Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rachel15

mental illness - dreams

Hi, I have had mental illness - a type of depression where i've had psychosis - which are basically like waking dreams. They seem very real.

The theme of these 'waking dreams' or delusions was along the lines of me being pursued by Satanists, linked with my family. From having these experiences, i've been very troubled that I may have done something in my past or been involved in something in my past as a child that i can't remember.

About eight years ago while i was having these experiences and believing them, I went to church and found out that i could be baptised and did so quickly because i wanted to follow God. Since then I've slowly got better, but am still on some medication.

However, when I've tried to come off the medication i've relapsed and paranoid thoughts and negative voices have come back.

In my dreams at night, and sometimes during the day - I can hear these voices as a commentary sometimes. Sometimes my dreams feel like i am drugged (infact i've had a waking dream like a memory where i was given a drug to drink by a relative of mine) and the focus in my dreams always seems to be on trying to get away and get home to somewhere safe.

In one of my most recent dreams whilst being pursued by people who were like zombies i prayed to God for help and a small umbrella attached to a long black stick i was carrying (with which i had been fighting people perceiving them as enemies or demons) appeared and i was carried in the air away from the people towards a cove. As i looked out towards the open sea, i could see no land, and didn't want to go any further because i was fearful. The umbrella lowered me down and i was then carried back towards a group of people gathering that i had been trying to get away from and then i woke up.

To be honest i've sometimes thought that my dreams were from the enemy or that the voices were. I am concerned about this having looked at this site and seen that God can be speaking through dreams. I am worried that I may have committed the unpardonable sin. I did read that if we do it in ignorance we can be forgiven - but the pharisees weren't.

When I have been ill it's as if my dreams take over and i'm not sure about whats real or not.

I don't know if anyone has any insight that they can offer, but i would be grateful as this has been an ongoing issue.

Hi Rachel,

I hope you don't mind what I am about to say, but it is sometimes hard to differentiate between reality and imagination when there may be a chemical imbalance. If you have been diagnosed with a mental illness and have experienced psychosis, it is the same part of the brain which centers around our dream life. But thing is with a mental illness, the mind is basically getting the messages confused and mixing the thoughts all around so to speak.

I would encourage you to see your doctor and tell him about how you are doing and see what they say.

Also too to have counselling sometimes helps. Remember psychosis is a very real seeming experience due to the fact that your mind thinks what you are thinking is real, when it simpley isn't.

Also too I might add that the enemy loves to get in there a play around when we are in a vulnerable state and also too, some of the things you are feeling and thinking could stem from past experiences that are acted out in these episodes.

This is just my opinion and I want to say again, that if you have been diagnosed with a mental illness, you need to be treated for that ....the same way a diabetic needs insulin you need medication to help your mind relax and think clearly and rationally.

Remember also we are triparte beings, physical, spiritual and mental. So aim to be healthy in all these areas by being "balanced" in these areas.

I pray you find the answers you are looking for and find hope and I thankyou for being so open on here to reveal your struggles on here.

God bless and I hope this resonated with you and if not please disregard what I have said.

All the best.....

Hi Delightful Soul,

thanks for your post. I guess I keep hoping that someone might shed some further light - i do find it hard to accept that its a chemical imbalance as there was a time when I didn't have this but perhaps it just developed over time. I guess, given the confusion that i've had, it might mean thats it going to be hard to work out what God might be saying in dreams that I have.

there are lots of reasons for mental illness, stress can be a cause, taking illicit drugs, hereditary ....

The hardest part about being diagnosed is accepting where you are at.

Alot of churches like to label it demonic and with the wave of a hand it can be 'cast out'. I do not believe that at all. I believe there can be spirits attached but also it is a mind/brain disorder so to speak.

Sometimes medication has bad side effects, but if it is stopping the paranoia then you know it is more than spiritual that it is physical.

Your dream life can definately be affected even by medication. They are mind altering drugs....even if they are legal, but if it is giving you peace of mind, I would not trouble myself with the reasons why you have a mental illness. God is a healer.......yes and He wants you well. There is such a stigma about Mental illness and people have so many opinions out there about it, just like I am giving you mine.

My encouragement to you is. If you are troubled by your thoughts, get help, from doctors, psychologists, prayer and exercise. It's a balance thing.

There is reason behind your psychosis, I am not disputing that, but given that you are being tormented by such episodes, I would seek all the help I could get to stop such trouble for you mind. The bible says guard your heart with all diligence for out of it flow the issues of life. Some translations speak of the heart as ones mind. (someone correct me if I am wrong here).......I take this scripture to mean that whether I have a mental illness or not, my peace of mind is important for good health.

Dear friend, you are looking for answers to your situation and rightly so. But right now I think you are in need of support, then the answers will come from that.

Peace dear friend, seek peace at all costs, even if it means you have to suffer the side effects of meds.....trust that God puts the medical professions there to help when we "need" it.

Bless you dear one.

Please dont stop your medications. Secondly try and see a pastor in deliverance to pray for you incase there is a generational curse lingering somewhere...especially if you ancestors have been involved in occult, witchraft, or idolatry etc. You donot want any stone left on turn...eventhought it may be not a spiritual cause. this is my advise

I second that. I don'[t believe that we shuld ever rely on medications but if it provides a peace of mind then I would use wisdom. I ask that the Lord will provide the right medication and the right physician with wisdom to help in Jesus name.

I would have to say that as well. Seek out deliverance ministry along with the care of your Doctor. I agree that this could be a generational curse stemmed from witchcraft or some other form of the occult. Generational curses can go back 14 generations. If you are unaware of who may have performed witchcraft or the like you can still seek help through deliverance. The Lord will bring the truth to lite for you. I will be praying for you. May the peace of the Lord Jesus Christ rain on you through your spirit, mind and body.

Love in Jesus,

Connie