YAHWEH the LORD"s name

View previous topic View next topic Go down

YAHWEH the LORD"s name

Post by His Beloved on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:24 am

As I was waking up on Monday morning I heard a voice say very clearly YAHWEH. I know that it's one of the names of God and that Jehovah is usually used in place of it. I understands that it means "LORD". But why would it be spoken to me am i supposed to understand something deeper about it.

His Beloved

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: YAHWEH the LORD"s name

Post by MaMa on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:46 pm

YAHWEH is actually taken from a Hebrew verb "to be". it isn't a name. The Jews used "Lord" to pronounce the name. because they want to show their respect toward God.
the verb itself means he was, he is and he will be. in which it means God is in control of all times. he was the God of Abraham, he is the same God today and he will be still the same God in the future. so the name itself represents the almighty God we know who is beyond time-- infinite attribute. i hope this will help :) (i studied Hebrew before)

MaMa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hind'sfeet on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 pm

MaMa, did you know that the Jews today will not dare say the name of God or even spell it out? They say it's too Holy... They even hyphenate the generic term god as g-d... Most people mistake the title of being (god) as His name. Lord is also only a title. If YWHW is not His name, then what is, because it's not Lord either.
Also, all names have a meaning it's just that those who speak english don't usually name their child using plain language like some movie stars have chosen to do ie. Apple...
Also, the inscription the Romans wrote above Jesus' head on the cross unwittingly had YWHW in it plain as day for those who knew of it.

hind'sfeet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:02 am

Hi hindsfeet,

I definitely respect Jew's belief, God indeed is holy. I am just wondering that I have never found a single verse in the Bible that says we should not mention God's name because it is too Holy. In fact the Bible teaches, we should be holy because He is holy, and to call upon His name whenever we need Him.
Pss 80:18 So will not we go back from thee: quicken us, and we will call upon thy name.
Pss 99:6 Moses and Aaron among his priests, and Samuel among them that call upon his name; they called upon the Lord, and he answered them.
Pss 105:1 O give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people
As far as I know Jehovah or Yahweh means Self-existent, Eternal.
Basically in the Bible, names have meaning which reflects the traits and personality of a person. Name is very important to God to the extent that When He calls someone, set-apart for His work, sometimes, He changes the person's name, Abram to Abraham, Jacob to Israel, Saul to Paul.
1Sam 12:22 For the Lord will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the Lord to make you his people.
Pss 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Pss 25:11 For thy name's sake, O Lord, pardon mine iniquity; for it [is] great.
Pss 106:8 Nevertheless he saved them for his name's sake, that he might make his mighty power to be known.
Isa 48:9 For my name's sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain for thee, that I cut thee not off.
Pss 91:14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
Everytime that God is doing something, His name is at stake on it.
In the New testament, the Lord Jesus taught us to pray and ask the Father in His name.
God cannot deny His name because he cannot lie to HImself.

Biblically, God wants us to know His name and call upon His name.
But never use His name in vain.
Deut 5:11 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold [him] guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

His name is infinitely powerful we can ever know and possess in this life.
His name is the sweetest name we can ever mention.
His name is the most beautiful name far above anyone esle.

Php 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth;

I love God's name!

God Bless you!!

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hind'sfeet on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:19 am

Yup, I'm not arguing with that Owen :) but you must consider that Israel has always been rebelious against God. Jesus was ALWAYS rebuking them because they did NOT obey their Father in Heaven, they came up with their Own self righteous rules and not calling YWHW by His name is one of them.
You and I both know what you posted is true. Just because Israel is God's chosen people does not mean that their eyes are open to the Truth. As anyone that is not saved Jesus says, they do not understand the Word of God and their eyes are darkened. Jesus also spoke in riddles He said so that those who are in unbelief would not understand and their eyes would not be opened etc (something like that). Any one can memorize the whole Old Testament but that means absolutely nothing.
You are looking at the Jews through your own understanding and not from reading up on them outside the Bible. They do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah, they believe that God's name is too holy to even spell out and they even hyphenate the word g-d as so, they even had God's name removed from most of the Old Testament and influenced it being removed from the New Testament. You should read up on that... It's not pretty.

hind'sfeet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:19 am

You are looking at the Jews through your own understanding and not from reading up on them outside the Bible.

Hi Hindsfeet,

Indeed you have a point.

I do understand the religion Judaism,and I understand who they are, what they believe, and I know we have to love them. I am not even arguing(Im sorry if it sounds like that to you). I also agree on what you said about them.

Basically, I just shared my thoughts about who God is with regards to His name, thats all. Generally, I am not talking about the Jews, I am talking about His name. We know that the only Knowledge that will remain eternally is the knowledge of His name, and all other knowledge will disappear.

I may know all religions and bliefs all over the world, but if I dont know Him, Im nothing.

This is the reason why I shared my insights about His name.

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hind'sfeet on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks, I must have misunderstood where you what you were trying to say.
I agree with you!

hind'sfeet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by owen on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:59 am

thumbs

:praiseg-d:

owen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaMa on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:41 pm

yes the Jews try not to call out God's name "YAWEH" directly. they called him "Lord" instead. this is just how they are.
as we know God has different names in the bible. they all point out the attributes of God-- to let us know who God is. so names have a special role in the Bible. often time they point out the plan / will of God in someone's life.
but YAWEH is definitely the most special one. God told Moses his name was YAWEH. It tells people the infinite attribute of God.

MaMa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hind'sfeet on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:57 pm

:ihavenothingtoadd: :goodpost:

hind'sfeet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by His Beloved on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks Hindsfeet, Owen, and Mama..for the information Great discussion. The name that is above all names.....that's what I should have named this post. God Bless You

His Beloved

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top