How do you worship God?

Go down

How do you worship God?

Post by Jasmine on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Note: I put the topic here because in order to get close to God, sometimes you need to worship him.

How do you worship God? I don't know how?
What do u do? Do you sing, dance, write a thank-you list to God, think how marvelous he is? If you sing, must you make the song up or can it be a song you've heard from a singer? Do you have to be on your knees or can lay down on your bed? Please give straight forward answers and I already know reasons why to worship God.
Jasmine
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you worship God?

Post by Virtuous on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:42 am

I can't speak for anyone else but I worship God in all that I do. (Well, I try to anyway). Everything I do, I try to do it as unto the Lord. I worship Him in my giving, time, talent, gift, praise, song, dance, exhalting him, magnifying His name, raising my children in His ways, prayer, reading/meditating on His word...
Virtuous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:22 pm

That sounds nice. But I could never do that. I'd fail. I'm not passionate about the stupid weekly routine I have. Got any other ideas? If I worshiped, I'd like to do it in privacy.
Jasmine
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtuous on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:25 am

ja1721 wrote:That sounds nice. But I could never do that. I'd fail. I'm not passionate about the stupid weekly routine I have. Got any other ideas? If I worshiped, I'd like to do it in privacy.

I'm afraid I don't understand...

In all that I do in worship, even if I'm in church, at my desk or wherever; it's between me and the Lord (private).
Virtuous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mjtorrence on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 am

When I worship the Lord I do it at church and I worship him at home by singing and dancing I don't care who's watching I will sing loudly and clap my hands and dance
mjtorrence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Virtuous on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:07 pm

I have been driving down the road and a spirit of worship has fallen on me.

I have actually been in a public bathroom and a spirit of worship has fallen on me. It started out as a praise and worship settled in. Someone even walked in on me but I didn't stop.

It was between me and God...
Virtuous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:44 pm

ja1721,

to worhisp God is a lifestyle, a life pleasing to him. We may worship HIm in different forms such singing, dancing, prostrating, kneeling etc. but on the top of that, it is the heart that matters most. If we desire Him and seek to please Him in everything we do and in every moment of our lives, for me that is worship. Placing Him in the highest place in our lives is already a sweet incense in His presence. We read the Bible because we want to know Him everyday, We pray because we desire to talk to Him not just ask something from Him. We go to church because we love the people whom He loves, and serve the people whom He love, for me that is worship. If He is not sitting in the throne of our hearts, then, we worship other things, not Him.

Jn 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Virtuous wrote:
ja1721 wrote:That sounds nice. But I could never do that. I'd fail. I'm not passionate about the stupid weekly routine I have. Got any other ideas? If I worshiped, I'd like to do it in privacy.

I'm afraid I don't understand...

In all that I do in worship, even if I'm in church, at my desk or wherever; it's between me and the Lord (private).

Srry what I meant was give me ideas on how to worship God that would be private. I don't want to be in someone else's presence when I'm with God. I only said privacy because I thought you'd say something about worshiping in church. I don't know why I dislike it, but I've always been a quiet person and I guess that's why I like quiet, one-on-one worship.
Jasmine
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:52 pm

owen wrote:ja1721,

to worhisp God is a lifestyle, a life pleasing to him. We may worship HIm in different forms such singing, dancing, prostrating, kneeling etc. but on the top of that, it is the heart that matters most. If we desire Him and seek to please Him in everything we do and in every moment of our lives, for me that is worship. Placing Him in the highest place in our lives is already a sweet incense in His presence. We read the Bible because we want to know Him everyday, We pray because we desire to talk to Him not just ask something from Him. We go to church because we love the people whom He loves, and serve the people whom He love, for me that is worship. If He is not sitting in the throne of our hearts, then, we worship other things, not Him.

Jn 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

I know glorifying him is praise and worship and so is doing everyday things your best for his glory. A life of pleasing him is good too. But I just can't really do it that way. My life can't be pleasing. I can't do my best in school. I'm not passionate for it at all. I'd rather exclude it from my everyday life. Besides I only wanna get close to him and I heard worshipping can help. Truth is I don't really know what worship and praise is. I can only praise God for the things he's done for me. Then that would be thanking God. I only know some of his compassion, some of his love, from experience. I know he has more to him because the bible says there is more, but how can I praise God for what I don't know first-hand?
Jasmine
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:59 pm

[quote="ja1721"]
owen wrote: I know he has more to him because the bible says there is more, but how can I praise God for what I don't know first-hand?

back to the basic, read the Bible, if you read it with open heart, He will reveal Himself.
You are right, you cant worship Him if you dont know Him. We only worship someone whom we know. He reveals who He is in the Bible. And His Spirit will teach you how to get closer to Him, bcoz His job is to bring you closer to Him.
owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:07 pm

thx all you poeple! now tell me when people say to mediate on scripture what do they mean? Do I have to "om" the scriptures or do yoga? Do I imagine what happened in the bible is happening before my eyes? Do write a sermon in my head based on a story or a chapter? When you mean think, do u mean how the story would apply to life or just imagine it (i personally would rather imagine it)?
Jasmine
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 pm

[quote="ja1721"]
owen wrote: so is doing everyday things your best for his glory. A life of pleasing him is good too. But I just can't really do it that way. My life can't be pleasing. I can't do my best in school. I'm not passionate for it at all. I'd rather exclude it from my everyday life. Besides I only wanna get close to him and I heard worshipping can help. Truth is I don't really know what worship and praise is. I can only praise God for the things he's done for me. Then that would be thanking God.

You dont have to be somebody to be accepted by Him. You need to be good by your own measure to be loved by Him. You dont need to do anything so that you can gain His approval. If doing good is the reason so that He can accept you, then you are not trusting His cross.

The cross of Jesus has done these things for you. as you believe in Jesus and gave yourself to Him, God has accepted you and love you just the way you are because you believe in His Son Jesus, not because you are intelligent, you are the best, nor you do good things, it is simply because you believe in Jesus. Because you believe in Jesus, this will lead you to get close to Him, as you get close to Him, you will begin to obey Him, love Him, worship Him, and do good things to others for Him. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
To get close to Him is a choice that starts with a desire.
owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:24 pm

ja1721 wrote:thx all you poeple! now tell me when people say to mediate on scripture what do they mean? Do I have to "om" the scriptures or do yoga? Do I imagine what happened in the bible is happening before my eyes? Do write a sermon in my head based on a story or a chapter? When you mean think, do u mean how the story would apply to life or just imagine it (i personally would rather imagine it)?

Yoga? that is funny lol! .

Read it like how you read other books, read it according to your style or you're comfortable with, but first pray that the holy Spirit will guide you to all truth. I tell you, the more you know Him, the more you want HIm. Read it everyday!
owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:35 pm

[quote="owen"]
ja1721 wrote:
owen wrote: so is doing everyday things your best for his glory. A life of pleasing him is good too. But I just can't really do it that way. My life can't be pleasing. I can't do my best in school. I'm not passionate for it at all. I'd rather exclude it from my everyday life. Besides I only wanna get close to him and I heard worshipping can help. Truth is I don't really know what worship and praise is. I can only praise God for the things he's done for me. Then that would be thanking God.

You dont have to be somebody to be accepted by Him. You need to be good by your own measure to be loved by Him. You dont need to do anything so that you can gain His approval. If doing good is the reason so that He can accept you, then you are not trusting His cross.

The cross of Jesus has done these things for you. as you believe in Jesus and gave yourself to Him, God has accepted you and love you just the way you are because you believe in His Son Jesus, not because you are intelligent, you are the best, nor you do good things, it is simply because you believe in Jesus. Because you believe in Jesus, this will lead you to get close to Him, as you get close to Him, you will begin to obey Him, love Him, worship Him, and do good things to others for Him. NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
To get close to Him is a choice that starts with a desire.

That's where I am: desire. But desire is not enough. I know I don't workfor it like you just said. It's just one of ther things I can't do now. I want to know what kind of worship that would bring me closer to God! Not the knid that I would do when I know God.
Jasmine
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:41 am

JA,

Love is a good form of worship. Love is long and deep. When you do something do your best. Not for yourself but for him. If Jesus were standing in front of you, what would you do? You would praise him, sing hallelujah and bow before him. Sing praises to him about his love for you. Worship means what? Glorifying the Lord. Start by telling him why you love him and tell him you are going to do something special for him. Just like you would for someone you love. A love letter to him is nice. Developing a relationship with him. Quiet time thinking about what scriptures mean and how they apply to your life. Things like that. I hope that helps.

love in Jesus,

Connie

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6
Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

That does thx!
Jasmine
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I will give you the desires of your heart

Post by Angelique on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:18 pm

That's where I am: desire. But desire is not enough. I know I don't workfor it like you just said. It's just one of ther things I can't do now. I want to know what kind of worship that would bring me closer to God! Not the knid that I would do when I know God.[/quote]

You are right where you are supposed to be then! Who do you think is placing that desire in your heart? You have turned to Him and He is putting IN you the desire for Himself. Right now its a step of Faith to trust and believe that He is going to fill that desire WITH himself! Shift your perspective to all He is and not what or where you aren't yet. It always brings me closer to Him when I look at what He has already done... for you in this scenario I can see that the very fact that you desire to be closer to Him is a reason to praise and worship Him!! There was a time when that would have been the last thing on my mind... it is evidence of His Spirit working in you and moving in your life! You desire for Him is causing ME to rejoice and to worship! Dont fret... He is such a personal God... He will show you what He desires from you and then all your will need to do is respond! He loves you and loving Him back is worship. Loving people is worship. Spending time with Him, thinking about Him... Longing for Him... that is all received as worship and I am sure He is singing over you now as you are pursuing Him in your desire for more of Him. PS 37:3 says

Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
4 Take delight in the LORD,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
6 He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
your vindication like the noonday sun.

As we delight in Him He becomes what we desire... and Matt 5:6 says

6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.

Be patient and just love Him to the best of your ability Now... the rest will come as your relationship develops with Him. There is no one way to worship other than that it be sincere and will your whole heart. As someone already said "in spirit and in truth". God Bless you on this amazing journey! So excited for you as you discover more and more of who He is and He reveals more and more of How much he loves you!

There is a great song by a girl named JJ Heller called "What love really means". You tube it! It might bless you!
Angelique

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:26 pm

thx and what a wonderful song!
Jasmine
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey Butterfly on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:37 am

Hi JA, you want to know him for yourself. That is good, don't accept anything less!

He loves honesty and he will always respond to any effort you make to connect with him. If you imagine that you are just meeting, and you are at the small talk stage and feeling your way... then, he is at the "I can't bear to take my eyes off you for a second" stage - he counts your hair and watches you sleep! He is patient and he will smile at whatever steps you take to get close and be real with him. It actually doesn't matter what those steps are! You could just say good morning, and tell him that you long to know him... and try to think about him during the day... thank him and worship when he makes something real to you... when you are given a word that touches your heart, when you feel that he loves you, when one of those small things happens that gives your day meaning... thank him, praise him then. He would rather your honest, open heart that says I don't know how to do this! He delights in you and will enjoy teaching you his ways... rest in him, read his word, I pray that you will feel his gentle touch in your spirit tonight. Bless you! Bless you!!!!
Grey Butterfly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vickie on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:20 am

Our worship to the Lord will be different and unique, because we are all different and He made us that way Praise God. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise, and from there you will enter into worship, adoration to Your heavenly Father.
I am reminded of a song I keep falling in love with Him over and over and over and over again.

Vickie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasmine on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:06 pm

thx both of u
Jasmine
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down