TV on and whatever is on tv finds a place in my dream so I don't pay attention to those dreams. Also, there are times that my dreams are definitely a continuation of what's been happening earlier that day, it's like my conscious mind hasn't shut down. But outside of those instances, I record all the other dreams because I've found that often even the nonsensical ones or the ones that seem mundane have some meaning or were shedding light on something, it may just have been that I was getting a piece of the overall message from that one dream...

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Irish on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:37 pm

I just wanted to say that almost every single cell phone has a recorder in it. I practically wrote half my book on my cell phone recorder. It is usually under "tools" or something of that nature. I keep my phone charging next to my bed....the great thing about this is that the phone also makes a light...(no need to turn a light on to record, or to write something down) and this is the best...you dont have to walk around waking up. The other morning I was telling my husband that I knew I had a God dream the night before, but I didnt have even a clue what it was, because I hadnt recorded it. later that day I was going through my recordings and I was amazed that I had been mistaken, I HAD RECORDED MY DREAM...IT WAS THERE IN ALL IT'S DETAILS THAT i WOULD NOT HAVE REMEMBERED WOW. I was flabberghasted....I did not remember that ..So charge your phone on the night table...

Last edited by Linda Irish on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accuracy)

Linda Irish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtuous on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:23 am

Lately, I'm having the hardest time remembering my dreams. I even went out and bought a voice recorder. Guess what? I can't even bring myself to turn the darn thing on.

The ones I do remember, it's only a small piece...

Virtuous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtuous on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:24 am

Linda Irish wrote:I just wanted to say that almost every single cell phone has a recorder in it. I practically wrote half my book on my cell phone recorder. It is usually under "tools" or something of that nature. I keep my phone charging next to my bed....the great thing about this is that the phone also makes a light...(no need to turn a light on to record, or to write something down) and this is the best...you dont have to walk around waking up. The other morning I was telling my husband that I knew I had a God dream the night before, but I didnt have even a clue what it was, because I hadnt recorded it. later that day I was going through my recordings and I was amazed that I had been mistaken, I HAD RECORDED MY DREAM...IT WAS THERE IN ALL IT'S DETAILS THAT i WOULD NOT HAVE REMEMBERED WOW. I was flabberghasted....I did not remember that ..So charge your phone on the night table...

That's great Linda but be careful using your cell phone while it is charging...

Virtuous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 pm

And if it's possible to put your phone's voice recorder memory on your phone's memory card rather than your phone itself, you'll decrease the risk of your phone freezing up because its run out of memory...if you're good about transcribing the recording quickly and not keeping the saved files this won't be an issue...

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Irish on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:04 pm

I never heard anything about using your phone while it is charging. What happens? I've had this phone for four years and nothing has happended yet.....every once in a while I will sit and talk for a great long time on it while it is on the charge...(long distance with sister)...but I dont want to blow up my phone

I should just pull the plug out when I record in the middle of the night).....thanks for sharing about this Lola....I cant afford a new phone lol!!! thumbs

Linda Irish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jaenmari on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:34 am

whenever i wake up the next morning and i can't remember what I dreamt I normally just try and go back to the position that my body was in when i woke up just after the dream. It works like a bomb. I remember every detail that way. very cool.

jaenmari

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Irish on Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:58 am

jaen marie...that is amazing that you can do that, ive never heard of that before...I would probably not remember the position I was in.....lol

Linda Irish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gissy2 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:24 pm

LI I was thinking the same thing laugh

Gissy2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:07 am

jaenmari wrote:whenever i wake up the next morning and i can't remember what I dreamt I normally just try and go back to the position that my body was in when i woke up just after the dream. It works like a bomb. I remember every detail that way. very cool.

I remember I did that once or twice. lol!

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jaenmari on Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:47 am

Linda Irish wrote:jaen marie...that is amazing that you can do that, ive never heard of that before...I would probably not remember the position I was in.....lol

lol! it is amazing. i read about it in a book and one morning I woke up and knew I dreamt something important, but couldn't remember what and then i remembered what I read and i tried it. how strange that i could remember what i read a while back, but couldn't remember what i had just dreamt.
rofl
aye. the Lord does work in mysterious ways.

jaenmari

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top