Avoid Evil - Even When It's Your Family554

Avoid Evil - Even When It's Your Family

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Avoid Evil - Even When It's Your Family

Post by Mia Sherwood on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:50 pm

God is amazing!

Why is it that we steer clear of family members who have bad habits that we don't want rubbing off on us but we don't have the same conviction about those who are abusive? Jesus said that anyone who called his brother fool was in danger of hell.

I want to give you a little background. I have a very, very, very higly dysfunctional family. At any one time fifty percent of my family is not on speaking terms with someone else. One side of my family have serious issues with viciously ugly rage and hatred, and most of them are either convicted criminals or criminals who haven't been caught. The other side of my family I adore and always have.

Since I moved back to the area I have largely avoided my extended family due to the old lifestyle that I lived with them, of partying and clubbing, etc. It's just not safe for me to expose myself to that so I have been avoiding it because I don't want to reestablish old bonds with family members which formerly kept me in bondage to a destructive lifestyle. I was not blessed with generations of loving Christians that came before me. Seriously, some of my family (most) are the physical manifestations of evil personified. However, I believed it important to participate in family functions with the closer members of my family, on that side, because I believed it was the loving thing to do. Not that I really wanted to because every interaction is a disaster. I continued to do it because I thought it was right - but frankly it is exhausting.

My cousin was married on Saturday and that meant an extended family gathering with some family members that I would have liked to avoid. Going to these functions is like going on Jerry Springer. Family functions end up in fist fights, people have been thrown to the ground (my sister threw my mother at one wedding), there are always vicious verbal assaults and it's worse than anything you've ever seen on Cops. As a matter of fact the wedding prior to this one was another great example of family chaos. Two of my very close male relatives got into a fist fight at a 7-11. The police were called by a bystander and word spread to me that they were about to get arrested so I rushed over there, praying as I ran that God would mercifully intervene. God is so good. The only reason they weren't arrested was because the officer in charge was told by someone that I was the minister who was going to be officiating the wedding the next day and he specifically said that it was the only reason he was letting the two family members go. It was actually because God moved his heart and I so worship Him for that... (and a thousand other things). The father of the bride, while trying to break up the fight, was punched in the nose and had to walk the bride down the aisle wearing very dark sunglasses because both eyes were completely black from the injury to his nose

Now that I've tried to set the scene for you..............

This occassion was no different than most, and as a result I feel like I've been thrown up on. Part of the problem arose when I tried to make peace with a sister who hates me. I had been trying to get my sister to sit for a minute and after several attempts was finally successful. The moment we sat down one of my cousins sat down at our table, so I asked her if we could have a few minutes of privacy. Before I could explain why she flew off the handle, told me off, and stalked away. Then, my sister was not receptive to my efforts because she's happy with the way things are and she stalked off after making sure I knew how much she despises me and then she physically attacked my father. Then, another family member came and sat down, next to where I was sitting speaking to a beloved family member, solely to start trouble.

Ever since then, this ugly feeling inside of me rises up every time I think about the wedding. I think it's rejection coupled with some other things that I can't put my finger on. I'm just exhausted by the thought of continuing to have issues like this in my life.

As I was talking to God in my heart about all this I told Him that all the ugliness was sticking with me and I hated to have this emotional cancer in my heart. I like a pure, clean heart which is void of offense. I remembered some other times where something happened that I could not control and the feeling stuck with me for months and I did not want that again. I don't like being upset at all. I like being peaceful and happy.

Then, in my heart came, Guard your heart.

I have heard this scripture a thousand times but I never had a really good grasp on it because I've never had it used by God in the proper context. Along with this scripture coming into my heart I felt God was telling me to avoid the people who defile my heart by their actions. Stay away from them and from occassions which are absolutely going to result in what happened this weekend.

Right away I went to the bible to read the scripture in context, because whenever God gives me words of wisdom the context is always right on the money and it will absolutely and completely apply to my situation.

I looked it up and I was amazed!

14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
15 Avoid it, do not go on it; turn from it and pass on.
16 For they cannot sleep unless they have caused trouble or vexation; their sleep is taken away unless they have caused someone to fall.
17 For they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.
18 But the path of the [uncompromisingly] just and righteous is like the light of dawn, that shines more and more (brighter and clearer) until [it reaches its full strength and glory in] the perfect day [to be prepared].(C)
19 The way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know over what they stumble.(D)
20 My son, attend to my words; consent and submit to my sayings.
21 Let them not depart from your sight; keep them in the center of your heart.
22 For they are life to those who find them, healing and health to all their flesh.
23 Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life.
24 Put away from you false and dishonest speech, and willful and contrary talk put far from you.
25 Let your eyes look right on [with fixed purpose], and let your gaze be straight before you.
26 Consider well the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established and ordered aright.
27 Turn not aside to the right hand or to the left; remove your foot from evil.

This scripture says exactly what came into my heart along with the verse and my heart has been at 100% peace ever since then. My heart was crying out to God because it wasn't at peace and He provided the perfect word to bring peace back to me: It is okay to avoid all this mess.

He illuminated me with the fact that I wouldn't avoid being around drunks and drug addicts so that I didn't fall into that pit, and, in the exact same way, being around those with murder in their heart is exactly the same thing. If I don't want to be corrupted by whatever is corrupting them I need to run from it - like the above verse says to do. It does not matter if you were born into the group of evil doers or not. Evil doers are evil doers and we are to avoid them.

Before permanently avoiding a family member I believe this is the biblical course of action to take:

If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive. 4 Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.” To repent means to change the way you are behaving. If your parents stop being verbally abusive that is repentance. Their change of behavior is the act of repenting. Repenting is not saying I'm sorry. God forgives us when we repent and ask for forgiveness. I am not saying be unforgiving until the day comes that a person repents, I believe that we should always have a forgiving heart, what I am saying is that until a person changes their behavior, guard your heart by staying out of Dodge.

By not tolerating evil you are taking a stand against it. I believe not tolerating wrong behavior by avoiding it is the biblical way of peacefully boycotting it and shedding light on how wrong it is. Some people lose sight of how wrong their behavior is because they and everyone they know have always been that way - but God is still just as opposed to evil as He ever was, look at what happened to Ananias and Sapphira.

The bible says that when someone has done something to offend you (which means hurt) tell them so they have a chance to repent. If they do not repent take others with you and if they still don't repent take it to the church for help. Then if that doesn't work, treat them like a pagan or tax collector. Israelites wouldn't touch or go anywhere near pagans and tax collectors. In those times you wouldn't be caught dead talking to pagans and tax collectors, or entering their houses, or having any interaction with them because they were unclean.

Sometimes silence and absence can be the best preacher if it is done with the Holy Spirit because you are quietly and peacefully taking a stand against wrong behavior. I would approach my family with 100% love and genuineness and say, 'Folks, I love you and I want a relationship with you but until you repent I cannot continue to condone this behavior with my presence.'

The most important thing in our walk with God is keeping our heart free of offense. In my experience it is almost impossible to flow in the Spirit and to be in close fellowship with God when our hearts are not 100% peaceful, which is why we are to guard our heart - not to maintain bitterness but to maintain peace in our hearts.

If your parents are the perpetrators:

When the bible says honor your parents it is with the presumption that the parents are Godly - because anyone who wasn't, was stoned in their youth. Rebellious children were literally stoned to death so that they wouldn't contaminate the population because a little leaven leavens the whole lump. With that said, I believe that you can still honor your parents even without subjecting yourself to them if they are abusive.

What does that verse mean when it says to honor your parents? Does it say to suffer any and all abuse they throw your way? I don't believe so. I believe the relatioship with your parents is to fall under the same jurisdiction as the rest of biblical relationships, meaning that there is a Godly way to behave and if some don't behave that way then follow biblical principles to protect your heart. Jesus said, For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Honor means:

–verb (used with object)
13. to hold in honor or high respect; revere: to honor one's parents.

To hold in respect or high honor means no matter how ugly your parents might act you are to keep a respectful tone even if they are not respectable. It is impossible for people who have derelict parents who maybe abuse them emotionally, sexually, and verbally, or behave in some other heinous fasion, to completely respect their parents personalities and behavior. However, when an opportunity arises they can behave respectfully toward them. This however does not mean that they must submit to abusive behavior nor does it mean they must expose themselves to it.

Respect
1.a particular, detail, or point (usually prec. by in ): to differ in some respect.
2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment. In some cases there is no way to have this kind of respect for your parents because they may not have any redeeming qualities.
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly. To show respect is what we should do when we have parents who are abusive. We act respectful toward them even if their behavior or personalities do not inspire repect.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
6. respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship: Give my respects to your parents.
7. favor or partiality.

And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life. Matthew 19:29

This means a separation from ungodly people to live like Jesus. Come apart and be ye separate. In the case of Kingdom living, parents weren't to be an exception because they were your parents, they were to be treated like any other person whom was not following Jesus.

I pray that every single relationship issue that we have is restored when each person repents and comes to Christ. I pray that we would live lives that would minister the gospel to all of our families and that the presence of the Holy Spirit in each one of us would draw all of our family members to Christ.

Everyone's situation is different. God might tell you to do something differently than He is telling me because only He knows how things will end. But if you are struggling with maintaining peace in your heart because of a similar situation, I would do what the bible says and guard your heart. If you try this and it brings divine peace to your life then that is your answer. Pursue peace!

Worth mentioning: Even when avoiding wicked family members, I would still help them out in any way that I could if I saw a need, but at the same time I will do exactly what God told me to do and guard my heart by staying out of the way until He tells me to do something different.

Last edited by Mia Sherwood on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 21 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding More Information to Answer Questions)

Mia

I'm a lousy example of a Christian but a PERFECT example of God's Grace.

http://www.heartsongministry.com

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

View user profile http://www.miasherwood.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Avoid Evil - Even When It's Your Family

Post by HisLightbeam on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:19 pm

AMEN, THIS IS AWESOME IN IT'S CONFIRMATION. I HAVE BEEN HAVING THESE THOUGHTS FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS, AND I THOUGHT I WAS JUST MANUFACTURING THEM. WHAT YOU ARE DESCRIBING HAPPENS TO ME ALL THE TIME. THE INSTIGATORS TRY TO TREAT YOU LIKE THE TROUBLE-MAKER, BUT REALLY, THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE NOT PEACEFUL, AND HAVE EVIL INTENTIONS TOWARDS YOU. YOU AS IN ME:) I HAD A WHOLE CONVERSATION WITH MY FRIEND LAST NIGHT ABOUT IT. IN FACT, I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH ALOT DUE TO MY BABY SISTER AND HER HUSBAND WHO IS A GANGBANGER CALLED A GOON (A SPIN-OFF OF A CRIP AND BLOOD COMBINED). I DON'T EVEN WANT TO GO FURTHER INTO IT, EXCEPT TO SAY THAT THE LORD SHOWED ME THAT HE WAS GOING TO DO ONE MORE THANG AND THEN HE WAS GOING TO WANT TO LEAVE ME ALONE. WELL, I THINK THE ONE MORE THANG. IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. HE ALREADY SPENT SOME PRECIOUS BONDING TIME IN JAIL THIS YEAR, AND I HAD TOLD THEM THAT HE WAS GOING INTO A PIT BECAUSE HE WAS DIGGING ONE FOR ME. IN FACT, HE IS ALWAYS UP AT NIGHT, CAUSING MISCHIEF. PRAISE THE LORD. AS MUCH AS I STRIVE FOR PEACE, THAT WHOLE FAMILY CAUSES DISRUPTION.

WORSE STILL, THEY SAY THINGS LIKE I JUDGE THEM, AND A BUNCH OF HURTFUL THINGS. IT'S BECAUSE I DON'T PARTICIPATE IN THE THINGS THEY DO. BUT I AM NOT JUDGING THEM. THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT THE DIFFERENCE IN ME IS WHAT IS MAKING THEM UNCOMFORTABLE, AND HATEFUL. THEY ARE REALLY MEAN. IN FACT, ONLY ME AND MY LITTLE BROTHER SEEM TO BE ON THE SAME PAGE, AND HAVE BEEN SINCE WE HAVE BEEN SAVED. THE REST OF THEM LIVE AS IF THEY ARE WILD. WE WERE NOT RAISED LIKE THIS. MY SISTER EVEN HAS A TATTO OF THE WORD FOR A FEMALE DOG ON HER LEG. I WAS THINKING THAT ONCE I MARRIED, AND HAD CHILDREN, THAT I WAS NOT SUBJECTING THEM TO MY FAMILY. NO WAY.

HisLightbeam
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:46 pm

HisLightbeam wrote: I WAS THINKING THAT ONCE I MARRIED, AND HAD CHILDREN, THAT I WAS NOT SUBJECTING THEM TO MY FAMILY. NO WAY.

I would advise you not to subject yourself to them either.

huggins

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Delightful soul on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:23 am

This is a good word Mia. But I know that the bible says also to honour your parents........what if it is your parents that cause you to grieve the spirit.

I have come from a mixed background. On one side, the occult was a big thing, and the other false religion......as in cults..I was encouraged to go to church as a little kid but my mum God bless her always gave me a choice.

I think my parents ignorantly behave in certain ways cause they know no better. But they have come a long way. I have lead my mum to the Lord and am praying for my Dad.

I was like yourself for about 8 years, only visited them on special occasions and lived 3 hours away in the city. I then got sick and came back to my home town and ended up living with the very people I thought after I came to Christ would be really difficult for me to do, but God has given me the grace.

I grant you this, that my family are not like a Jerry Springer show but they remind me of kids who can't communicate properly.

Now though, I keep feeling greatful to them, as they took me in when I was at my lowest and they tried to give me the best upbringing they could. And I am so thankful they are alive and in my life now.

I understand though the predicament you are in with your family cause it seems that they grieve your spirit cause you love them, but you are of a different family. Remember when Jesus said to His mother, "who is my mother, father?" And yet when at the cross, He still honoured her by dedicating John (i believe it was him) to be her son after he was to go.

It is an enigma I cannot understand with my mind, but only my heart.

Love covers a multitude of sin. Yes guard your heart so that you can love them out of a pure heart that isn't always being hurt. If you have to be separate from them for a time, do that. But remember Jesus example and that God has a plan for our families as worldy as they may be. He poured His love on us with HIs blood. He will pour His love through us to our blood relatives too, if we let him.

I'm not saying this to negate what you have said but to encourage you to distance yourself, but not to forget where you have come from and where you are going and where your family are going ......you really in your heart of hearts I would hope want them to be saved right.

God knows where they are all at. When God said guard your heart, he did not say 'close' your heart. There is a difference I believe.

Maybe like I said, you are to distance yourself, maybe completely for a time, but I would say trust Him to save them and never give up on them. That does not mean you have to put up with their garbage and sin and if they are attacking you or abusing you, you should walk away ......but you know what, most mothers would have abandoned Jesus for what He said to her when He said "who is my mother?etc".....but I would hazard a guess she loved him so much that she decided to let Him walk with God. Yes she was a believer, but still, Jesus had to stand for God's will in His life and there may be a time when you have to stand, but trust that God will turn their hearts around if you do not close your heart completely.

I hope I am making sense. Just felt to encourage you to hold onto His love for you and for them. Guard your heart and do what you have to do to look after who you are in Christ but do not close it to them, for they know not what they do.

Blessings precious Mia!

Delightful soul
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mjtorrence on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:14 am

Amen I agree Mia I have alot of family like that, and I do avoid them but like you stated I would help them if needed but otherwise I stay away from any family functions so there is no conflict Bless You

mjtorrence

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hiskid on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:34 am

Great post
A tough question -if a dad is verbally abusive what then? Do you still visit someone like that if there is no Im sorry?

Hiskid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:59 pm

MJ - I can totally relate!

DS - The whole purpose of this is not to maintain animosity but to actually keep my heart free of animosity. I would love for my entire family to become beautiful people that I could fellowship with forever but until they stop acting like Jerry Springer personalities I have to guard my heart and pursue peace.

Hiskid - Jesus said, in Luke 17,“If another believer sins, rebuke that person; then if there is repentance, forgive. 4 Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.” To repent means to change the way you are behaving. If your parents stop being verbally abusive that is repentance. Their change of behavior is the act of repenting. Repenting is not saying I'm sorry. God forgives us when we repent and ask for forgiveness. I am not saying be unforgiving until the day comes that a person repents, I believe that we should always have a forgiving heart, what I am saying is that until a person changes their behavior, guard your heart by staying out of Dodge.

When the bible says honor your parents it is with the presumption that the parents are Godly - because anyone who wasn't, was stoned in their youth. Rebellious children were literally stoned to death so that they wouldn't contaminate the population because a little leaven leavens the whole lump. With that said, I believe that you can still honor your parents even without subjecting yourself to them if they are abusive.

What does that verse mean when it says to honor your parents? Does it say to suffer any and all abuse they throw your way? I don't believe so. I believe the relatioship with your parents is to fall under the same jurisdiction as the rest of biblical relationships, meaning that there is a Godly way to behave and if some don't behave that way then follow biblical principles to protect your heart. Jesus said, For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Honor means:

–verb (used with object)
13. to hold in honor or high respect; revere: to honor one's parents.

To hold in respect or high honor means no matter how ugly your parents might act you are to keep a respectful tone even if they are not respectable. It is impossible for people who have derelict parents who maybe abuse them emotionally, sexually, and verbally, or behave in some other heinous fasion, to completely respect their parents personalities and behavior. However, when an opportunity arises they can behave respectfully toward them. This however does not mean that they must submit to abusive behavior nor does it mean they must expose themselves to it.

Respect
1.a particular, detail, or point (usually prec. by in ): to differ in some respect.
2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment. In some cases there is no way to have this kind of respect for your parents because they may not have any redeeming qualities.
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly. To show respect is what we should do when we have parents who are abusive. We act respectful toward them even if their behavior or personalities do not inspire repect.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
6. respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship: Give my respects to your parents.
7. favor or partiality.

By not tolerating evil you are taking a stand against it - and being verbally abusive is evil. I believe not tolerating wrong behavior by avoiding it is the biblical way of peacefully boycotting it and shedding light on how wrong it is. Some people lose sight of how wrong their behavior is because they and everyone they know have always been that way - but God is still just as opposed to evil as He ever was, look at what happened to Ananias and Sapphira.

The bible says that when someone has done something to offend you (which means hurt) tell them so they have a chance to repent. If they do not repent take others with you and if they still don't repent take it to the church for help. Then if that doesn't work, treat them like a pagan or tax collector. Israelites wouldn't touch or go anywhere near pagans and tax collectors. In those times you wouldn't be caught dead talking to pagans and tax collectors, or entering their houses, or having any interaction with them because they were unclean.

And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life. Matthew 19:29

This means a separation from ungodly people to live like Jesus. Come apart and be ye separate. In the case of Kingdom living, parents weren't to be an exception because they were your parents, they were to be treated like any other person whom was not following Jesus.

Sometimes silence and absence can be the best preacher if it is done with the Holy Spirit because you are quietly and peacefully taking a stand against wrong behavior. I would approach my family with 100% love and genuineness and say, 'Folks, I love you and I want a relationship with you but until you repent I cannot continue to condone this behavior with my presence.'

The most important thing in our walk with God is keeping our heart free of offense. In my experience it is almost impossible to flow in the Spirit and to be in close fellowship with God when our hearts are not 100% peaceful, which is why we are to guard our heart - not to maintain bitterness but to maintain peace in our hearts.

I pray that every single relationship issue that we have is restored when each person repents and comes to Christ. I pray that we would live lives that would minister the gospel to all of our families and that the presence of the Holy Spirit in each one of us would draw all of our family members to Christ.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Mia Sherwood on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Hiskid on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:18 am

this really helps me thank you!

Hiskid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Delightful soul on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:31 am

Amen, that was awesome Mia and you are so right. I understand where you are coming from now and I hope that I was not sounding like a killjoy by what I said, cause you are right, God does not want us to be abused in any way shape or form.

I have come a long way with my folks and it is still a daily walk where I know God is saying to love them for He knows their hearts and they are trying their best.

I have no idea what you family is like and I can understand that you are taking a stand for righteousness which is right to do.

I know that when I left my family 12 years ago, they thought they had lost their daughter, and for a time, they lost me as a friend, but they realised that if they wanted to have a relationship with me, that they would have to respect me. They still hurt me from time to time, but out of ignorance and so when I ask them to not call me names or say things which I find insensitive, they respect my wishes, probabley out of fear that I'll stop the relationship as I have done so in the past.

So I can see how taking a stand for self respect by letting others know what you will not tolerate helps them to change their ways so they can become more loving and respectful themselves.

I guess I was not understanding exactly where you were coming from, so I hope I was not insensitive to your situation.

Blessings sister!

Delightful soul
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:01 am

DS -

I so wish my family would care enough to try.

No worries. Actually your post illuminated the fact that my first post left out a lot of information that really should have been included.

huggins

mia

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Delightful soul on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:06 am

huggins back at ya!

Delightful soul
Mighty Member
Mighty Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove-Solutions on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 pm

Mia,

I like you have a very disfunctional family. They are not quite as physical as yours but words are often worse than the bruises if you know what I mean.

Do you remember when I told you I had to go home last year for a funeral and I was the officiator of that funeral. I begged the Lord to leave me out of it. I did not want to go home. I cried and pleaded with Him. I went home because I love my beloved. I told him on the way I could not do it without him. These people abused me sexually as a child and abuse me with words all the time. Now when it is for their benefit, they want me to come home and officiate at a funeral of a person that I did not care for at all. So I went home and I had the most overwhelming peace and love toward them. I could not describe it. It was like I was there doing what I was suppose to but I was watching myself like on film amazed at the fact that I could withstand the fiery darts being zinged at me. I felt like I was walking into the gates of hell. I so relate to the scripture you read above. The Lord says to remove yourself from evil. I did that for 10 years. You see he knows we don't get to pick our families. So he gives us a heart to love them and to honor them inspite of their unkindness to us. We can love them from a distance though. There is nothing wrong with a long distance relationship. So I totally sympathize with the family thing. Be obedient to the Father and he will give you all the strength you need.

God bless and have an awesome day!

Love in Jesus,

Connie :hearts:

~Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Himand He will direct your path.~ Proverbs 3:5-6

Dove-Solutions

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:20 pm

Connie,

We are your family now. =) That's what I take comfort in.

Most of the dysfunction in my family is verbal and emotional but there is definitely the physical also. I continued socializing with them up until this point because I felt like we are supposed to love the unlovely...etc., and Matthew 5 says, say hello to those who hate you, but now I'm just plain relieved that gave me permission to run from evil. If He ever tells me to go back to socialzing with them I won't hesitate, but for now I can't tell you how relieved I am. Ten years sounds just about right.

Love,

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by munnia on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 am

Mia,

I wanted to thank you so much for posting this message. WOW! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I am from a strong Christian family and married into a very dysfunctional family. I got into several arguments that turned into yelling and badmouthing with the married family because of their lifestyles that I didn't agree with and I struggled being around it. Five years later, I received common sense from the Holy Spirit to be quiet and let it go because no change was going to come from arguing. It is sad to see people not wanting to honor God with their lives but it is freedom for me getting God's blessing in not associating with them. I tried so hard to preach to them but they weren't interested and they didn't care at all for me or my viewpoints. It is nice to let go and let God take care of this messed up family.

munnia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia Sherwood on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:33 am

huggins Thank you so much. It truly blesses me to know that it is a blessing. I cannot even begin to express how much I appreciate it.

Love,

Mia

Mia Sherwood
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum