I have a question for anyone who can answer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I have a question for anyone who can answer

Post by KDRE on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:08 pm

Is there a clear cut way to tell what gifts God has put in you, or do you discover as you go and grow in the Lord?

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

gifting

Post by Hiskid on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 pm

there are spiritual gifting tests online. I took one and it was not accurate but there are many

Hiskid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I have a question for anyone who can answer

Post by dreamster on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:26 pm

um i havnt dun a online one but did a comprehensive test that helped identify possable spirtual gifts an motivational gifts,, but it wasa long tme ago , ugh

dreamster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:42 am

KDRE wrote:Is there a clear cut way to tell what gifts God has put in you, or do you discover as you go and grow in the Lord?

Hey Kdre,

I believe the latter is true. We would know and discover our gifts as we grow and walk with God. Same principle is applied in the natural, babies will never know their special abilities and talents until they grow and mature, able to improve and develop their talent. Samuel was called by God when he was a child, and began functioning as a prophet when he bacame adult.

Blessings.

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Hey owen, good to see you again!

Im not sure any of those online tests really work or not
... I lean towards the latter

I just happen to notice alot of churches dont spend much time teaching on the gifts and its something that people would be well to know because it helps you know your place in the body/ministry as you grow in the Lord.

Not that it should be your focus over developing Godly character first and foremost, but it goes along as apart of the package

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:37 am

True, they didn't have spiritual gift tests in Samuel's day... lol!

I have taken some of the online tests and agree that they vary in their accuracy (to the extent they can be accurate). In my case, three gifts are always persistent (encouragement/exhortation, knowledge, and teaching) but others vary (mercy, prophecy, discernment). My personal feeling is that they can give you an inclination but it really is through education, exposure and experience that you begin to identify the gifts when you're unsure of your gifting.

I just happen to notice alot of churches dont spend much time teaching on the gifts and its something that people would be well to know because it helps you know your place in the body/ministry as you grow in the Lord.

My church does teach a course called "The Holy Spirit and His Gifts". Our class took a battery test but I can't find it to tell you the name of the creator. If you'd like I can contact the pastor who taught the course and ask him to send me the name of it.

What I can do in the meantime is to share some principles from the class that will assist you in identifying your spiritual gifts;

-Seek the Holy Spirit. The same Holy Spirit who gives the gifts will reveal them to us as we seek His guidance and help (Matt. 7:&-11; john 16:13; James 1:5).

-Identify those needs which especially trouble us and find out which gift(s) meet our needs. (Nehemiah 1:1-11; 2:18). Nehemiah's burden to rebuild the wall of Jerusalem was an indication that the hand of the Lord was upon him to perform that task.

- Some gifts are imparted by prophecy and/or the laying on of hands (1 Tim 1:18; 4:14; 2 Tim 1:6). Therfore, we are to be open to receive instruction concerning our gift(s) from others in the Body of Christ. However, we should always ask the Holy Spirit to confirm the validity of what is spoken by others.

- When our motives are pure, the dreams, visions, and deep desires that we have are often indicative of God's will for our lives (Joel 2:28; Psalm 37:4). Therefore, we should first find out which gifts enable us to fulfill our God-given dreams.

- Some things are caught rather than taught (2 Kings 2:9-13; 2 Tim 1:5-6). Therefore, we should expose ourselves to persons who are already exercising their gifts.

- Since we know that God wants to use us, we should exercise faith by dismissing all excuses, delays, and limitations from our minds (heb 11:1,6). In other words, we must feed our faith and starve our doubts!

- Matthew 14:28-31 illustrates the importance of acting on what we believe. When invited to join Jesus on the water, Peter responded in faith and got down out of the boat. The miracle could not and did not take place until Peter acted on his faith. So it is with the exercise of spiritual gifts.

I pray that this blesses you! flower

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:35 am

Hi lola

Thanks for the wonderful response

I can actually identify with what you say about nehemiah there, and a few other of those if you will :)

Now I must say I did post this question not really for myself but for many to see the reponses to it.

I know some churches do teach their congregations on it, but some dont...alot dont as a matter of fact. I hope the answers that are provided really helps someone in their seeking Gods face

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:48 pm

I say AMEN to Lola, a bible based explaination. thumbs

:bible:

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:14 pm

KDRE wrote:

As far as I know, I do believe that part of the job of the prophets is to identify the gifts of individual, and they also have the anointing to call forth ones gift, help activate such gift, and and give intructions how to use it. and they do it under the anointing and guidance of the HS. They also confirm your gift(if you already know it), and guide you as to where your place is in the body of Christ, in case you dont know.

But ideally, as we grow in the Lord, it is God HImself reveals unto us, our gift, calling, function or place in the body. Now, the prophets come and confirm them to you and help you reach your full potential.

I believe it is one of the reason why the church could not function properly as corporate body of Christ because of that reason. Prophets bring fire and direction from the HS, they are eyes in the body of Christ. they mobilize and points where is the direction of the wind of the Spirit, they tell us the latest bulletin in heaven.

I shared this because we are talking about gifts, which is intertwined with calling. You are right when you said that...people would be well to know because it helps you know your place in the body/ministry as you grow in the Lord...

We need to know, really need to know, or else we'll be lost and regret it for all eternity like the five foolish virgins.

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Now I must say I did post this question not really for myself but for many to see the reponses to it.

I know some churches do teach their congregations on it, but some dont...alot dont as a matter of fact. I hope the answers that are provided really helps someone in their seeking Gods face

Praise the Lord! That was my thought as well...first I thought I would PM you with the info or see if you wanted it but then I felt led to just post it so that others could benefit from it. Awesome! :glory:

Thanks Owen! thumbs

I agree about the role of the church prophet. Unfortunately, our church doesn't utilize the office so we don't have that ability... bandaid ...I really wish we did, when the office is carried out righteously it seems like it can be a powerful thing... (I state it this way because I've not yet experienced this firsthand...)...

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:21 pm

Lol I've made 3 long posts and they all self deleted

Anyhow good posts you all. I can't pm yet still but I'm working on it

I do agree that the prophet plays a role on this process sometimes but again its not allowed out taught everywhere so you essentially see the church out of order now in many places. I felt as though the most effective thing I could do is lineup with God and his word, and allow him to do the work.

I also agree the office of the prophet can bring devastation to satans work

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:24 pm

I cant generally say that the church is out of order, I believe it is an issue of maturity to be able to perform her eternal purpose. Ephesians 4 describes it well.

.....I felt as though the most effective thing I could do is lineup with God and his word, and allow him to do the work.....

Amen with that statement.

1Cor 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual [gifts], but rather that ye may prophesy.

The gifts are part of the nature of God, we cant follow HIm without receiving His spiritual gifts. Biblically we are encouraged to desire spiritual gifts, esp., the gift of prophecy.

Yes, we can grow in the Lord along with our spiritual gifts, but spiritual gifts are sharpened and exercised the more and better if we are rightly connected with His body, because gifts are not basically and mainly for our benefit, yes we can have some benefit from it, but it is for the edification of our brothers and sisters. In fact the 5 fold ministry is a gift from God to His church.

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:29 pm

lola21st wrote:I really wish we did, when the office is carried out righteously it seems like it can be a powerful thing... (I state it this way because I've not yet experienced this firsthand...)...

Indeed, it is so powerful, I know few churches who have company of prophets, and it is WOW wow :glory:

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:35 pm

I look forward to the day all churches operate as intended

Good scripture on the gift s

Will specify that one in my prayers to the Lord

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:59 pm

I look forward to the day all churches operate as intended

Amen to that! Me too!

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KDRE on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:33 pm

By the way merry christmas to you all

KDRE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lola21st on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:28 am

Merry Christmas, KDRE! God bless you!

lola21st

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:04 am

KDRE wrote:I look forward to the day all churches operate as intended

Those who has an eye to see will see it, and those who desires to see it will see it.

One of the prophets says that one of the signs of the true warrior of God is, he is not satisfied of lukewarmness and mediocrity, he resist it and desires to see Him in whatever HE is doing.

Witnessing and being part of what God is doing is the highest pursuit and adventure we can attain for all eternity.

Merry Christmas to all and a Blessed and abundant new year!!!

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top